U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,876 times

Advertisements

Finally, 3 years after buying our little house, we got our act together to redo the kitchen. We spent many hours at Lowe's with their designer after deciding to go with Schuler cabinets. They were having a sale and we had a deadline. Everything was figured out except the stain color. We liked the picture in their catalog of a certain color, but they didn't have a sample and we weren't willing to decide based on a picture. The designer helping us said he couldn't get a sample of that particular color, but we found a Medallion dealer who was kind enough to order a sample for us to look at. The Lowe's designer said we could go ahead and order by the sale deadline, but put a "hold" on them until we could see the sample and decide on the color. Sounded great to us, so we did it.
The sample finally came and it was awful! Glad we waited. Only when we went in on Saturday to finalize the order, the designer told us, uh oh, I already ordered it in that color (the very one we ended up not wanting at all.) The cabinets are already built and ready for delivery. He is now trying to convince us that the color isn't all that bad after all, and there's nothing that can be done about it. His mistake, but we have to accept it.
This isn't a situation where we picked a color and then decided we didn't like it after we got it. We never had a chance to pick the color at all! Somehow this guy thought that, because we wanted to see a sample, that must mean we wanted that color. Now he says he doesn't remember anything about putting a hold on it. I am... I don't know, speechless I guess. I mean if it had been our mistake I would be kicking myself, but it was HIS mistake to order the wrong color.
Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening? We were so careful about everything, wanting it all to be "just right". It's just our little house, nothing great, but it's special to us. It's a big deal to us. Are we really stuck with something we dislike so much because the designer wasn't paying attention? We didn't even ask him about putting the order "on hold", he's the one who told us that it was an option!
Anybody out there have any idea of what we should do now? He's actually been telling us that we'll "grow to like it" and that "it's not that bad".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM

15,857 posts, read 33,593,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randnday View Post
Finally, 3 years after buying our little house, we got our act together to redo the kitchen. We spent many hours at Lowe's with their designer after deciding to go with Schuler cabinets. They were having a sale and we had a deadline. Everything was figured out except the stain color. We liked the picture in their catalog of a certain color, but they didn't have a sample and we weren't willing to decide based on a picture. The designer helping us said he couldn't get a sample of that particular color, but we found a Medallion dealer who was kind enough to order a sample for us to look at. The Lowe's designer said we could go ahead and order by the sale deadline, but put a "hold" on them until we could see the sample and decide on the color. Sounded great to us, so we did it.
The sample finally came and it was awful! Glad we waited. Only when we went in on Saturday to finalize the order, the designer told us, uh oh, I already ordered it in that color (the very one we ended up not wanting at all.) The cabinets are already built and ready for delivery. He is now trying to convince us that the color isn't all that bad after all, and there's nothing that can be done about it. His mistake, but we have to accept it.
This isn't a situation where we picked a color and then decided we didn't like it after we got it. We never had a chance to pick the color at all! Somehow this guy thought that, because we wanted to see a sample, that must mean we wanted that color. Now he says he doesn't remember anything about putting a hold on it. I am... I don't know, speechless I guess. I mean if it had been our mistake I would be kicking myself, but it was HIS mistake to order the wrong color.
Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening? We were so careful about everything, wanting it all to be "just right". It's just our little house, nothing great, but it's special to us. It's a big deal to us. Are we really stuck with something we dislike so much because the designer wasn't paying attention? We didn't even ask him about putting the order "on hold", he's the one who told us that it was an option!
Anybody out there have any idea of what we should do now? He's actually been telling us that we'll "grow to like it" and that "it's not that bad".
Unless you signed something you are not liable. If you signed it, your stuck. If they push this, have your friendly neighborhood attorney write CORPORATE a letter. That should be the end of it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 PM

22,155 posts, read 29,587,218 times
Usually you sign a bunch of paper work stating you are purchasing x type of cabinet in x color. Have you paid for the cabinets? Usually all the paperwork order and payment are done at once. If he ordered and you haven't paid then simply don't pay. If you signed and paid you bought them.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM

17,083 posts, read 26,840,876 times
Default Ask the sales question

Quote:
Now he says he doesn't remember anything about putting a hold on it.
And, did he need to "get the order in" to meet a weekly/monthly/sales contest goal?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,170,814 times
What lead time did they have on the cabinets? usually an SOS (Special Order) takes at least 2 weeks to fill and in the case of kitchen cabinets up to 6 weeks so I very much doubt (unless you were really lax in the time it took to get back to him) that the order is filled.
I have a feeling he jumped the gun and placed the order to make a sales target, either way you should have been there to approve costs etc and sign the SOS paperwork when the order was placed, no customer signature .. no order.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 AM

248 posts, read 826,326 times
Quote:
I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm not sure what you can do at this point unless they have a return policy.

This is a good example of why I won't sell a cabinet to a customer without a sample.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 103,257,358 times
How did he order the cabinets when you didn't pay for them?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM

1,323 posts, read 3,286,497 times
I know how disappointed you feel when you wait and save for something that you want to be perfect. It is hard to say how this happened - could have been a salesperson's desire to make a quota deadline or human error. Your salesman could be a real sleaze or just forgetful. It happens.

I would explain the problem respectfully to a manager and ask to see the paperwork. It sounds like you completed all the paperwork on your end to take advantage of a sale and wanted to cement the deal once you saw the sample and would ok it either on the phone or in person. That is always an iffy thing to do. When someone offers me something like that - I always get it in writing because you never know if the person will even be working there in a week.

In my experience, Lowe's has been easy to work with but I would take it up the chain of command until they offered me a solution. Having your as a happy customer is no small deal when you consider all the appliances and products you may buy there in the future but I would not accept a kitchen that I hated. Life is too short to hate anything in your home.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,278,909 times
Quote:

Go around this guy, talk store management .... Wishing you luck ...

Old 03-11-2014, 05:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,746,443 times
If the order/contract you signed clearly states what you told us, there shouldn't be any problems: "hold" until we see the sample and decide on the color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating