Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

We're closing on our "new" house Monday (5-19-14) and will begin renovations immediately! This house was custom built in 1998 and is very good quality construction, but is stuck in the 1990s. It's our job to get it out of it's jewel tone, wallpapered, white tile funk and into our own personal style!

The style of the house is Low Country (think Southern Living). Our personal style is more Old European country (sort of rustic but in an old English/Germanic/French style - we've got some European antiques and dishware, etc, that set that tone). So we've got to merge the two styles and I think it's going to be a fun challenge but very do-able!

Here are the "before" pictures:

Kitchen - AUGH!!!!!!!

Dining room:

Living room:

Master:

Get a load of this master bath!

Den/Office:

Front entrance:

Powder room:

There's a lot more but this is a good start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Here is what we've picked out so far:

Flooring downstairs and landing of upstairs (other than the kitchen, laundry room, and powder room -these will be travertine. More on that later!):

Stairway:

Kitchen:

I am so excited about the kitchen that I can hardly stand it!

The travertine stone is what's going in the kitchen, laundry room and powder room.

The wallpaper is already removed from nearly everywhere. I actually like the wallpaper in the upstairs bathroom so we're keeping that.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:30 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
I am sure you will do this but duplicate the pics that you have taken and update them so we can oh and ah! I did this with my home and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment. Congrats.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am sure you will do this but duplicate the pics that you have taken and update them so we can oh and ah! I did this with my home and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment. Congrats.
Oh that's a good idea to do the exact same angle - thank you!

We're working with a decorator and she wants to use our house for before and after pics for her portfolio/website, so we will be sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

It's so fun!

Here is the fabric and light fixtures we've chosen for the kitchen also. I may switch completely over to schoolhouse lights however. The sink will be a big white porcelain farmhouse sink. I have an extensive collection of Polish pottery so I need to bring in elements of blue and red into the mix.

Over the sink:

The lower cabinets are going to be painted a sage green. Upper cabinets a creamy white. Creamy white trim (one shade lighter than the cabinets) and a ceiling that is barely barely the palest green (same color family as the sage and the creams).

Here's the color of the cabinets (Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage):

Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Your house is adorable. I love the exterior. The interior has many great features.

I'm excited to see your transformation!

What color appliances are you planning to use?

Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
That's a beautiful house. I can't wait to see the updates. I love the bones of the kitchen. You can do a lot to it. Ours was also built in 1998, but the previous sellers did some upgrades. We recently put in porcelain and travertine in our downstairs.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your house is adorable. I love the exterior. The interior has many great features.

I'm excited to see your transformation!

What color appliances are you planning to use?
We already have a new stainless steel fridge, and the ONE THING that's been updated in the new kitchen is the appliances (other than the fridge). The owners put pretty high end stainless in - new microwave, stove/oven and dishwasher. Our stainless fridge is "fingerprint proof" SS and I love that feature.

I think the stainless is going to look really good with the soapstone and the gray greens we are using in the kitchen. WHOOOOHOOOOO!!

Thanks for the compliments by the way (couldn't rep you again). The house does have some very nice features. The floorplan is excellent - all the ceilings are at least ten feet (higher in the master and the two upstairs bedrooms - they have dormer windows and some cool angles but because they are big the angled ceilings don't seem awkward). I am a bit tired of the open concept stuff, so I like that the kitchen and formals are separate from the main living area (though the kitchen has a big, wide arched entry leading into the family room, so it doesn't seem closed off).

I do think that the exterior is absolutely charming. I think I am going to paint the front door a deep, rich midnight or cobalt blue. I think blue will contrast nicely with the creamy yellow siding and the soft tones of the brick.

I LOVE DECORATING and this is at least a two year project. The front yard is lovely and is easily maintained landscaping but the back yard is a complete tear out and redo. There must be thirty small, unimportant sorts of trees out there - most of them are coming down because they completely shade the back yard. No bueno to me.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:12 PM

80 posts, read 108,843 times
Looks like you've got the bones of a great house there! I look forward to your updates. You must be so excited. Good luck!

Just one thing - have you seen that flooring laid? Are you expecting it to look like old natural wood or are you already familiar with its appearance?
I went to a house showing recently that had just had that brand laid throughout (in darkest option) and it looked very different in finish to what I would have expected from the website swatch.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Can sympathize with the back yard tear out. We bought a home that within two months of moving in DH and I personally cut down 14 trees ourselves including a 30 foot pine that we knick named Cleopatra. We had to have two professionally removed as they were willows, one weeping and one curly. The curly was really pretty but both were within 5 feet of our kitchen and we lived on Long Island, NY during Sandy......enough said. The people we bought from never saw a tree they didn't like!!!! UGh. We have a heavy clay soil that needs amending badly so it is a labor of sheer defeat for annuals right now, so I am contenting myself with container gardening until I can get the beds the way I want them.

Did want to mention one thing. I too was working with gray tile, there are grays and there are green grays and blue grays. If you are using natural tile get a few sample to verify the variation. Mine came in and were too greenish for my back splash and that set me on a month and a half long foray into tiles that go with the variations.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzakura View Post
Looks like you've got the bones of a great house there! I look forward to your updates. You must be so excited. Good luck!

Just one thing - have you seen that flooring laid? Are you expecting it to look like old natural wood or are you already familiar with its appearance?
I went to a house showing recently that had just had that brand laid throughout (in darkest option) and it looked very different in finish to what I would have expected from the website swatch.
Yes, we actually have this floor in our current home. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating