Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 113,001 times

Advertisements

Using Sherwin Williams colors, how about Ellie Gray for living room and bathrooms, Westchester gray for bedrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Both are nice grays, but ultimately you need to paint some up on the relevant walls and then look at it under different light conditions and times of day. Looking at small swatch samples and pictures online won't give you an accurate idea of how it will look in your space.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Back when we first bought out house, everything was white. I hated it. So I painted the LR green, the kitchen blue, the bedrooms various different colors, etc.

I chose the colors I liked and decorated to suit the colors.

Many years later I redid the whole house. This time I chose a palate of colors with the same tone and worked my way through the house. You know those booklets you can get that have colors that compliment each other? Something like that.

Now my house isn't a set of random colors that don't flow from one room to another - the colors all blend from the same palate.

I also paid attention to lighting - something I didn't do to begin with years ago. The front hall is a pale yellow, which, in the morning sun, is to pretty and cheerful. I used the exact same color on the back porch - which gets the setting sun. The kitchen is a neutral tan - and the LR connected to the kitchen uses that same neutral but a darker shade tan, complimented by a light blue. The bedrooms are done with different darker blues in the same palate, the bathrooms pick up a lighter tan than the neutral.

The house now flows from color to color within a chosen palate. All the trim is a gloss white which makes everything clean and crisp. Nothing is very dark as our house faces north and the only bright sun we get is late afternoon.

Instead of choosing random colors from different manufacturers, I would recommend staying with one company and using one of those palate books to guide you.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
General tip: there are an endless number of paint colors to choose from (plus almost any paint store can custom match to any item you bring in), but limited choices of furniture, rugs, wall decor, etc. that you are going to fall in love with. I ALWAYS choose the furnishings first, pieces that I LOVE, as the starting point. It's far easier to match paint to furnishings than to find furnishings that work with paint already selected.

I do like the way you're thinking now, in terms of various gray tones throughout, rather than the assortment of dark, bold colors you showed in your first post. I was not loving any of those.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM

What kind of gray might go well with a dark brown/black bedframe (with a gray duvet -- this color http://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2013/...977ae0631.jpeg )? We were considering a darker grey to match the duvet a bit.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
You want contrast between the walls and bedding, so you'd either have to go a lot darker, or a good bit lighter. I would probably err toward lighter in the bedrooms with a duvet that dark.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshiggity View Post
Ok, I'm down for grey in the living room, but will red work in the bedroom?
IMO, no. Red is a stimulating color. It might be nice, if not jarring to wake up to, but it wouldn't be my choice to go to sleep with. I wouldn't want orange or yellow, either. Blue, gray, neutrals, green--they would be better choices, IMO.

In the bedroom, it might be best to choose bedding and furniture before choosing paint color. I have been over a barrel many times with a certain color bedroom, and a scarcity of available bedding that would look good.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Might anyone be able to recommend some shades of grey for the living and bedrooms? (possibly the bathrooms), given the types of furniture listed earlier?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Take a pillow sham to the store. Find the color on a paint card. Go back a few shades on the color strip until you have the lightness you want.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshiggity View Post
I am starting to think that maybe using different shades of gray throughout the apartment for wall colors would be better? Light gray living room, darker grey bedrooms, lighter grey bathrooms?
Yes, you're on the right track. I really wouldn't do that red wall in the bedroom though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating