Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Brrrr, it's cold outside.

Feeling better but my voice still sounds so awful that if I want to tell others I'm pitiful, and stay home and do nothing, I can get away with it!

Not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Today and yesterday I worked on absolutely nothing. That is because I am sick as a dog and amazingly, I have completely lost my voice, which I did not realize till I answered the phone this morning and no sound came out of my mouth. My dogs are freaked out.

It is freezing cold here - by "freezing" I mean that here in northeast Texas it is literally below 32 degrees, so therefore freezing. I am not used to this. I have had a fire blazing all day and Pandora's James Taylor Holiday music playing and hot tea till I am hot tead out, and I would say I've had fun except for the feeling like crap part.

Oh well.
Enjoy! Seriously, I think it would be a blessing to be mute, a just a little sick. Jammie's all day, music and a good book.
Maybe your body wants you to just recover, and take lots of naps, after your stressful month.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Enjoy! Seriously, I think it would be a blessing to be mute, a just a little sick. Jammie's all day, music and a good book.
Maybe your body wants you to just recover, and take lots of naps, after your stressful month.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly right!!!!!! And I'm doing exactly that - and it's wonderful.

I did a few errands this evening and it tired me out so I know that my "energy" is still pretty shallow. So there's my excuse! And I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Spent several hours this afternoon cleaning the garage. Vacuum to rid the large debris and crap. Then mopped the floor several times.

Previously, I had had the entire illegal electrical wiring replaced, drywall prepped and painted. Installed a utility sink, led garage light (replaced the cancer causing florescent). New washer, dryer and water heater.

Garage was filthy. From drywall dust, wood shavings etc etc. Thinking about lining the garage floor with some rubber mats.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Spent several hours this afternoon cleaning the garage. Vacuum to rid the large debris and crap. Then mopped the floor several times.

Previously, I had had the entire illegal electrical wiring replaced, drywall prepped and painted. Installed a utility sink, led garage light (replaced the cancer causing florescent). New washer, dryer and water heater.

Garage was filthy. From drywall dust, wood shavings etc etc. Thinking about lining the garage floor with some rubber mats.
I had porcelain tile put down in my garage. My car doesn't leak anything, but you never know until after it does leak. I was afraid of tire marks too, so I got a G-floor ribbed 7.5x17' mat in sandstone to go under my car. I love it. After a couple of days, it was perfectly smooth...no curled edges or bubbly places. I have a large SUV, so there was a little learning curve to get the car on there so that all four tires were on the mat. I think you'll like the mats. I think I paid around $190 for mine.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:19 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
down to the last float of thinned drywall mud and one more sanding then I should be able to start priming/sealing and painting the bathroom.

DH is spending the day replacing our water heater which decided that December was a good time to give up the ghost and #4 son who is visiting has decided that today is a good day to go skiing so it looks like I'm on my own with the other chores.

If I can persuade Jim Dandy and Boss Hoss to adjust their roosts I might even be able to get my car in the garage too. They are our resident roosters who lost their home in a raccoon attack so moved into the garage for safety. If we didn't have the dogs they would probably come indoors like they do with one of our neighbours (he says they like Sunday afternoon football)

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I had porcelain tile put down in my garage. My car doesn't leak anything, but you never know until after it does leak. I was afraid of tire marks too, so I got a G-floor ribbed 7.5x17' mat in sandstone to go under my car. I love it. After a couple of days, it was perfectly smooth...no curled edges or bubbly places. I have a large SUV, so there was a little learning curve to get the car on there so that all four tires were on the mat. I think you'll like the mats. I think I paid around $190 for mine.

Awesome. I found some slate gray ones at walmart for $129. I purchased 2. I wanted black but they were 189. This should hide the bad concrete touch-up my dad did w/o my permission. (he took it upon himself to cover some of the cracks on the floor).

Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 PM

483 posts, read 417,998 times
Had to drop off my Roman boy at the Groomer's today and went to HomeGoods to shop for an outside the bath cabinet (to organize towels for guests who will be staying for 10 days).

Came back with a metal shoe cabinet (with filing handles real cool looking) and the outside bath cab that hubby loves.

So 2 home furnishings and a groomed doggie...
Happy day!!!
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_20161210_230140.jpg   What are you working on now?-img_20161210_233035.jpg  

Old 12-11-2016, 10:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Closet remodel!

The closet off the master is 8x8. Two of the walls are taken up by doors, so there are two equal length walls available for closet organizer. For whatever reason, the original builder decided to put up walls and bifold doors at those two walls, sort of a closet within a closet, meaning that there is a corner where the walls intersected that you couldn't really see in that was just wasted space.

Yanked out the walls,
patched the floor,
scrapped popcorn ceiling off (the popcorn ceiling was only outside the enclosed walls, so we had 2 different ceiling textures),
retextured the ceiling,
added new trim,
changed light fixture to an "aimable" 6 light fixture on a dimmer,
re-painted a cream color with white trim the same white as the shelving units,
put down temporary inexpensive snap-togther vinyl plank flooring (when the bedroom and bathroom finally get remodeled, the floor in the closet will change to match),
bought 3 white DIY shelving units, which we had to modify a bit to make them 86" tall and add extra shelves,
bought extra shelving to make shoe racks,
on my side there is a 3/4 height hanging pole with shoe racks under, a 16" wide shelving unit with grey felt baskets and then a stretch of almost 5' of hanging double poles - height sized for the tunics I like to wear, so I almost have to stand on my toes to reach the top shelf (and I am just shy of 6' tall)
on the spouse's side, I stole about 18" for a full-height pole for dresses, then he has a 16" wide shelf unit and a 12" wide shelf unit and double hanging poles. There is 7" at the top of his side that has various plastic bins (the long kind with a lid that fit under beds) that hold his "off-season" clothing.

I still have a dresser in the bedroom, he was able to get rid of his. All-in-all about $600 in materials and about 5 days labor. A local closet company wanted about $3,500 to do a similar job (without the demolition and flooring).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-11-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 08:23 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
Just finished making and installing a barn style door. Was going to buy one at Home Depot for almost $500 but then realized I could build one for less than $100. Turned out nice.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_2835-2-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating