Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Here is the fireplace in our new house and we plan to put the TV above the mantle. The outlet is on the right side and on the floor. (you can see it, its near the paint can). The question is whether we set the TV on the mantle or hung it, where do we put the Roku Box, Wii and DVD player? I will have a bookcase on the left side of the fireplace but there isnt a plug over there. There is a window on the right side of the fireplace that i would prefer not to block.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
I would probably add an outlet on the left side, rather than have cords going across the mantle. At the same time I would put an electric and cable outlet above the mantle and then mount the TV on the wall. Even if you move the TV later you can always cover the outlets with a picture or mantle.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I would probably add an outlet on the left side, rather than have cords going across the mantle. At the same time I would put an electric and cable outlet above the mantle and then mount the TV on the wall. Even if you move the TV later you can always cover the outlets with a picture or mantle.
That is an option, but involves hiring an electrician. I wonder if there is a decorating option. Maybe set the stuff on a table? Would that look funny though? A way to hide it?

Im not so worried about the wires.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 AM

324 posts, read 837,173 times
I would put a low media cabinet under the window and fish the cords behind the drywall so they are hidden. We had a similar setup at our old house and that's what we did.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM

353 posts, read 426,838 times
Idea I just thought of for you: buy old books for cheap at a garage/yard sale (hardback) and hollow them out. Then you can hide everything, cut out the sensor ports and it will look as though you have books there instead of electronics.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I am not a fan of TVs over fireplaces, but....
If you are going to do it, do it right.
Mount on wall (with the option to tilt) with plug behind. You will need an electrician anyway as you have two outlets for four devices that need electricity.

As far as the other stuff goes, I would fish the wires behind the drywall so that they are not seen at all.
At the very least, you can run them tight in the crease (where fireplace meets wall) and cover with conduit.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
Idea I just thought of for you: buy old books for cheap at a garage/yard sale (hardback) and hollow them out. Then you can hide everything, cut out the sensor ports and it will look as though you have books there instead of electronics.
Good idea.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM

353 posts, read 426,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Good idea.
And if you are lucky you can find a whole stash of them for free on Craigslist depending on how active it is in your area.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Toss in another "If you're going to do it, do it right". Adding a wall-mount TV box (with surge outlet) is easy work, routing the cables behind the drywall is less so, but not that outlandish and then adding another outlet on the shelves for the remaining equipment. Velcro the Roku to the back of the TY and use the outlet the TV is on for power, which will just leave the Wii and DVD needing connection (both HDMI? best bang for the buck cables are Monoprice, search Amazon for different lengths but be aware that longer than 25' or so will be both more expensive And bring a chance of not working correctly, depends on the equipment).

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
While I'm not personally a fan of TV's mounted above the fireplace, definitely snake the cables thru the drywall.

For his stereo, my brother hides the power strip and small amount of cable that emerges from the wall in a decorative wicker box with a lid. It's right next to the electrical outlet and he cut a small hole in the back of the wicker box just big enough for the cables to fit through. It's pretty neutral looking and discreet.

I just use one of these in my media stand -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating