Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If you go with a painting, I would try something a bit narrower and lean it against the wall rather than hang it with x inches all around. That just looks odd.

I also think it might look better unframed. I would choose something abstract that has some of the colors from your rug. That would throw the formal traditional off balance a bit.

I think topiaries on each side would look good. Not the formal boxwood type, but something softer to smudge all the hard edges.
I like the idea of something unframed - thank you.

I also really like the idea of the topiaries! What a good idea - something sort of fun and whimsical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
Lovely house, what great curb appeal!

I'm partial to the idea of a big brass plate type thing. Although I have no idea what this would be properly called, nor where you would find one. Bonus points if it's a formerly functional antique, like a part of a printing press or something.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Lovely house, what great curb appeal!

I'm partial to the idea of a big brass plate type thing. Although I have no idea what this would be properly called, nor where you would find one. Bonus points if it's a formerly functional antique, like a part of a printing press or something.
Yes. I am loving the idea of something big and bronze or brass or copper and ROUND preferably. Hmmmm - now I am deep in thought.

Thanks about the house by the way. I wish the back yard was as nice as the front - it's nearly a complete redo and ...just wow...I will get overwhelmed if I think about that right now! LOL

Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
I love it the way it is now, and love the white overall. Course white is my favorite color and I could live in a total white room from top to bottom, with a few punches of color. Each to their own, I'm sure you will find something you love with all the skill you have.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I love it the way it is now, and love the white overall. Course white is my favorite color and I could live in a total white room from top to bottom, with a few punches of color. Each to their own, I'm sure you will find something you love with all the skill you have.
Oh I love the white trim and molding - I'm just a little put off by the carved embellishments (but they may look nice too when it's all put together - we'll see!). We are putting hardwood floors in so that will help our darker furniture and accessories blend in better I think. I love our furniture and the rug and all our doodads so I am not going to refurnish the room just to match the trim. But I like the trim anyway, so the challenge is going to be blending it all together! Thank you for the vote of confidence!

(I love whites and neutrals too - in other peoples' homes! There's something about two seventy pound dogs, a seventeen pound cat and seven grandkids that seems like the kiss of death for white interiors to me! I think that's one reason why I like leather so much...)

Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
My 2 cents worth, first impression, is I'm getting a disconnect between the style of the mantle and the brick hearth. I might consider staining the pilasters over the mantle to counter the visual weight of the hearth.

I think the painting the sellers have over it is too big.

I have dealt with the same dilemma in my house in which the area over the mantle is quite small. I opted for a small print and a grouping of pottery. Perhaps just try a group of 3 small pictures or plates, etc. and some nice candlesticks and see how that looks.
I know you have tons of things you could experiment with already. Just live with it empty for a week or two and I bet you'll think of the perfect thing to put there. Then, your problem will be which box that thing is in LOL.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My 2 cents worth, first impression, is I'm getting a disconnect between the style of the mantle and the brick hearth. I might consider staining the pilasters over the mantle to counter the visual weight of the hearth.

I think the painting the sellers have over it is too big.

I have dealt with the same dilemma in my house in which the area over the mantle is quite small. I opted for a small print and a grouping of pottery. Perhaps just try a group of 3 small pictures or plates, etc. and some nice candlesticks and see how that looks.
I know you have tons of things you could experiment with already. Just live with it empty for a week or two and I bet you'll think of the perfect thing to put there. Then, your problem will be which box that thing is in LOL.
You hit the nail on the head - THIS is what was bothering me (among other little elements) about this fireplace. I really love the rustic feel of the bricks and they are a pleasant color (I like bricks that have that antiqued look with bits of chalky paint left on them like these have so I do NOT want to paint those bricks!). You are right - and that's why my mind was going to painting the mantel and pilasters in a rich satin paint color like a deep moss green.

And also, I think you're right about the painting size being wrong. Wow, that painting just set in that molding like it is has been bothering the heck out of me. I'm not sure what I'll put there but I am sure what I WON'T put there, which is some similar size of painting. It needs something like you and others have mentioned - either something round, or something tall and propped on the mantel, or a smaller painting or print or plate OFFSET with a grouping of pottery. Something NOT SQUARE.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,060 times
Congratulations on your new house! It is lovely but I see what you are saying about the style difference.

First, I don't think painting the molding or tiling is a "bad" idea if it appeals to you ! I think too many times people are intimidated by popular opinion and the most interesting homes are those that don't follow the general rules and truly reflect the owner's personality! For some reason, we don't think it is a viable choice until we see it in a magazine photo!

My suggestion is to live with the room as it is for a short time. Move your things in and see what still appeals to you and what does not. I have made changes in rooms based on past likes only to find that they had changed. There is nothing like a new background to allow yourself to get out of a rut.

The one thing I can say that I think the room needs something live. I know the pictures were for the sale but maybe add some plants to the mantel until you make a final decision.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I think the brick is staying, because we don't need to play UP the formality of the room's architecture, we need to play it down. If you think the brick is too rustic, just wait till I move that leather sofa and leather cocktail ottoman in there!

I like the millwork and the molding in the room too though. So I think it's going to stay. I can possibly paint the mantel a contrasting color...we'll see. I certainly won't do anything to it till I find just the right thing to hang above it - whatever that is needs to set the stage for the rest of it.

I LOVE your idea about a big embossed brass plate - I know just the item you're talking about. THAT is the sort of statement piece I'm gravitating toward, rather than an expected framed piece of art. Not that a framed painting wouldn't work, but if I go that route I really need to jazz up whatever goes on either side of it, because the space needs a STATEMENT.

Now you're going to have me scouring antique and resale shops and eBay for a big round brass plate thingie! Or hmmmmm, any sort of really big round thing (other than a mirror) would be good. I like the idea of round inside that square molding. Food for thought.....what other things are round....
In my opinion, the whole fireplace should go...but since you live in Texas it makes sense to have one. Personally, and this is only what I would do, I would get rid of the mantle/mill work all together and either brick and layer the entire area up the wall with a simple brick mantle, or; use river rock in the same manner but with a simple wooden plank as a mantle. I wouldn't hang anything above it, either, but....if I did it would be something wooden like a hanging chime clock (you know, the kind with a pendulum). Or wooden shutters complete with antique hardware. Or maybe two more wooden shelves for looks.

That would allow "me" to play down the room, would go with the rustic/country theme, and would make a statement without being an anchor in the room.

The whole point of the mantle is to help catch smoke from the fireplace, however, at some point in time it became the center piece of the room. I am of the belief that unless one lives in a Victorian home or has an otherwise ornate home, the mantle area should be as simple as possible. In my opinion a not-in-use fireplace is a dirty blackhole that is not very pleasant to look at unless it has some sort of cover. I would do as little as possible to draw attention to it. I mean, would you remove the door to your oven?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Quote:
In my opinion, the whole fireplace should go...but since you live in Texas it makes sense to have one. Personally, and this is only what I would do, I would get rid of the mantle/mill work all together and either brick and layer the entire area up the wall with a simple brick mantle, or; use river rock in the same manner but with a simple wooden plank as a mantle.
Yikes! I LOVE having a fireplace and I like the overall looks of this one - in this house. If I was building a house, I wouldn't have chosen all this particular style of crown molding and trim, but it does fit the style of the house. And I also love a mantel, so I appreciate your opinion on it but I can't go there!

As for river rock and a simple wooden plank for a mantel, I really like that look in a more rustic house. In fact, I LOVE that look, but I don't think it will work at all in this particular house.

Quote:
That would allow "me" to play down the room, would go with the rustic/country theme, and would make a statement without being an anchor in the room.
Hmmm, I don't really want to play down the room, and I like a fireplace that is the focal point of a room, so I don't have those particular issues to deal with.

Quote:
The whole point of the mantle is to help catch smoke from the fireplace, however, at some point in time it became the center piece of the room. I am of the belief that unless one lives in a Victorian home or has an otherwise ornate home, the mantle area should be as simple as possible. In my opinion a not-in-use fireplace is a dirty blackhole that is not very pleasant to look at unless it has some sort of cover. I would do as little as possible to draw attention to it. I mean, would you remove the door to your oven?
Though this is an actual wood burning fireplace, it is fitted with nice gas logs, so it's not blackened and unattractive. It has no smoke residue in it or around it. I really like gas logs in the winter time - here in Texas we don't really need a fireplace for heat as much as simple ambiance. We will have a screen over it when not in use however.

Our decorating style is not cabin rustic - it's sort of Old World rustic. We have some pretty large and formal antique pieces as well. Over time I think it will be easier to "formal up" our decorating style a bit rather than tearing out trim and a fireplace that we both think is pretty overall, even though it's more formal than we currently have.

But I do appreciate your feedback and the thought you put into responding to my call for ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating