Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

Just moved into a new apartment and bought a futon that is Union Jack print (picture below). After buying it I realized that I had no idea sort of pillows to get to put on it. I'm assuming just navy, white, or red pillows would be fine, but perhaps some of you have better ideas. I'm relatively new to decorating and buying furniture, so any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 PM

I'd really like to hear any ideas specifically about colors other than navy, red, or white. I just feel like that's what everyone would put with it.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I get what you mean about wanting something that isn't ordinary, but the futon is so bold that I would hesitate to put contrasting color pillows on it. Complimentary colors would be blue-orange and red-green. I can see using a bold yellow, maybe, but against the bold design of the futon, the thing would practically levitate.

What you might think about is a small print or plaid in the same colors as the sofa. You'd get the unexpected, but without having to wear sunglasses.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Since it's already a 'kitschy' statement couch... even though it seems to go against existing design norms (of less is more), I'd actually put some kitschy / fun / statement throw pillows on there, and keep in with the fun British theme!

For example:

Things like that Yes, it will look OTT, but it will look so much fun!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 AM

Thank you both so much for the ideas, I love them! I wouldn't have thought of them at all, I'm not very good at decorating yet. I really love the idea of blue-orange. And I'm definitely going to be getting the Keep Calm And Carry On pillows. My boyfriend is going to kill me, but I'll just swap between them every couple weeks

Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default It does not matter

Come October 2014, after the vote, you will have to remove the Cross of St Andrew from your Union Jack.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

From the look of the polls, it appears to be about a 50/50 split as to whether the Scots will vote for independence or not. I honestly don't see it happening. The major concern is that Scotland will no longer be a part of the EU, and gaining membership won't be so easy.

Back in 99, Australia held a referendum regarding becoming a republic, and everyone thought it was a sure thing... But nope, Australia still has the Union Jack on the flag and Queen on the coins. It didn't pass, and I don't think Scotland's will either. I may be proven wrong. We'll see!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Does anyone beside me feel this futon is in highly questionable taste? I sure wouldn't like it if this was an American flag.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 PM

I think in the right setting it could work. I personally wouldn't put it in my living room but that's because my living room is 1950s Danish Modern furniture, so it just wouldn't work. However, I could probably put something similar (or with the American flag, for that matter) in the Bar Area in the basement and it would work because it's kitschy and OTT down there (previous owners decor for the most part) anyway.

In the right living room though, with the right decor surrounding it (white, black, minimalist, with white walls) I think it could be an effective centerpiece.

This obviously isn't the sofa, but it shows how a statement sofa can work in an otherwise neutral room... although I have to admit to HATING HATING HATING the bone trophy and the cow hide floor rug! I would prefer something else there instead!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM

382 posts, read 628,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Does anyone beside me feel this futon is in highly questionable taste? I sure wouldn't like it if this was an American flag.
The "taste" is in how it works with the rest of what's there.

As for the throw pillows and accessories....suggest complementary colors (blues, reds, whites) and less "busy" patterns. The "Keep Calm..." and Bulldog pillows mentioned above are good examples that also play on the cultural theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating