Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times

Advertisements

My favorite style is back tab - easy to open and close, but from the front they look like rod-pocket curtains - but they're hard to find. Grommets are OK, and if you like them, that's all that matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
I have grommet curtains in my bathroom, I made them myself with a kit from Joanns and a shower curtain. For the bathroom they look fine not so sure about in other rooms though.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
grommets are the best solution for people who need to open and close their curtains daily. The only other solution for daily use would be pinch pleated on a pulley rod system, but they look very outdated and the pulley systems can malfunction.
Exactly! I LOVE them! They are so easy to open and close and they fit well in my contemporary style home. I have them in the breakfast area, family room and one bedroom. I'm looking for more for another bedroom. I don't think they're right for my living and dining rooms because they have palladium-like windows and honestly, I can't think of anything that would look good on them.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I don't think they're right for my living and dining rooms because they have palladium-like windows and honestly, I can't think of anything that would look good on them.
There are many ugly treatments for palladium windows, but check out these ideas:

Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,007 times
Grommet curtains remind me of shower curtains too. I just don't like that look for my house.

Every curtain/drape in my house is rod pocket, with the exception of the master bedroom, which has pinch pleat with clip on rings. I wasn't real sure that I was going to like the pinch pleat look, thinking it looked too formal, but I love it. I don't open and close them, so I don't have to worry about how well they slide.

The only other exception is a faux Roman shade that I just finished making for the glass block window in the master bath. That was a fun little project. I even blinged it up, which is highly unusual for me, with some of that beaded fringe.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a very traditional home so I stick with the traverse rod pinch pleated curtains in my living room. I also have roman shades in my dining room that remain at half mast. The house has a large bubble tub in the bath that has a huge window (54 inches x 54 inches in that tub, that starts at 4 feet off the ground what the hell were they thinking) so there are shutters covering that area. The point being that while traditional in style, I have certain areas that really don't do "Traditional" like the tub, which I have the pleasure of cleaning despite never using. Note to self: project for this summer, buy plywood, foam and fabric and cover the hole.

Every time I look at the grommet curtains all I can "see" is a shower curtain. That said, I do like them but they don't work in my home.
I have the same situation! My tub is set up two steps, with a tile surround. But the large window is not transparent. It allows light in, but that is all. We have hung an old stained glass window in that very large window.

I cleaned the beast yesterday. I have horrible knees. I have to lay on my belly to get to the tub to clean it. What a pain. And I've used it once in 1 1/2 years. I keep thinking that I should use it, but I never do. I wish the entire area was one of those showers that sprays water from all directions. That I would enjoy.

I didn't put any window covering on the large translucent window except for the hanging stained glass.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are many ugly treatments for palladium windows, but check out these ideas:

OK FYI, these are Palladian style windows. Palladian is always capitalized because it from the Renaissance architect, Andrea Palladio.

Palladian architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK FYI, these are Palladian style windows. Palladian is always capitalized because it from the Renaissance architect, Andrea Palladio.

Palladian architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay, I spelled it wrong and didn't capitalize it, but I'm sure Sheepie2000 meant an arched-top window similar in the pictures I showed when she said hers are "palladium-like." If you google image the word the way you spell it, similar pictures of windows and window treatments result. I don't care either way because I'm just trying to help someone find curtains that look good on windows with an arch top.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
I like them. I just bought some for our living room-but haven't put them up yet.

Cat

Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
I like grommet curtains, they look contemporary but can also look good in a traditional home. I like the way they hang from the rod. It is a nice look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating