Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
1960s & 70s had coppertone, avocado green & harvest gold

the 80s had "almond" and black

the 90s had bright white, to go along with all those white thermofoil cabinets

we've been in the stainless phase for quite some time now, soooo......

what will be the next "must have" appliance finish??

I remember not too long ago that Corian & other solid surface counters with integrated sinks were THE thing to have. now that is considered dated. so, is granite here to stay? or is the quartz trend taking off??
Lately I have seen a lot of appliances that have the same front as their cabinets. I am using white and some black trim right now because I couldn't find anything totally white. I believe white has always been in style. I sincerely hope they get rid of that stainless science lab look soon. A home kitchen should not look like a science lab. That is too cold looking for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default For you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
how could it possibly be worth 8K?
Nothing that would be acceptable to you.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Is Sub-Zero a freezer, a fridge or both? Is this an appliance that will change the face of mankind or something? For 8K I gotta know...

Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I totally agree. Appliances are not supposed to be a focal point.

and then there are people that will spend 3K on a fridge, figure that one out. besides keeping the milk cold and the steaks frozen, what else is it supposed to do.

Well, there can be quite a bit of difference between simply keeping things cold and doing it conveniently and efficiently.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Dacor says colors

Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
Guess I didn't realize black was 80s... I have, prefer, and choose black.
I generally like black appliances too.

But I have SS and I LOVE it. I can't imagine why people think it's so hard to clean. It's simple enough to buy SS appliances with the finish that doesn't show fingerprints - it's the easiest finish in the world to keep clean. And I also love SS because it blends in with just about any other color or decor. It's neutral and in my opinion has a "soft" sort of look to it - it's not blaring white, or too dark, or too "custom" a color - it's a timeless, neutral choice. It reflects what's around it -if it's in a stark kitchen, it can look cold, like the rest of a stark kitchen looks. But if it's in a kitchen outfitted in warmer colors or finishes, it reflects those finishes.

I've had SS since before it was "all the rage" and will seek it out after it's trendiness wanes. I have no doubt that it will always be available as an option because it's a classic look and has been in use since the modernization of kitchens in the early 20th century. I'd say it has an impressive track record.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I generally like black appliances too.

But I have SS and I LOVE it. I can't imagine why people think it's so hard to clean. It's simple enough to buy SS appliances with the finish that doesn't show fingerprints - it's the easiest finish in the world to keep clean. And I also love SS because it blends in with just about any other color or decor. It's neutral and in my opinion has a "soft" sort of look to it - it's not blaring white, or too dark, or too "custom" a color - it's a timeless, neutral choice. It reflects what's around it -if it's in a stark kitchen, it can look cold, like the rest of a stark kitchen looks. But if it's in a kitchen outfitted in warmer colors or finishes, it reflects those finishes.

I've had SS since before it was "all the rage" and will seek it out after it's trendiness wanes. I have no doubt that it will always be available as an option because it's a classic look and has been in use since the modernization of kitchens in the early 20th century. I'd say it has an impressive track record.
I agree. Stainless is timeless. Any color you pick is going to look dated next year when the fashion/home improvement industry tweaks the shades of said color, promotes them and you see them everywhere you go. Besides, there are few if any colors I want to see on a stove for any length of time and I'm not willing to spend money/time changing out appliances due to color every few years.

I like white but not in kitchens with a warm, earth tone/neutral scheme.

I like black glass on dishwashers, cooktops and oven doors. I don't like black refigerators because it can seem like a huge gaping hole of darkness.

The one thing I despise is refrigerators made to look like furniture/cabinets with wood panels.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

The one thing I despise is refrigerators made to look like furniture/cabinets with wood panels.
I would love to have my home refrigerator match my kitchen cabinets! The one in our RV does and it looks great.

edit, like this:

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Default And, it costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I would love to have my home refrigerator match my kitchen cabinets!
The 42-inch Jenn-Air JF42NXFXDW cost $9300.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I would love to have my home refrigerator match my kitchen cabinets! The one in our RV does and it looks great.

edit, like this:
Sorry, you wont convince me they look great. No one is fooled that there's not a refrigerator under there lol. To me its a fake look. A refrigerator is an appliance. It should look like one imo. But, to each his own. If it makes you happy go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating