Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 113,075 times

Advertisements

Layout of the apartment (I've overlaid some color):

http://i.imgur.com/9NnFkXB.png

The corresponding colors as listed in this picture:

Living room:
Commodore SW 6524 - Blue Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Bedroom:
Salute SW 7582 - Red Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Bigger bathroom:
Martha Stewart MSL111 Bonsai | Myperfectcolor

Smaller bathroom:
Westchester Gray SW 2849 - Cool Neutral Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Does this color arrangement make sense? What color should I do the other bedroom? Any other comments?

Last edited by Foshiggity; 05-26-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I am not fond of your colors for such a small space. Is there one of the chosen ones you like the most? Could you use it in several rooms? You want a flow through the space, so the colors should talk to each other, or at least look good together.

If you like dark blue (I'd suggest choosing a grayer version) I suggest you limit it to your bedroom. The red could be an accent wall in your living area. If those are the colors you love the most, then use them for those areas, and choose a neutral for the living area and most of the rest of the home. You haven't shared any other details about the space, such as whether it has white or wood toned trim, or what colors the cabs in the kitchen and baths are, or what color the floors are. You can get away with a darker bathroom wall color if the trim is white, there are other white surfaces in there, and the cabs are not too dark. But I'd like to see the gray relate to the adjacent wall color.

Other details about your space would be helpful.

The reason I suggest using a grayer blue, is because you will be able to find accessories more easily. Grayed colors seem to be everywhere in retail. I'm not as sure about primary colors. And the dark green is dated. If you love it anyway, I'd use it as an accent wall or in accessories, assuming you could find any.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 PM

On my phone so l will add more later, but what about a grey living room, red accent wall in bedroom?

Addt details (we've already bought certain furniture):

Much of the apt (inc trim) is white. Light brown hardwood floors (kahrs). Kitchen cabinets are dark brown almost black. Kitchen counter space light grey granite.

Couch in living room is pearl, rug is white with grey stripes, table on that rug is glass with brown legs. Bedroom bed set is black/dark brown.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:13 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
This color arrangement does not make sense, to me. The fact that the bedrooms and bathroom are not visible from each other, or the livingroom/kitchen gives you a bit of leeway for unrelated colors, but why not choose some colors that have some flow or relationship to each other?

There is nowhere in the apartment for your eye to rest with your colors. Its like punch, kick, punch, kick, to me.

I could see the gray (maybe a bit lighter) in the kitchen/livingroom, but I don't like any of the other colors.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM

Ok, I'm down for grey in the living room, but will red work in the bedroom?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
I like the grey and dark blue. Dark blues with bright white gloss trim can look quite stunning in the right room and with the right lighting and furniture.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshiggity View Post
Ok, I'm down for grey in the living room, but will red work in the bedroom?
Quite often, people choose their paint colors, because those colors "move" them....DO something for them. Unfortunately, when you pick overly stimulating colors, in large amounts, they can cause agitation and unrest.

Red....for a bedroom color? Well.....if you're looking for a whole lot of stimulation in the bedroom **wink wink** ....then red might just work for you. If you're looking for a restful, peaceful...sleep inducing atmosphere....well, red's just not the color you wanna go with.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM

Makes sense, thanks.

I guess I'll start by focusing on the living room. If I choose a grey color for the wall, would that work well with:

This rug (grey/white stripes):
nuLOOM Handmade Alexa Chevron Wool Rug (5' x 8') | Overstock.com Shopping - Great Deals on Nuloom 5x8 - 6x9 Rugs

And this table (the brown color legs):
Tribeca Table | Noguchi Style Coffee Table | Glass Coffee Table | Contemporary Coffee Table

The couch:
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/ales...5|-|1372218USA

The TV/console we have are both pretty much black/dark dark brown/etc.

Would all these colors work well together (purely focusing on the living room).

And if we did do red in the bedroom, would that "clash" at all with any of this? (i.e. do red and grey "go together" at all?) Would it be odd if we only painted the living room and one bedroom wall in the entire apartment? Does it make more sense to leave the bathrooms both white, or are there colors that would work well there?

Last edited by Foshiggity; 05-27-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Seems like you really like red, yes red and grey go together. Maybe I say that because that was my high school colors LOL. But I have seen it done together. Are you going to do one wall red and the others grey?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
I would actually choose a rug with color. Decide if you want a warm or cool tone to the room (greys have those tones depending on the shade, but they are also strongly influenced by surrounding colors.

Play off the colors in the rug with some of that color in accent pillows on the couch.

If you wanted to tie the bedroom and living room together and you're intent on doing the bedroom wall red, then go for warmer tones in the rug. I'm not especially fond of that rug in red, but it's not awful (the pattern is a visual eyestrain to me). Maybe a different pattern.

You can also tie together the bedroom and living room with the rug/curtains/cushions and bedding etc. being similar (don't need to be matchy matchy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating