Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,741 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have recently purchased a new house, and with it came a nice finished basement that works great for entertainment. My problem is that I dont really have the "Designer" eye (as my wife calls it). I have purchased the main attraction stuff, like the 80" tv, tv stand, surround sound system, coffee table and the Sectional sofa. But after all was installed, it just seem rather plain. I was fine with that, to be honest, but some areas around the walls look like crap from the previous owners tried to patch paint some repairs.

So, in my mind, if I have to repaint then I might as well spruce everything up a bit.

I will include the pictures and a pano photo. I want to keep the minibar, but have a few things i can/cant' do.

Stuff I have thought of changing..
Getting nice wood blinds (or curtains?) to go with the new paint
paint the walls all around, no idea how yet
I could mount my tv, but I have a lot of entertainment stuff below it (including an Xbox 1 Knetic that needs to be placed somewhere above or below the tv along with a large center channel speaker)
I could probably add some custom lights, would be pain but doable.
I want to add 4 movie posters near the windows. Two in middle, one on each side. (Back to Future I, Scarface, Star Trek I, Ghostbusters)
I have thought about expanding my 1/18th die-cast cars to fill up the void on the wall shelf thing.
New/different coffee table
Really want to add a 6 person texas holdem poker table in the unused area in front of the minibar
I collect shotglasses...

Stuff I can't do..
The carpet stays.
Can't re-do any part of the minibar.
Can't change the existing lights in the ceiling too much.
I'm not rich so I can't go balls deep remodeling.
For the optimal surround sound experience, the rear speakers must stay in the general location that they are in now.

List might change a bit but that is the idea of it.

Here is the floor plan

And here is the Panoramic photo

And more photos for reference

About the feel or my preferences...
I like the black furniture, not because of some goth thing, but because it gives the feeling of modern or executive. I think I would consider my overall preference to be modern/contemporary and simple. I don't like red but okay with the browns. I hate green to no end. I could also be just fine with shades of gray, but I don't want it to look bad. I just don't know how to make it all work right.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
it mostly needs paint. I would do two colors, just to break it up it is such a large room. accent your sofa with some throw pillows of one of the colors you pick. add an area rug under the coffee table in the same colors to tie it all together. you need more movie posters, 4 is not enough. you have a huge wall behind the sectional and on the side of your tv. when you get a new coffee table get two end tables as well. you could also use a sofa back table. make your bar look more like a bar. put up some shelves and show off your collection. how about a big double bokshelf? you can use it for books, movie memorabilia, even more shot glasses. here is some color combos that work with black.
Black Color Schemes | Black Color Combinations | Black Color Palettes

Old 06-15-2014, 04:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
For light control on those windows, I think curtains would be too feminine for the room. Have you considered blackout shades like these: Blackout Shades & Window Blinds - Room Darkening Shades | Blindsgalore

They're clean and modern, not poofy or girly.

The bar area seems really dark, unless the lights are off for the photo?

Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it mostly needs paint. I would do two colors, just to break it up it is such a large room. accent your sofa with some throw pillows of one of the colors you pick. add an area rug under the coffee table in the same colors to tie it all together. you need more movie posters, 4 is not enough. you have a huge wall behind the sectional and on the side of your tv. when you get a new coffee table get two end tables as well. you could also use a sofa back table. make your bar look more like a bar. put up some shelves and show off your collection. how about a big double bokshelf? you can use it for books, movie memorabilia, even more shot glasses. here is some color combos that work with black.
Black Color Schemes | Black Color Combinations | Black Color Palettes
Hate throw pillows. But yes I was thinking of a two tone thing, not sure how to break it up but yeah. I was thinking one coffee table and one end table for between the wall and the sofa. Thank you for the ideas.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
For light control on those windows, I think curtains would be too feminine for the room. Have you considered blackout shades like these: Blackout Shades & Window Blinds - Room Darkening Shades | Blindsgalore

They're clean and modern, not poofy or girly.

The bar area seems really dark, unless the lights are off for the photo?
Yeah I am going to go full wood blinds to darken the room. The bar lights were off at the time.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
Wall paint - Gray is good for a home theater/media room. Go a darker gray against the wall where the TV is situated and a lighter gray on the other walls.

Put some framed art on the other walls to bring in some color and contrast without overtaking the room. I actually saw some artwork that had these silhouettes painted onto old, weathered wood boards recently that looked fantastic: Artist Creates Superheroes Silhouette Posters - DesignTAXI.com It might be a thought for something a little out of the ordinary.

A big rug in front of the sectional and that coffee table looks out of proportion to the couch. Can you look for something that's a bit bolder and has some more oomph to it? Also consider a console/sofa table behind the couch.

Lastly, I would stain or repaint the wood on the bar if you can. No structural change needed, but a dark stain/paint would make it feel less dated.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
It looks too boxy to me. Can you turn the entire seating around a quarter turn counter clockwise? That will open it up by the bar area. Then as others have suggested paint and some art. IF you are into movies or sports some of those posters will work nicely. Overall I like the space. I would just like to see it opened up a bit.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
It might just be me, but I don't like naked woofers. I think you need cloth covers on the faces of your speakers. The ones on stands look like traffic signals! It will look more grown up and put together.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
To me, the bar is like a big old ugly elephant in the room. I would paint the wood on it the same color as the wall behind it, so it would disappear a bit, and plan to budget for a new counter top ASAP.
It is a nice space, and I like how big the windows are, so I would put up some outside mounted roman shades that I'd keep open when I wasn't watching TV.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
What a great room! It's exciting to work with such a good space - and you also have a nice headstart on things with that sectional, which is well proportioned for the room.

Paint will go a long way in this space. I agree about the darker gray wall behind the TV and the lighter gray walls elsewhere. I also think that you need more movie posters in sleek black frames - that's a nice look that's inexpensive.

Pick an accent color, maybe two. Maybe orange for some pop and then a deep gray (I'd do aubergine/eggplant which is a dark purple but I'm a girl - LOL). I know you hate throw pillows but two or three won't kill you and they'll add a lot - and besides that, if you get comfortable ones, other people will enjoy using them as they chill out on that sofa.

I agree that the coffee table it TOO SMALL for the sectional. I suggest an awesome cocktail ottoman, preferably a round one to give the eye a rest from all the right angles in the room. It should be fairly easy to find a black leather one - or one in whatever accent color you choose.

I like the lights above the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating