Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:58 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When are people going to get over the fact that they're not purchasing the items in the home, but the home itself? I guess you can't fix stupid.

Anyway, a house with antiques can absolutely look "modern, current and updated". I guess "younger buyers" have no imagination ...
OP is asking specifically about staging the home. Presumably they are in a market where that is the norm. The point of staging is to sell the house, regardless of what each individual buyer may like. What it is not is an opportunity to showcase your decorating taste which may or may not mesh well with the intended buyer.

Personally, I prefer to see houses close to or completely empty but that isn't always practical nor is it to everyone's taste. If the staging makes the house look less stylish or more outdated than it is, which is certainly possible, it may only draw bids from people pricing in a substantial renovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
OP is asking specifically about staging the home. Presumably they are in a market where that is the norm. The point of staging is to sell the house, regardless of what each individual buyer may like. What it is not is an opportunity to showcase your decorating taste which may or may not mesh well with the intended buyer.

Personally, I prefer to see houses close to or completely empty but that isn't always practical nor is it to everyone's taste. If the staging makes the house look less stylish or more outdated than it is, which is certainly possible, it may only draw bids from people pricing in a substantial renovation.
Depends on the market. In a sellers' market, the decor of an otherwise solid home with good bones probably won't make much difference. In a buyers' market, it might.

We bought a home that needed substantial redecoration. We chose it because it was by far the best home for us that we found in three hard months of visiting homes. We would not have bought it if it needed actual rehabbing or renovation though. The house we sold had ourselves stamped all over it. I left some family photos out, and some of my choices for the home were so old I felt it dated itself. But the family who bought it were looking for a home that had the things our home had, and they were happily planning to repaint and make it their own.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
In general, imo, younger buyers do not have any appreciation for antiques of any kind.

On the other hand, I don't think you have to bow to every staging rule to sell your house. The problem with a ton of taste specific stuff is that if you make a buyers list of houses they are considering, you don't want to become the Chinese house when you could pack up part of the stuff and then go on their list as the Amazing Kitchen house or some other great feature of your house rather than its décor.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 AM

382 posts, read 628,487 times
Quote:
If OP is looking for advice on staging, they might start by looking at how new homes in their area are staged. Builders spend a lot of effort to understand what appeals to the widest audience of buyers.

The point above is well said. Taste specific items run the risk of turning off potential buyers. Few people can look beyond the cosmetic. OTOH, the OP's house needs to differentiate itself from the dozen or so other homes potential buyers look at, and can get lost in the crowd if too bland (e.g. all white/beige walls).

Items like the ones the OP posted can be okay, but they must be "tastefully" staged...they cannot be the main focus. It may help to have a more objective third party review and stage the home, and may well be worth the money in this specific circumstance. I've used stagers for that reason and believe they more than made up for their relatively small cost.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Depends on the market. In a sellers' market, the decor of an otherwise solid home with good bones probably won't make much difference. In a buyers' market, it might.
Where I'm at most houses are staged even though there is only 3 weeks of inventory. I've even seen a few tear downs/major rehabs priced under $500K that were staged. Maybe it's a regional thing in that even the low end crap boxes get prettied up before sale.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Where I'm at most houses are staged even though there is only 3 weeks of inventory. I've even seen a few tear downs/major rehabs priced under $500K that were staged. Maybe it's a regional thing in that even the low end crap boxes get prettied up before sale.
I looked at homes for three months solid in 2012, and I only saw one staged home. But we were not looking at homes in the price range you mention. It might be something that is commonly done with higher end homes.

I sold my home without benefit of staging, although I was told it showed very well.

I think the important thing is to show off the home, and its potential, not the furnishings. A well staged home should do that.

The staged home that I saw was overdone, IMO.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM

382 posts, read 628,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I looked at homes for three months solid in 2012, and I only saw one staged home. But we were not looking at homes in the price range you mention. It might be something that is commonly done with higher end homes.

I sold my home without benefit of staging, although I was told it showed very well.

I think the important thing is to show off the home, and its potential, not the furnishings. A well staged home should do that.

The staged home that I saw was overdone, IMO.
Going through a formal process or hiring someone for "staging" is not common, but is starting to gain traction. And, it probably depends on what city it is.

Some (many?) people have an intuitive talent for "staging" but might not think of it so in those terms, but it comes through in how their house "shows".

One can get a good sense of the prevalence in staging for a location by looking at the photos on the MLS (e.g. realtor.com).

Also note, (surprisingly) it seems many realtors evidently don't even see the value of decent photography, so they may not be a good source of advice on what to do regarding staging.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Screams of late 70's/early 80's to me... but that's because it's what my parents did at that time. I couldn't do it in my own home... but would you decorate in the same way as Your parents?
Lots of people do. They replicate the environment they grew up in.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 PM

40 posts, read 91,502 times
I think it really depends. I do think early 80s a bit but I think it can be incorporated into current designs as well. Really it doesn't matter as long as you like it. Your home should be what you like.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewSweets View Post
I think it really depends. I do think early 80s a bit but I think it can be incorporated into current designs as well. Really it doesn't matter as long as you like it. Your home should be what you like.
Would you advise someone who likes bondage and S&M to stage their house for sale as a sex dungeon because that's what they like? I guess if they're selling it FSBO through craigslist that could work but I suspect most agents prepping for a regular MLS listing might caution against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating