Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Definitely meshugge!

But hey, paint is cheap compared to furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
Yeh, Im thinking about getting 1 black & 1 White of those stools and put them on the side. Just saw this rug and it would look interesting as well but it might be too much with the pillows

Or get a white rug and get this chair to complement the pillows on the sectional?

Last edited by DCmum; 05-28-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Definitely meshugge!

But hey, paint is cheap compared to furniture.

Should I cancel the sectional? I haven't received it yet. My friends are pushing me towards this one : Solace Spa Upholstery Sofa - Value City Furniture or this one http://www.valuecityfurniture.com/li...a/1602734.aspx What do you guys think? I like the unique look of the black&white one, but feel like maybe these would go better with the wall colors?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
I'm having a hard time visualizing it working together. Try searching houzz and pinterest for black,white, olive green rooms. If it has been done successfully there will be at least one picture there for you to draw some inspiration.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I definitely think you can make the sofa work with the olive green walls, but only if you find artwork that ties the elements together. I would also definitely add pillows in green to the sofa. You could incorporate a rug that has a subtle design that has all three colors in it, but be careful with that area rug because too much loud pattern could overload the room.

I would NOT add the other black and white chairs you were considering - you need to tie in the olive green more, not add more black/white items only.

You could also buy black lamps with white shades, and then add olive green trim to the shades. Or find lamps with olive green bases and add black trim to the shades.

You could add black trim to the green pillows as well.

I really like the artwork in the photo in your OP. You could find something like that to tie in the three colors.

Green is almost a neutral, especially olive green. Black and white are neutrals. You could have a very sophisticated feel to this room - IF you don't get crazy with lots of additional black and white accessories and wild patterns on the rug.

You love the sofa - but another concern I have is that you haven't sat on it. I generally don't recommend buying something as essential as a sofa without sitting on it and inspecting the workmanship. And one more thing, if you INSIST on buying a sofa online, I really do like the second sofa that your friends are leaning toward better than the one you're considering. It's unique as well but would be an easier blend with the walls.

Whatever you do, don't buy that "shoe chair."

Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
What do you guys think?

Never buy a piece of furniture because of color. First priority should be style and comfort/support. From there you can select color. Nuetral colors (beige/tan) work with most colors- white goes with any color, black goes with any color. Red works well with black&white- not olive green.

Oh, the paint on the wall right now will last longer than furniture from Value City. When it comes to furniture, especially living room furniture, buy the best quality you can find- hardwood frames, tied coils, high density foam, etc.; otherwise you're just throwing money away! And if youre gonna do that I'll send you an envelope with my address on it.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 29,223 times
I like the olive walls and the black-and-white sofa. The chairs look uncomfortable to me, though.

I like the combination:
Olive Green Interiors
Pin by Liisa Stenberg on Home I want to live in | Pinterest
Celebrate Spring With a Multitude of Green-Hued Rooms
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/9710955418505296/

Last edited by backinjersey; 05-29-2014 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: added another link

Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
DCmum, I like the second sofa that your friends picked but that's only because it's way more my style. I think you should go with what you love. I do think that the sofa you chose will work fine with the wall color. I would not buy anything else until you see the sofa in the room. You can add things in as you go.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I definitely think you can make the sofa work with the olive green walls, but only if you find artwork that ties the elements together. I would also definitely add pillows in green to the sofa. You could incorporate a rug that has a subtle design that has all three colors in it, but be careful with that area rug because too much loud pattern could overload the room.

I would NOT add the other black and white chairs you were considering - you need to tie in the olive green more, not add more black/white items only.

You could also buy black lamps with white shades, and then add olive green trim to the shades. Or find lamps with olive green bases and add black trim to the shades.

You could add black trim to the green pillows as well.

I really like the artwork in the photo in your OP. You could find something like that to tie in the three colors.

Green is almost a neutral, especially olive green. Black and white are neutrals. You could have a very sophisticated feel to this room - IF you don't get crazy with lots of additional black and white accessories and wild patterns on the rug.

You love the sofa - but another concern I have is that you haven't sat on it. I generally don't recommend buying something as essential as a sofa without sitting on it and inspecting the workmanship. And one more thing, if you INSIST on buying a sofa online, I really do like the second sofa that your friends are leaning toward better than the one you're considering. It's unique as well but would be an easier blend with the walls.

Whatever you do, don't buy that "shoe chair."
Lol about the shoe chair. Actually I sat on the couch, I went to see it in person first and test it with my sister, then ordered it online when I got home. The colors are pretty much true to the picture, they are just more vibrant.
For chairs, you said not to go with black and white, could you tell me what kind of chairs you were thinking about then?If you had pictures, iT would be great

Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinjersey View Post
I like the olive walls and the black-and-white sofa. The chairs look uncomfortable to me, though.

I like the combination:
Olive Green Interiors
Pin by Liisa Stenberg on Home I want to live in | Pinterest
Celebrate Spring With a Multitude of Green-Hued Rooms
Olive Green wall | For the Home | Pinterest
Love these. Thanks for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating