Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 01:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Every time I think we are close to being done with all that needs to be done I find more. Or my wife goes. I swear it will never end.

Don't even think it---it will never end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:59 AM

107 posts, read 100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Every time I think we are close to being done with all that needs to be done I find more. Or my wife goes. I swear it will never end.
I;m guessing that's a typo!

Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Right now I'm finishing up a 2-month long roofing project... first was removing the old gutters, then installing ~200 board-feet of soffit face board (house originally had crown molding that covered gaps between the soffit face and roof decking, someone removed the crown to fit gutters and left MASSIVE holes for squirrels, raccoons, opossums, bats, birds, and cats to make their way into the attic).

2 weeks for the old roof to be removed and reinstalled (lots of rot repair along the edges, removed 2 chimneys, plenty of decking repair, new felt, lots of new flashing, valleys, drip edge, and finally the singles).

This was followed by pressure washing all the trim, wiping down with TSP and rinsing in prep for paint.... prime the new wood, paint everything else (about 4' around the soffits and down to the brick, along ~300' of perimeter). Now I'm about 2/3rds the way through cutting ~64 holes for soffit vents, vents that weren't present (though the holes that allowed for animal intrusion probably worked just as well). Gutters are going back up Monday and then I'll just have the high trim pieces left (peaks and gable vents) left for paint to be finished with this project. Seriously tired of standing on ladders, working over my head and having everything fall in my face.

That'll free me up to finish stripping and painting the last of the 25 3'x6' windows before moving on to the 4 full-light exterior doors.... :/ Oh, I have a bathroom remodel (and a big chunk of plumbing rerouting under the house, it's a mess) to do this summer too...

Been at this for 2 years already (lol, I have the #2 post talking about buying this house).... I thought 2~3 months to move in, it turned into 8. 2~3 years to be Finished (to the point of just doing maintenance), and I'm hoping to be done by the end of the 4th year (so, 2 more from now). *sigh* Old houses are a LOT of work, especially if you want to retain any of the original features/charm.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
I;m guessing that's a typo!
Relying on spell check or autocorrect will catch up with us sooner or later.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Right now I'm finishing up a 2-month long roofing project... first was removing the old gutters, then installing ~200 board-feet of soffit face board (house originally had crown molding that covered gaps between the soffit face and roof decking, someone removed the crown to fit gutters and left MASSIVE holes for squirrels, raccoons, opossums, bats, birds, and cats to make their way into the attic).

2 weeks for the old roof to be removed and reinstalled (lots of rot repair along the edges, removed 2 chimneys, plenty of decking repair, new felt, lots of new flashing, valleys, drip edge, and finally the singles).

This was followed by pressure washing all the trim, wiping down with TSP and rinsing in prep for paint.... prime the new wood, paint everything else (about 4' around the soffits and down to the brick, along ~300' of perimeter). Now I'm about 2/3rds the way through cutting ~64 holes for soffit vents, vents that weren't present (though the holes that allowed for animal intrusion probably worked just as well). Gutters are going back up Monday and then I'll just have the high trim pieces left (peaks and gable vents) left for paint to be finished with this project. Seriously tired of standing on ladders, working over my head and having everything fall in my face.

That'll free me up to finish stripping and painting the last of the 25 3'x6' windows before moving on to the 4 full-light exterior doors.... :/ Oh, I have a bathroom remodel (and a big chunk of plumbing rerouting under the house, it's a mess) to do this summer too...

Been at this for 2 years already (lol, I have the #2 post talking about buying this house).... I thought 2~3 months to move in, it turned into 8. 2~3 years to be Finished (to the point of just doing maintenance), and I'm hoping to be done by the end of the 4th year (so, 2 more from now). *sigh* Old houses are a LOT of work, especially if you want to retain any of the original features/charm.
Holy cow!

Quote:
having everything fall in my face
Always in the center of my eye so it's double hard to get out. Never in the corner.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We are working on the side of our garage that faces the back yard. It has 25 year old shrubs, two windows, and a man door.
We ripped out two of the 4 shrubs, planted perennials, and DH made a window box...and then... since nothing ever goes as planned and all simple projects turn ugly at some point, when he went to hang the window box he found old rotten wood around the window, under the vinyl siding.

So now the project is delayed until he replaces the rotted wood and finds a source for the aluminum trim nails in the color we need.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I moved into my Dream House last July. Well, the inside of the house is a dream come true to me, and everything is exactly as I have always wanted. The location is fabulous, the best possible that I can even imagine. However, the yard? I knew when I bought the house that the tiny yard would take some major work to make it my dream yard. It was overgrown with huge trees and bushes, and I just wanted grass; low maintenance and all I'll have to do is pay my lawn guy to mow it.

So, being an old lady and not capable of doing any of this myself, I have had crews of from 2-12 working on my yard all day long, six days a week all during January and February. In January I had the many gargantuan, dead trees, bushes, and other plants removed and stumps ground. In February I got the stump grindings removed (they were two feet deep! ), and then had my lot re-graded so the drainage is now good. Also I had a concrete crew replace the entire sidewalk and back yard concrete. Then I got new topsoil everywhere, and St. Augustine's sod for my beautiful grass lawn.

So finally I have the yard of my dreams. The grass is greener than Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. In a couple of weeks it can be mowed.

At that point, I want to put a gate in the fence and have my termite people come out and do a major treatment since the re-landscaping was so major.

None of this has been cheap! So, I'm glad my house cost less than I had budgeted for it.

OK, I know this is in the Home Interior Design and Decorating sub-forum, and none of this was interior. Inside the house, I put window film on some windows and I am finally getting around to hanging artwork which just didn't get done right after I moved in. That's about it.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I moved into my Dream House last July. Well, the inside of the house is a dream come true to me, and everything is exactly as I have always wanted. The location is fabulous, the best possible that I can even imagine. However, the yard? I knew when I bought the house that the tiny yard would take some major work to make it my dream yard. It was overgrown with huge trees and bushes, and I just wanted grass; low maintenance and all I'll have to do is pay my lawn guy to mow it.

So, being an old lady and not capable of doing any of this myself, I have had crews of from 2-12 working on my yard all day long, six days a week all during January and February. In January I had the many gargantuan, dead trees, bushes, and other plants removed and stumps ground. In February I got the stump grindings removed (they were two feet deep! ), and then had my lot re-graded so the drainage is now good. Also I had a concrete crew replace the entire sidewalk and back yard concrete. Then I got new topsoil everywhere, and St. Augustine's sod for my beautiful grass lawn.

So finally I have the yard of my dreams. The grass is greener than Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. In a couple of weeks it can be mowed.

At that point, I want to put a gate in the fence and have my termite people come out and do a major treatment since the re-landscaping was so major.

None of this has been cheap! So, I'm glad my house cost less than I had budgeted for it.

OK, I know this is in the Home Interior Design and Decorating sub-forum, and none of this was interior. Inside the house, I put window film on some windows and I am finally getting around to hanging artwork which just didn't get done right after I moved in. That's about it.
Wow, that's awesome. Pictures?

Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Choosing a colour for the kitchen walls.

It's a small kitchen, so it won't be a huge project. I'm so indecisive about colours, though... looking for a light- to medium-tone greenish yellow, or do I mean yellowish green?

I'm leaning towards Benjamin Moore "Golden Delicious". Or possibly "Sweet Pear" which is a shade or two lighter.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:55 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating