Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 17,491 times

Advertisements

I am looking to update my traditional living room- by giving it a rustic feel. I do not want to change my furniture. I would rather just add in new pieces to build in the rustic theme. Is this possible? Any ideas?
Here is a picture of my current furniture: Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I see no picture! And this is something that interests me because when my husband and I got married, he had all rustic stuff and I had all traditional and we had to marry the two styles.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I see no picture! And this is something that interests me because when my husband and I got married, he had all rustic stuff and I had all traditional and we had to marry the two styles.
I always enjoy seeing the end results when this happens. I've seen some pretty interesting mixes!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM

For some reason my pics are not uploading what am I doing wrong?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Were you able to blend the styles well to look good. Or do you think it pays to just start from scratch or stick with the traditional?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 AM

Since I can't seem to upload the pics I will tell you- I have a brown leather nailhead sofa and an ornate traditional cherry wood coffee table. I plan to buy a rug with brown, oranges, green, and camel color in it. I plan to paint and to buy new throw pillows that maybe will tie it together. I also bought some lanterns and an old trunk as an end table. I am not sure though that it will all work together.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM

400 posts, read 793,298 times
You can see the pictures here too //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...tic-decor.html
As I said in the other thread, pillows work wonders. There are so many gorgeous throw pillows in place like Target or Home Goods that would go really well on a brown leather couch.

The legs are very ornate on your coffee table. I know that you said you planned to paint -- did you mean the walls or the furniture? I'm a huge advocate of painting a piece to transform it, but that looks like a pain to paint. Does the glass come out? I wonder if you would be able to do something with that.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Wow- what a great idea! Thanks!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think your sofa and coffee table will be fine in a rustic setting. You need to get rid of the matching pillows and pick ones that have lots of texture.

Traditional furniture is often used in rustic décor. Look at the great lodges in the national parks. Yosemite comes to mind. Google image "luxury hunting lodge" pictures. It's a bonus you already have a leather sofa. You just need a lot of deep rich earth tone colors----rich browns, burnt orange, etc. Lots of different rich textures. You can even reupholster the fabric portion of your sofa if you want.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,842 times
Try adding some rustic book shelves or even wine racks, they add a nice rustic feel. With the decor you mentioned some hand hewn rustic pieces on the walls might go really well. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating