Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,906,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I tried stuff that wasn't symmetrical and honestly, it all just looked stupid with that centered frame and vase. It looked like I had left something out.
It's a knack for finding the right balance. The side with less things needs to have something bigger. You could group all four of your candle holders on one side and have one bigger thing on the other side. They don't need to be the exact same height. You might want to look for a candle grouping that has three of different heights. I'll try to find a picture. Being super tall on the sides may compete with the frame.

Quote:
What I haven't tried is different SHAPES of three things on either end. I will try that when I get all my stuff moved over there. But with my FB friends, I was really surprised that the vote is unanimous for the grouping of candles vs just the sconces.
Different shapes is a good compromise. Try to get away from perfectly matched up identical on both sides.

http://www.busydoor.com/images/2012/...ace-Mantle.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 06-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,712,646 times
Nice! Thanks, Hopes!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,202,314 times
Quote:
I agree, and thank you!

Do you prefer the grouping of candles or just the sconces, with the frame and vase w/flowers? I just can't decide! SENSORY OVERLOAD!
They both look nice, but can't tell till the rest of the room is done, to see how the black balances with the room.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,737,755 times
This thread is really making me wish I had a fireplace and mantle!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM

OK stick a fork in me, I'm done. Here's the mantel! Hardwood floors go into this room tomorrow! By the way, I don't know why the walls (and really everything) look so pastel in these pictures - they actually aren't. They are this color:

Baize Green from Sherwin Williams:
[Mod cut: copyrighted picture]

Here are a few close ups:

I'm working on our little tucked away powder room - the TINY powder room. I plan to paint three walls some deep color (thinking about a pewter with a little shine to it) and then tile the wall behind the sink with something fabulous - of course in New Orleans Saints colors of gold and black. Going to change out the light fixture to some sort of pendant. I put a crackle finish on the sink stand and cabinet and changed out the knobs. Got some art going on in there. The Drew Brees picture is going to go away - I just put it in there as a joke to tell my husband that Drew Brees was watching him while he peed.

Here are the hardwood floors in the master - quarter round isn't down yet.

Last edited by elnina; 06-08-2014 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,973,068 times
Call me crazy, but I think the frame is upside down..

It so resembles my sterling flatware pattern "Strasbourg" by Gorham my brain wants the point downwards.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 PM

Ok tomorrow I work on the master bath (no renovations at this time, just getting it straight) and then I get to go return a bunch of stuff to Pier 1 and Hobby Lobby, and shop for drapes for the dining room and den. They have to match because the rooms are across an open foyer from each other and you can see all windows, which are symmetrical. Here are some elements in my dining room and den:

Rug in dining room - once again, colors are off - the blue is very deep, the green is rich, and the reddish color is actually a persimmon sort of color:
[Mod cut: copyrighted]
Here are the slip covers for the two end chairs in my dining room (different from the other chairs), and just to show how off my colors are, the reddish tone in the slipcovers matches to reddish color in the carpet to a tee:

Here's the carpet that's going up the staircase in the foyer:
So - I think I need either textured gold or persimmon colored drapes - not satiny, but something that feels and looks plush, not breezy. I don't know - going to check some out tomorrow!

Last edited by elnina; 06-08-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,737,755 times
I love the pocket-watch looking clock - what a neat rift on the classic "clock on the mantle"!

I am enjoying watching the transformation. I admire your style, and it's really fun to see how you're creating new space. It's extra fun because my personal style is so different, you do stuff I'd never think of!

Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I love the pocket-watch looking clock - what a neat rift on the classic "clock on the mantle"!

I am enjoying watching the transformation. I admire your style, and it's really fun to see how you're creating new space. It's extra fun because my personal style is so different, you do stuff I'd never think of!
That's what I really like about this decorating forum. I specifically note your style as well as that of some other posters - styles that are so different from my own and yet so creative and fresh and interesting! I learn from you and others here. For instance, I might not have grouped the three offset candles in addition to the two vases if Hopes hadn't posted those photos.

And Facebook really helped me out a lot too, believe it or not. Having worked in the furniture/home decorating and real estate industries for many years, I have a lot of friends who have a lot of experience in decorating. I posted the progression there as well, and that's where I got the idea of the two vases - one of my friends photoshopped the mantel with two vases instead of one and suddenly I didn't mind forking out another $75 or so for the other vase and doodads in it!

Good times, good times! I can't wait to put the master bath together (for the most part) today and go shopping for window treatments!

Speaking of window treatments - I woke up this morning with a cool idea. I could take plain drapes in gold or whatever, and bling them all up with trim. For instance, plain gold drapes with stripes of ribbon around the edges and top and bottom in persimmon and indigo blue. Hmmmmmm....

Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
They both look nice, but can't tell till the rest of the room is done, to see how the black balances with the room.
For some reason, my cell phone camera is making everything look washed out. For instance, the green isn't a pastel, minty green - it's a lively, deeper green. The orangey flowers aren't like orange sherbert - they're a deep, deep orange. Weird. Same with the dark shadings on the frame and in the vases - they're VERY dark - like a charcoal gray-brown. I wish those colors showed up better - when I'm done, I'll take "real" pictures with my "real" camera and post them. In real life, the dark stuff on the mantel is just a nice contrast - and it's not even really black - LOL!

I have to bring some color and depth to the mantel to counteract all that ethereal white trim because my sofa is a dark chocolate brown, the color of dark chocolate (no red in the color). The cocktail ottoman is also a rich leather (different colors - hard to describe). I also have a beautiful big chair and ottoman in a tapestry, with a tufted back and tufted ottoman and exposed legs. Their styles are a bit formal rather than casual, so the shapes of my furniture match the formality of the room, thank goodness. After all this other stuff, I can't afford to buy new furniture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating