Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My bathroom reno is going to take moving a window, so I'd rather not do it in the dead of winter. The tub and surround we have is old and tiny, such that even with one of the shower curtain rods that bows out, when I wash my hair I bang my elbows on the wall or poke out the shower curtain.

And not only does the bathroom window need to be replaced, to get the extra 6"+ for the shower wall I need to move the wall behind it, which it shares with the kitchen pantry (which is far too deep and you tend to "lose" items in the back, very hard to reach all the way back), I probably should replace the kitchen window, too.

The reno will be - all new shower, floor tile, wall tile, vanity.

Probably ahead of this will be new kitchen countertops with an undermount sink. The hold up on that one is that I need to decide whether it is worth the money to run a gas line and buy a new gas top stove. I need a new stove no matter what I decide, which helps tip things toward the gas stove.

The kitchen counters are in very good shape (shaker cherry) and while they aren't my favorite, it is just not worth replacing them. When the last owners did the reno, they got a gray-and-white flecked granite of poor quality - it has some pretty deep pits in it that can be hard to clean (say when you roll out dough) and some places where they left something acidic that sort of ate the granite. I also dislike the kitchen sink they chose, which has a high lip around it.

So a lighter stone counter, more white and gray than gray and white and black as the present one is, probably quartz instead of granite. The kitchen is a small galley, so hopefully it can be done in one slab, which would keep costs down.
Finding a remnant would be great. That's what we did and it made a pretty nice size difference in the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Office remodel. Partly done. We still need to add shelving above the desk, but haven't decided exactly what it should be. I'm going to hang our portable vacuum cleaner (one of the best buys ever) on the wall where the folding chair and shredder are. At some point I'll replace the pantry doors, but that's going to be later. The rest needs to be finished first.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
Nice use of space, but you need a pop of color, maybe a bold color art piece or add the color when you deal with the pantry doors.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Doesn't that file cabinet bother you, TekFreek? It looks like your right elbow would bump it.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Wow, way to maximize a space! I agree, it does seem like the filing cabinet would bother me, but you don't have a lot of options in a space that small.

I do think you need some color in there - artwork!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:46 PM

That is not my bailiwick. It's the Mrs so I don't have to worry about the file cabinet. If I worked there it would be a problem, be she is a rather petite person (5'-0 and a bit) so she fits just fine. I would be banging into it constantly. If I sit in that chair my right arm is up against it.

As for color, yes I agree. But it's still early in the project. And I think she likes her workspace to have as little distraction as possible. I know if I was doing bills (something I'm terrible at) I would want quiet, peaceful and nothing to distract.

Good observations and thanks for the color ideas. She and I will have a few more sit downs before we're finished and it will be a topic of conversation. We still haven't figured out what style of cabinet to put on the wall above the desk. The other side won't have any. That's been decided by her so that might be the place for some artwork.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM

483 posts, read 417,940 times
Office (4th bedroom) aka Hubs "vanity" room remodel.

Ikea cabinets and sleeper sofa.
Will add more awards on the walls (not pics).
Also display his cameras n gears in the glass cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_20161209_094323.jpg   What are you working on now?-img_20161209_094258.jpg  

Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Tomorrow the tile guy arrives to install my kitchen backsplash. I am getting pretty sick of clearing out my kitchen for contractors, but at least this is the last one. Anyway, I will post pictures of the finished product later in the week.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 PM

483 posts, read 417,940 times
Another area I finished outside the bath in the hallway, the bath towel cabinet from HomeGoods n mirror from Pier one.

Just in time for company for the holidays.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_20161223_141410.jpg  

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
Another area I finished outside the bath in the hallway, the bath towel cabinet from HomeGoods n mirror from Pier one.

Just in time for company for the holidays.
That looks really good. Love the mirror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating