Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,718,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wait... What??? No! The house we're in right Now is the rental. It's a very "blah" 70's tri-level that we bought for cheap after spending way to long in my in-laws guest house (a 500sq/ft bare stud and uninsulated cabin). This home pictured above is where we're moving once purchased (assuming inspection doesn't turn up anything major, though I doubt it after going over the place myself) and renovations are complete.

whew!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to know!!!!! Love the house. Please post pics once you guys get moved in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM

415 posts, read 760,710 times
agree, tudor more than a cape, I live in a cape...

Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,707,159 times
Tudor Revival. Geez people, get you terms straight! They were very popular in the 20's and 30's.

It's a beautful house however you name it!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
OMG, I'm so jealous! Can you post more photos -- I'll bet the bathrooms have character.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
This style is very common here in Denver. Some have the stucco and wood beams, some are more "storybook" style. But very similar to this.

I was just thinking to myself the other day that the English style of architecture must have been really popular in the 30s or so, considering how many of these houses they built. And many in Denver are huge, almost mansions. (and then other streets have the smaller ones). I'd be interested to find out the history behind this trend back then. Why they built so many in this style at that time.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,339,311 times
Bathrooms aren't original. This is the "guest", no plaster left and the tub may be beyond salvage (20% of the porcelain is gone ~ I really don't want to acrylic paint the thing, might try pulling it for powdercoat), tile work is newbie DIYer (well, grout, I'll remove and do it better):

'Master" bath is orignal walls, no shower, tub in much better condition but the walls have newer tile that doesn't really appeal to us. Plan is to gut, match the floors and wainscoting to the other bath, convert a dresser to be the vanity and add a shower to the tub:

It is a good looking home, really just needs some TLC (like the front steps on the far right, they are the same brick as the home just covered with moss, they look grey in photos and in person). Inspection is Monday @ 9:30

Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
Thanks so much for posting the photos. I agree that the updates arent in keeping with the character of the house. But, oh, those wide window frames are lovely -- and I can just imagine your excitement in bringing it back to life. I love your ideas for doing that and hope you'll post before-and-after photos when you do that.

Good luck with the inspection!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
Pretty, pretty. I think any updates you do will be better than a lot of what was already done. The white trim is wonderful, but I am not so sure it is period perfect. But, if you love it, then you should keep it.

Those old homes generally had a "crystal" chandelier in the dining room. At least old homes in St. Louis did. I know this because I had a used one in a newer house, and I saw its twin in an old brick home in that area. The chandelier was actually glass, I am sure.

I think work you will be doing on this cutie pie will be a labor of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating