Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
How about making that little corner where the TV is an office area? Its sort of off to itself-- you could easily put a desk and computer over there.

I would probably warm it up with some nice color on the walls-- terracotta, saffron, autumnal shades, will help. Stay away from beige!
Good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
How about making that little corner where the TV is an office area? Its sort of off to itself-- you could easily put a desk and computer over there.

I would probably warm it up with some nice color on the walls-- terracotta, saffron, autumnal shades, will help. Stay away from beige!
Problem with that is the way the fireplace hearth sticks out. There is only a couple feet of floor space and if you put a desk in there you wouldn't be able to move a chair in and out to actually use the desk. The whole design is just goofy. I'd be tempted to rip out the fireplace or move it to that useless corner where the tv is .

Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Yeah, I'm betting there were two rooms before that they made into one room, and then added the wall between to eat-in area and the fireplace.

Not all remodeling jobs are actual improvements.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Problem with that is the way the fireplace hearth sticks out. There is only a couple feet of floor space and if you put a desk in there you wouldn't be able to move a chair in and out to actually use the desk.
There's plenty of room. I'm always amazed at the amount of space you think people need to move around. The chair wouldn't be backing out to the hearth. It would be backing out past the hearth.

I don't like Kayekaye's idea of drawing more attention to the fireplace disaster via making it a bigger fireplace disaster. The narrow end of the room is not the place for a focal point like that, and will make it difficult to arrange the furniture. The OP already has the furniture arranged facing that side of the room, and we can easily see that's not working out.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: changed vocal to focal --- thanks to a rep comment --- i always mess that up lol

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's plenty of room. I'm always amazed at the amount of space you think people need to move around. The chair wouldn't be backing out to the hearth. It would be backing out past the hearth.
Agreed, a chair will fit quite nicely under a desk and have plenty of room to slide in and out if placed on the side away from the hearth. It's a nice, out of the way space for a desk and if the op needs an office space, it makes perfect sense to use that nook.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Yeah, no specs to see if the chair would stick out of the office nook but make it a nice chair and who cares. It could actually angle into the living room at the very edge of the fireplace area.

I just think it's important to try to work with what you have if you can, unless you are in the position of spending large amounts of money on physical redos. It's very easy to just want to rip things out and redo but unfortunately it's not financially doable for some.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I don't like Kayekaye's idea of drawing more attention to the fireplace disaster via making it a bigger fireplace disaster. The narrow end of the room is not the place for a focal point like that, and will make it difficult to arrange the furniture. The OP already has the furniture arranged facing that side of the room, and we can easily see that's not working out.
Really, a desk top is going to be about 24", minimum...

unless you put the desk at left end of the opening, the hearth is going to create issues...and that would look silly. Look where the leg of the TV stand sits right now....

Wall it in and make it a closet.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Really, a desk top is going to be about 24", minimum...

unless you put the desk at left end of the opening, the hearth is going to create issues...and that would look silly. Look where the leg of the TV stand sits right now....
It won't look silly to the left. Shelving can be put to the right to create a little library type office space. An alternative could be a long desk that extends the entire way. Or an L shaped desk. There's plenty of room. It doesn't matter if a chair pulls out in front of the hearth WHILE someone is using the desk.

Quote:
Wall it in and make it a closet.
That would look silly right next to a fireplace!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
The table that is currently being used as an entry table looks like it would fit perfectly into that nook. With the chair off to the left, it would slide in an out easily.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,049,829 times
How handy is your husband? If it were me I'd build in bookcases on both sides of the fireplace to run the entire length of the wall from floor to ceiling -- I would paint them (probably white, although some people paint the back wall of the bookcases a darker color), not stain them. And I'd probably make a space in the built ins for the TV. Right now it looks like your fireplace is just stuck in an odd place -- I think the built ins would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating