Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow decorators, I fell in love with this couch and bought it right away ( have not received it yet) Chelsea Home Lambda 2 Piece Sectional in Jefferson Black - Avanti White - traditional - furniture - by Beyond Stores Problem is, my living room walls are olive green, this green How can I make it work? Im starting from scratch so don't have any other pieces for the living room so far. I was thinking about getting a white rug so the decor won't be too dark and light window coverings ( what color?) . I am shooting for a minimalist modern decor. Help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
That's going to look really bad with that wall color.

It's a shame too because it's a pretty wall color.

For the minimalist modern look you're hoping to achieve, repaint the walls grey.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's going to look really bad with that wall color.

It's a shame too because it's a pretty wall color.

For the minimalist modern look you're hoping to achieve, repaint the walls grey.

That's my dilemma, I really love the wall colors and really love the couch. Is there a way to salvage this

Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I don't see a problem with the wall color and the sofa. I would wait until the sofa arrives and see how it looks in the room with the wall color. Then make adjustments with pops of color here and there.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
I don't mind the wall color either. bring in the floor rug in the wall color and a few toss pillows only a few shades lighter than the wall. then maybe pick one more accent color that is a compliment and be done. only bring in the three colors. when you get a lot of colors is when it doesn't looked pulled together. check out a few design mags and you will see how they stick to a palette within the design colors.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I don't see a problem with the wall color and the sofa. I would wait until the sofa arrives and see how it looks in the room with the wall color. Then make adjustments with pops of color here and there.
I thought the same thing but my sister told me I was crazy and it would never work

Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I don't mind the wall color either. bring in the floor rug in the wall color and a few toss pillows only a few shades lighter than the wall. then maybe pick one more accent color that is a compliment and be done. only bring in the three colors. when you get a lot of colors is when it doesn't looked pulled together. check out a few design mags and you will see how they stick to a palette within the design colors.
What do you mean by that? I was thinking a white rug, should I go with a different color? What colors would you recommend for toss pillows?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 PM

pick up a few higher end decorating mags, then look at the room design and see if you can pick up the "main colors" they use in each of the different rooms. most of the time they will use only 3 colors, everything will be variations of the three colors. they keep within that same color family. too many colors will make the room look busy and thrown together.

the other important thing to notice is the accessories all fit to scale. lots of folks use bunches of tiny decorator items. the room is so large that you hardly notice them. you want a picture that fits the wall. objects that fit the table. if you look at the pictures you will get the idea.

for me if I was gonna keep that wall color like I said I would do the rug the same color only lighter. (if you go as dark as the wall I think the whole room could start to look just too dark. you could add a few darker green toss pillows to tie it all together.

come to think of it, a rug with a pattern would be good just stay in that green color family. if you pick a patterned rug it will already have the colors you need in it. use one of the colors that are in the rug you like best as your final accent color. I would probably go purple or yellow also works with black and white as does red. find a pattern rug you then the choice is already made for you.

looks like a fun project.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
pick up a few higher end decorating mags, then look at the room design and see if you can pick up the "main colors" they use in each of the different rooms. most of the time they will use only 3 colors, everything will be variations of the three colors. they keep within that same color family. too many colors will make the room look busy and thrown together.

the other important thing to notice is the accessories all fit to scale. lots of folks use bunches of tiny decorator items. the room is so large that you hardly notice them. you want a picture that fits the wall. objects that fit the table. if you look at the pictures you will get the idea.

for me if I was gonna keep that wall color like I said I would do the rug the same color only lighter. (if you go as dark as the wall I think the whole room could start to look just too dark. you could add a few darker green toss pillows to tie it all together.

come to think of it, a rug with a pattern would be good just stay in that green color family. if you pick a patterned rug it will already have the colors you need in it. use one of the colors that are in the rug you like best as your final accent color. I would probably go purple or yellow also works with black and white as does red. find a pattern rug you then the choice is already made for you.

looks like a fun project.
Thank you. Yes I definitely don't want to go too dark, if anything I want the room to have an airy, open and light feel. I was thinking about adding these : a black one and a white one for the modern look i am going for. Thoughts? Amazon.com - LexMod Dewdrop Stool in Green - Drop Stools

For the rug though I was thinking a non-pattern look because I feel like the sectional is already busy with patterns on some of the pillows so I don't want that to class with patterns on the rug as well, unless they were the same pattern, it would look a bit weird, no?

For the dining room, I was thinking about these chairs ( the one in green ) : http://www.amazon.com/LexMod-Saarine...332126&sr=1-79

Last edited by DCmum; 05-28-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM

love, love, love the little seats I would do any of the colors except the green as it is too neon green for the wall color. you may get lucky and find a rug in the same pattern as the toss pillows on the sectional, that is a classic pattern. yes, probably a solid rug would be best. it really is amazing how you can pull a room together once you deconstruct a room in a magazine and see what the common threads are. your room will be awesome. post pics when you can. have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating