Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,053,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl81 View Post
if you like it, what others think shouldn't matter.
amen!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM

2,618 posts, read 7,021,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Almost anything can look good if it's put together right. I meant a picture of the actual room. I don't think those things are necessarily dated - it just depends on how they look in the room. There is the danger of going a little 80's, but if the furniture is more contemporary then most likely it isn't noticeably so.
Picture of room won't help, it's all messed up and filled with other stuff at the moment. But I think I get the picture, thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

18,368 posts, read 18,996,443 times
the look is classic, much like french country or traditional or contemporary. especially if it is high end and placed well without being over done.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,445,190 times
There's a world of difference between very high quality "original" Asian artwork and antique furniture and the cheap knockoffs that became popular in the 1960s-1980s under various guises, just as there's a difference between original 18th century Chippendale chairs and cheap 1990s knockoffs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your house is very cluttered. But if you pack away the clutter and let the quality of your Asian artwork and furniture truly shine, it can make the house appear more impressive to the prospective buyers.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM

24,428 posts, read 25,951,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Particularly for those under 40? I speak of fine art such as large Japanese screens/scrolls, fine Chinese antique tables, stuff like that. Not cheap knock-offs or reproductions but real 19th century (or earlier) antiques costing $$thousands and up. This stuff is in an otherwise contemporary decorating scheme with large (say, 4'x6' and larger), nonrepresentational (aka abstract) oil paintings. Comments welcome.
My MIL has been collecting Asian art and furniture since the 50's and she still loves it. Visitor to her place liken it to a museum. If she has a fault, to me she has so much of it that it's started to look cluttered.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,059,822 times
Yes, it's out of style for younger buyers, but that may not matter depending on the house. It's fine if your house is somewhat period correct and style consistent. If you're trying to present the house as modern, current and updated that's not the way to go.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,046,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Yes, it's out of style for younger buyers, but that may not matter depending on the house. It's fine if your house is somewhat period correct and style consistent. If you're trying to present the house as modern, current and updated that's not the way to go.
I agree with this.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM

41,923 posts, read 75,097,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
When are people going to get over the fact that they're not purchasing the items in the home, but the home itself? I guess you can't fix stupid.

Anyway, a house with antiques can absolutely look "modern, current and updated". I guess "younger buyers" have no imagination ...

Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,216,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you like it, what others think shouldn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When are people going to get over the fact that they're not purchasing the items in the home, but the home itself? I guess you can't fix stupid.

Anyway, a house with antiques can absolutely look "modern, current and updated". I guess "younger buyers" have no imagination ...
for Ohiogirl. As for the original question - If you like Asian Art put it up. Just to let you know that
many artists such as Van Gogh and Gauguin were inspired by Asian art.
Regarding the furniture post, I'd suggest a simple design for the sofa.

http://theluxhome.com/wp-content/upl...ted-sofa-1.jpg

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/p...32-1732315.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8s1TB229vsg/TK...jpg?imgmax=800

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,857,349 times
If you like it, go for it. Asian art isn't my personal thing, but it's your house so you can decorate it as you please Don't let trends dictate what you can / cannot do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating