Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,194,053 times

Advertisements

Love the new house Kathryn! Good luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
We closed on it today!

Let the fun begin! Floors are being measured for a few areas of carpet Wednesday and the hardwoods are already ordered!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,940,750 times
Congrats. Don't forget to take the same one as a goodbye from your old home, too.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,031,091 times
Mazel tov!

What are you going to put on the porch?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Mazel tov!

What are you going to put on the porch?
Well, it screams for white rockers but we have brown wicker (outdoor) rockers that we love so those will go there till I can ease some white ones in on my husband. He's a bit overwhelmed by the complete flooring redo and the kitchen renovations' price tags right now!

I have a bunch of rich blue paint swatches that I am going to hold up against the front door - I think with the yellow/tannish siding the door needs to be deep blue. Just not sure if I want to veer toward green blues or royal blues...

Ideas, anyone? The siding is actually not as tan as it looks in the picture - it was in a shadow. It's really a very pale to light yellowish siding like the siding on the dormer windows above (not in a shadow). It does need a bit of power washing though!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:37 AM

23,891 posts, read 32,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh that's a good idea to do the exact same angle - thank you!

We're working with a decorator and she wants to use our house for before and after pics for her portfolio/website, so we will be sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

It's so fun!

Here is the fabric and light fixtures we've chosen for the kitchen also. I may switch completely over to schoolhouse lights however. The sink will be a big white porcelain farmhouse sink. I have an extensive collection of Polish pottery so I need to bring in elements of blue and red into the mix.

Over the sink:

The lower cabinets are going to be painted a sage green. Upper cabinets a creamy white. Creamy white trim (one shade lighter than the cabinets) and a ceiling that is barely barely the palest green (same color family as the sage and the creams).

Here's the color of the cabinets (Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage):

This is incredible! In my former newer house (built in 1994), I selected that fabric for the valances in the master bedroom, and for the wallpaper in the master bath! I love that print! It was Waverly. Not sure what the name was. Trying to remember...Anyway, it has so many subtle colors contained within the print. It's fresh and casual, with out being "country" or "kitchy".

In fact, while I didn't choose to use in in my "new" home, seeing it gave me the idea to use it in the guest room! Thanks for reminding me!

I love the idea of the creamy sage cabinets and the big porcelain sink! That will really look

"kitchy". I still have the valances from my old house! And I think they will look really good with the school house lights.

If I remember correctly, that print has some blue grey and periwinkle. It's subtle, but it's there. Your kitchen is - or will be, a perfect backdrop to the Polish pottery, especially some of the more detailed pieces. I love the cobalt blue and white pattern that most people think of when the they think of Polish pottery. I like the original rustic patterns, but the more unique and detailed pieces will look especially good. (I collect it also)

I'm confused about one thing - in the picture that you labeled travertine, I see some very nice hardwood. Is the hardwood for the floor in another room or was it a "before" picture?

Anyway, I know the look that you are trying to achieve, and not only do I like it; I think that your are well on well on your way to achieving this classic, boldly subtle style!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is incredible! In my former newer house (built in 1994), I selected that fabric for the valances in the master bedroom, and for the wallpaper in the master bath! I love that print! It was Waverly. Not sure what the name was. Trying to remember...Anyway, it has so many subtle colors contained within the print. It's fresh and casual, with out being "country" or "kitchy".

In fact, while I didn't choose to use in in my "new" home, seeing it gave me the idea to use it in the guest room! Thanks for reminding me!

I love the idea of the creamy sage cabinets and the big porcelain sink! That will really look

"kitchy". I still have the valances from my old house! And I think they will look really good with the school house lights.

If I remember correctly, that print has some blue grey and periwinkle. It's subtle, but it's there. Your kitchen is - or will be, a perfect backdrop to the Polish pottery, especially some of the more detailed pieces. I love the cobalt blue and white pattern that most people think of when the they think of Polish pottery. I like the original rustic patterns, but the more unique and detailed pieces will look especially good. (I collect it also)

I'm confused about one thing - in the picture that you labeled travertine, I see some very nice hardwood. Is the hardwood for the floor in another room or was it a "before" picture?

Anyway, I know the look that you are trying to achieve, and not only do I like it; I think that your are well on well on your way to achieving this classic, boldly subtle style!
Oooh, thanks for all the feedback!

I love Waverly fabrics, so I'll check that out on eBay. I have Waverly fabrics in two rooms already!

Sorry for the confusion about the flooring. The wood floors are going in most of the house. The travertine is going in the kitchen, laundry room and powder room. The wood floors are a varigated hickory color and the travertine is mostly cream with some streaks of gray and tan in it.

Unfortunately we are going to have to tear up some beautiful hardwoods that are in the dining room and entry way because we couldn't match them. Oh well.

Low nap carpet is going in the two guest rooms upstairs.

I have some fabulous ideas for that tiny powder room - going to totally pimp that out! Pics coming as we progress. Right now we're waiting on the order of hardwoods to arrive. Sigh.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,568,864 times
Congrats~~

Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM

50,061 posts, read 63,416,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, it screams for white rockers but we have brown wicker (outdoor) rockers that we love so those will go there till I can ease some white ones in on my husband. He's a bit overwhelmed by the complete flooring redo and the kitchen renovations' price tags right now!

I have a bunch of rich blue paint swatches that I am going to hold up against the front door - I think with the yellow/tannish siding the door needs to be deep blue. Just not sure if I want to veer toward green blues or royal blues...

Ideas, anyone? The siding is actually not as tan as it looks in the picture - it was in a shadow. It's really a very pale to light yellowish siding like the siding on the dormer windows above (not in a shadow). It does need a bit of power washing though!
What I did to arrive at the perfect color for my front door, is go to Sherwin Williams, where they have color cards with combinations (cool neutrals, warm neutrals, etc). I found the tan that was closest to my bricks (siding, in your case), and from there I found a blue and tan combination for my shutters and front door. It takes the guesswork out of determining whether one color will work with another. In my case, it steered me a bit away from the blue I thought I wanted, to one I just love now.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I did to arrive at the perfect color for my front door, is go to Sherwin Williams, where they have color cards with combinations (cool neutrals, warm neutrals, etc). I found the tan that was closest to my bricks (siding, in your case), and from there I found a blue and tan combination for my shutters and front door. It takes the guesswork out of determining whether one color will work with another. In my case, it steered me a bit away from the blue I thought I wanted, to one I just love now.
I did that the other day and spent about twenty minutes outside holding up swatches to bricks and siding (the house is both) and standing back and squinting, looking at them all in different lights, etc etc!

I think I have settled on a deep blue with a hint of green to it. We'll see! That may change for all I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating