Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,305,397 times

Advertisements

The rug came and it looks good with the table. Here's to hoping it doesn't happily keep every piece of cat attached to it like glue. I'm lucky to have a cat willing to test it out right this moment so I will surely find out by the end of this week.

Now the curtains don't quite look right. But I bought these surprisingly nice ones at Walmart. So if I find something that goes better then I don't mind the swap.

Now I have to keep my eyes open for some new pillows, throws and possibly something for the table too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,222,758 times
Yard sale is over and I managed to get rid of a lot of crap...er...stuff. It was the BEST yard sale I EVER had.

I still haven't cleaned off the porch yet-will do that some time this week. Today, I am going to organized my "inventory room", get rid of the empty boxes (have a lot of them now since the crap...er...stuff that was in them was sold this weekend, and hopefully, I will be able to maneuver easier. Once all that is done, then I need to start concentrating on eBay-listing crap...er...stuff to get rid of it.

In case anyone is not aware, we are in the business of buying junk & selling antiques (we have a booth at an antique mall and we do eBay). Most of this stuff we bought with the intent to sell. For many years we have done more buying than selling and it is amazing how much the inventory adds up. And, with the move two years ago, selling was kind of put on hold. So now, I'm trying to sell, sell, sell to bring our inventory to a workable amount.

Cat

Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Yard sale is over and I managed to get rid of a lot of crap...er...stuff. It was the BEST yard sale I EVER had.

I still haven't cleaned off the porch yet-will do that some time this week. Today, I am going to organized my "inventory room", get rid of the empty boxes (have a lot of them now since the crap...er...stuff that was in them was sold this weekend, and hopefully, I will be able to maneuver easier. Once all that is done, then I need to start concentrating on eBay-listing crap...er...stuff to get rid of it.

In case anyone is not aware, we are in the business of buying junk & selling antiques (we have a booth at an antique mall and we do eBay). Most of this stuff we bought with the intent to sell. For many years we have done more buying than selling and it is amazing how much the inventory adds up. And, with the move two years ago, selling was kind of put on hold. So now, I'm trying to sell, sell, sell to bring our inventory to a workable amount.

Cat
That almost sounds like fun!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,222,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That almost sounds like fun!

It can be fun. We go to auctions which are a lot of fun. I love when we come home from an auction with all our "loot" and go through everything to see if there was any treasure we missed. The next day, I am on the computer doing research to see exactly how well we scored. But, the real proof is when we sell an item for a profit. Our BEST score was buying two boxes of vintage dolls (from the '50s, '60s, & '70s) for $40. We sold ONE of those dolls for over $1,000! Man, we were doing the Happy Dance over that one.

It can also be a bit frustrating, too. There have been several months when we haven't even made our rent at our booth. Or there have been times when I will list something on eBay I don't know how many times and it still doesn't sell. It really is a good thing that this isn't our livelihood because we would be starving right now. But, we said that we will do this as long as it is fun. When it stops being fun, we stop doing it.

Well, we found our porch today. It was covered with crap...er...stuff since our yard sale in June. We knew we were going to have another one so we didn't bother putting anything away. Of course there was a lot less to put away, today. So, now I'm thinking of the next sale sometime next year. I'm wondering do I want to do one or two? Hubby said, "Don't even THINK about it right now." There is still plenty to do with eBay & the booth than worry about our next yard sale-which won't be until after winter.

Cat

Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 AM

We've been working on our outdoor living space, so I've been told that's not appropriate to post here - it needs to go in the Garden section. But that's been a huge project and we're in the home stretch now. I started a thread there with photos as we've progressed.

Patio project - pictures will be included. Major overhaul!

I mean, it's decorating - but it's outdoors.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 AM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
It can be fun. We go to auctions which are a lot of fun. I love when we come home from an auction with all our "loot" and go through everything to see if there was any treasure we missed. The next day, I am on the computer doing research to see exactly how well we scored. But, the real proof is when we sell an item for a profit. Our BEST score was buying two boxes of vintage dolls (from the '50s, '60s, & '70s) for $40. We sold ONE of those dolls for over $1,000! Man, we were doing the Happy Dance over that one.

It can also be a bit frustrating, too. There have been several months when we haven't even made our rent at our booth. Or there have been times when I will list something on eBay I don't know how many times and it still doesn't sell. It really is a good thing that this isn't our livelihood because we would be starving right now. But, we said that we will do this as long as it is fun. When it stops being fun, we stop doing it.

Well, we found our porch today. It was covered with crap...er...stuff since our yard sale in June. We knew we were going to have another one so we didn't bother putting anything away. Of course there was a lot less to put away, today. So, now I'm thinking of the next sale sometime next year. I'm wondering do I want to do one or two? Hubby said, "Don't even THINK about it right now." There is still plenty to do with eBay & the booth than worry about our next yard sale-which won't be until after winter.

Cat
My husband and I did this for years too. It was fun to score "finds" at auctions and to visit antique shops when we traveled. I had a booth fo a few years and usually made the rent. I specialized in antique samplers and textiles. The best find was an oil painting that I bought for $300 and sold for $2300.

Anyway, we finally decided that, for the most part, we seemed to buy high, and sell low, so even though it was fun, we stopped. Before we moved we had a huge auction, and a lot of people got a lot of good stuff.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
We've been working on our outdoor living space, so I've been told that's not appropriate to post here - it needs to go in the Garden section. But that's been a huge project and we're in the home stretch now. I started a thread there with photos as we've progressed.

Patio project - pictures will be included. Major overhaul!

I mean, it's decorating - but it's outdoors.
Tight, tight, uptight.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Tight, tight, uptight.
Yes.

This has been a long, arduous project - taking as long as our kitchen redo did a year ago. Sheeze!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:59 AM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Yes.

This has been a long, arduous project - taking as long as our kitchen redo did a year ago. Sheeze!!!
What is the weather like during the winter in TX? I hope you get to enjoy it when its done.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What is the weather like during the winter in TX? I hope you get to enjoy it when its done.
Oh, we have fabulous, fabulous winters here! We should be able to start enjoying the hot tub in October through May. The night time temps drop into the lower 60s and upper 50s in October and we usually have our first frost in November and our last frost toward the end of March.

First and Last Freeze for Texas cities

Most winter nights are cold and clear, with lows in the 30s but the early evening lows in the 40s and most winter days are in the 50s or low 40s. I like the clear nights because we can sit in the hot tub under the stars. (We've had a hot tub in the past so I know we'll use this one.) Lots of sun, though we do get some rainy weather in the early spring, and some of my favorite winter days are those short, dark, rainy January days. Maybe I'm crazy, but we get so much sun during the rest of the year, that I cherish those few short, dark, dripping days. January is one of my favorite months.

We can use the fire pit from probably October through May - eight months out of the year. We did a trial run with a free standing fire pit prior to investing in this one and we used it regularly and enjoyed it for about that time span.

We get a couple of inches of snow per year - usually just a dusting a couple of times. About once every 10 years we get an actual snow fall of 4-5 inches and it's a really BIG, BIG DEAL. Kids out of school, businesses shut down, snow men in every yard, and many, many people in the ER from falls and fender benders! LOL

From mid June through September (about three and a half months) the only patio sitting we do is in the evenings, with the ceiling fans going, watching grandkids and/or dogs play outside. We're lucky to have several good shade trees in the back yard but even so, especially in July and August, the summer heat is pretty oppressive. I don't like sitting outside in muggy heat, even at night! It's September and FINALLY the evening temps are dipping down into the low 70s and upper 60s and that's fine, but evening temps in the 80s just make me want to hang out in the AC inside!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-23-2016 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating