Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 12,908 times

Advertisements

Wow! I didn't realize only "architects" could do floor plans! And seriously "just a CAD operator"? Obviously no one has seen/heard of the old German dog-trot style of home. Thanks for the posts but no further input is necessary or welcome. God bless you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The style of the home isn't the problem. I like the dogtrot/breezeway and large great room parts of the plan. It's the two wings that are a mess. You think we're being rude, but we're being honest. If you build that house, you'll remember our words as you realize how awkward many areas of the house are. Those weird double doors on the half bath and whatever that other little room is (bar? closet?) in the sunroom are cumbersome. Only spouses want to share closet in bedrooms. You'll be running into each other constantly in that maze of hallways and overabundance of doorways and little rooms. I could go on and on. You're going to regret this.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-06-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM

Hopes, I don't know which plan your looking at but none of the bedrooms share a closet. The kids' rooms have a jack and Jill bathroom but everything else is separate. Same with the master, closets are separate and then hubby has his gun closet. See attached, if you care to...

Last edited by Shawnapal; 05-10-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I'm not going to comment on the design of the house other than the kitchen, since that's what the OP specifically asked about.

First of all, goodness me, you'll have less cabinet space than I do (I have a small 1950s kitchen). However, where there's a will, there's a way!

One of my upper cabinets I use for every day glasses, mugs, plates and bowls. I stack everything on each shelf (including the mugs) to make the most of the space

My second cabinet houses large pots (stacked within each other like a babooshka doll) and mixing bowls (also stacked). However, since it sounds like you may have more lower counter space, these could probably go in there.

I have a Spice Rack affixed to the wall, so my spices don't take up counter space or cabinet space.

One of the lower cabinets is where I keep all of my appliances such as my toaster, waffle maker, food processor, etc. I keep my Kitchenaid on the counter, only because it's too heavy to keep bringing out every time I need it.

I used to keep my electric kettle in the lower cabinet as well, but I now use it daily to boil water to sanitize my babies bottles, so I have that on the counter right now.

All of my other saucepans and frypans are also in the lower cabinets.

For my 'good' tableware (my Fiestaware, good glassware, etc), I have all of that in a display cabinet in my dining room. It looks pretty enough as decoration when not in use, after all!

I recommend getting a display cabinet for your good dinnerware and glassware as well, although due to the lack of wall space, perhaps get some double sided cabinets that you can see right through, so they can be utilized away from a wall? Also, they would help 'divide up' the space a bit, which is nice to do in great rooms such as the one in your plans.

Good Luck to you and I hope that helps!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Hi Glamatomic! Thank you so much for the great ideas and kind words. I appreciate you focusing on the question about the cabinets, or lack thereof, versus beating up on me and my designer about the house design. We are still in the "working the kinks out" phase so things are not set in stone yet.

We're thinking about removing the two outside doors (front and back) closest to the kitchen and leaving as just walls to give me some more wall and counter space.

Again, thank you for the post and wonderful advice. Have a nice evening!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
According to Jonathan's website; he's an over glorified CAD drawer. Not an architect- and it shows!
I find no merit to this "design" at all- though I have seen similar common area designs in the past.

If you put a pool in the the living/dining main hall it would make a fabulous pool house!

I'm with Trapper on this- too much disconnect/wasted space. But; if you like it, can live with it, and believe its your Taj Mahal, who am I to argue with that?

Congratulations; good luck, hope YOU love it!
That is what I was wandering; why no architect that you have seen other homes designed by? One that could easily meet with and answer all your questions.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 AM

I have all that input and knowledge with our designer, I just wanted to get some outside opinions. I thought that was what this forum was all about....to get other points of views from those living in a similar floor plan, area, etc. I asked about the kitchen and was rudely informed that my floor plan sucked. I'm sure those that did so are "experts" themselves and ride high on their horses to boot!!! Hahaha! With the exception of one poster, I guess I have assumed incorrectly about the sites intent...you know what they say when one "ass u me"(s) anyway! I have no intention of asking for anything further after this experience so no worries.....God bless, Shawpal

Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
So, you posted "to get other points of views", get mad when you get those opinions you asked for... and now lower yourself to calling them names.

Nice....

Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Does anyone remember this statement-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnapal View Post
Thanks for the posts but no further input is necessary or welcome.

How about we all heed this request and there will be no further name-calling, or insulting remarks(?) and the OP will fade away...

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM

60 posts, read 286,381 times
Shawnapal I posted advice earlier and I really hope you take it. I suggested you visit the "building a home" thread on GardenWeb. There are many genuinely helpful, knowledgeable people there who can help you with your plan, make suggestions and point out things you may not have thought of. They were very helpful to me in suggesting useful changes and additions to our floor plan before we started building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating