Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

I would like to use ceramic subway tile for a backsplash behind my freestanding stove, Should it go all the way to the floor? The stove cannot be flush to the wall because of the gas hook up. One side of the stove is next to a counter but the other side is open. I am afraid it will look unfinished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
You should be able to get your stove pretty close to the wall with a gas hookup. If you're really concerned, you can have the tile along the edge going down to the floor for appearances, but there is no reason for the entire wall to be tiled behind the stove.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,524 times
I had this dilemma with the wall behind my fridge after we remodeled our kitchen, we reconfigured our cabinets and fridge and the contractor only finished the wall behind the fridge down to the countertops, I was concerned that it would show so I forced the issue of having the entire wall finished and I'm glad I did because you can see it. So I would tile the whole way down, it's a good heat shield, easy to keep clean if you decide to pull your stove out and you should to avoid accumulation of dust, hair, and food that can dry up and catch on fire and if you ever move and take your stove with you, it will look nice for the new owner and in the long run, the cost or tiling all the way down won't matter financially.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Tiling that space is way more expensive than painting an unpainted wall.

There is no need to do the whole area whatsoever.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:15 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I agree with Hopes, but with one question. If you are entering/leaving the kitchen is your line of sight to the exposed side of the stove perpendicular to the stove or parallel to it? In other words, are you looking at the front of the stove or the exposed side of the stove as you enter or leave? I had a gas stove and it was pretty snug to the wall, so I would first see how far from the wall it will be and unless you can see behind it as you enter or leave, I would do exactly as HOPES suggested and run a row from top to bottom on the outside edge of the stove back wall. Now, my advice changes if you can see behind the stove as you enter/leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating