Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Looking great, folks!

I just regrouped on my house plant concept, moved a gigantic plant that was taking up too much prime real estate in my house to outside and planted it in the shade - if it makes it, it makes it. Anyway, then I repaired and moved a cute, vintage plant stand into my house and put it in that spot, which gets great light (in my foyer and there's a lot of natural light that's filtered that shines in throughout the day - perfect for many plants). I gathered up various pots and bought a few new ones, and also gathered up houseplants and bought a few new ones. Then I sprung for a very nice indoor tree that will grow vertically but not horizontally, which I really like. It was not cheap so I really hope it makes it. i fertilized all the plant and made sure they are getting the lighting they need. So far, about a week later, they are all super happy!

I love indoor plants because they purify the air. I like for them to be happy so (yes, I know this may sound crazy) I talk to them a little each day - I tell them I love them and that I appreciate the work they do, and I brag about how strong and good they are! I stroke their leaves and smile at them. I promise you, I think this helps them!

Here are a few of my indoor babies - this isn't all of them! I guess I am a Crazy Plant Lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
1. That cat is fantastic!

2. You can grow african violets. I hate you. LOL!

3. Talking to and touching plants does indeed work.

I have a soft spot in my heart for African violets. We inherited a bunch from my mother because she grew them. She pretty much had a forest of them and they were HUGE. So, her plants were divided up. We got 4 of hers. One by one, they started dying. I just know that my mother was looking down on me in disappointment. We only had 1 of the 4 left. We have since figured out what we have done wrong.

For those of you who don't know about African violets:

We have known that you are supposed to water them from the bottom. What we didn't know, is that sometimes they get too big for their pots and we SHOULD have transplanted them. Also, we have been getting new plants. We just take a leaf and put it in water until it creates shoots. Then we put it in dirt. We managed to get a couple of plants from leaves so far. So, I think now my mother is looking down smiling.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
In our small bathroom, we finally put up the medicine cabinet that was in there when we bought the place. First try, we managed to put it up open and the door was on the wrong side of the shower to the clawfoot tub which meant we couldn't close it. Ok. So, we took it down and tried it again. After it was up for a while, I noticed the back was coming off and the cabinet started leaning forward and the door wouldn't close. So, we took it down, stapled the back and put it back up. Of course we had to made more holes in the wall because the others were getting too big for the screws. I told Hubby that if it happens again, we are going to replace the entire thing! So, after a while, I noticed the back was coming off AGAIN! I kind of hoped it would happen because I actually wanted to replace it.

So, after scouring the internet, I found one-the same size as the old one (it HAD to be small-it is a tiny bathroom) but in oak-that would match our vanity (which is faux oak). So today, we took down the old one. And man, there were mega holes in the wall from each time we put the other one up. I suggested patching it BEFORE putting up the new one. But, we didn't have any mud. So, off to the hardware store Hubby goes, and muds the wall. We are going to let it dry and put the new cabinet up tomorrow.

This wasn't supposed to be THAT hard!

Cat

Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My wife collects small juice glasses called Swanky Swigs. These little glasses started out in the mid 30s and actually came with cheese or jelly from Kraft. After the Kraft product was used up, you had a nice glass which you could still use.

https://retroreclaimations.com/blogs...e-swanky-swigs

Anyways, my wife wanted a few shelves to display her collection.

Well, this is what I came up with and I'm really happy with the results. It started with a piece of pine. I then used a jigsaw to cut out the round shape followed by a lot of sanding and painting. I did have to notch out a small piece in the back to go around some cabinet trim. What do you think?
The glasses are darling. Your shelves look amazing. I bet your wife is very pleased.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
We have a cute little front porch with a huge maple tree that gives a lot of privacy from the street. I had used this table as my painting table, but it was the perfect size for the porch, so I am revamping it. I also had a bunch of Ethan Allen fancy pantsed chairs that someone gave me, so I painted them and am now reupholstering some seats for them.
So cute. I wish I could paint like that. I love all your fun colors.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Looking great, folks!

I just regrouped on my house plant concept, moved a gigantic plant that was taking up too much prime real estate in my house to outside and planted it in the shade - if it makes it, it makes it. Anyway, then I repaired and moved a cute, vintage plant stand into my house and put it in that spot, which gets great light (in my foyer and there's a lot of natural light that's filtered that shines in throughout the day - perfect for many plants). I gathered up various pots and bought a few new ones, and also gathered up houseplants and bought a few new ones. Then I sprung for a very nice indoor tree that will grow vertically but not horizontally, which I really like. It was not cheap so I really hope it makes it. i fertilized all the plant and made sure they are getting the lighting they need. So far, about a week later, they are all super happy!

I love indoor plants because they purify the air. I like for them to be happy so (yes, I know this may sound crazy) I talk to them a little each day - I tell them I love them and that I appreciate the work they do, and I brag about how strong and good they are! I stroke their leaves and smile at them. I promise you, I think this helps them!

Here are a few of my indoor babies - this isn't all of them! I guess I am a Crazy Plant Lady.
I also love house plants and have lots of them. One is such a monster I want to take it out but not sure I can lift it this year. I am considering getting some sore of cart to move it on. For get the name but it has gorgeous large flowers in it that only bloom starting about 10PM and smell heavenly and if you miss it blooming it is gone by early morning. I keep cutting it back and have two more growing on pots and they must be happy with their new placement because both of them are getting really large too. My plants keep growing and I keep trimming them then planting the trimmings and soon I will be living in a jungle. but that is fine I also love them.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-5-26-16-cerus-b.jpg  

Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
So cute. I wish I could paint like that. I love all your fun colors.
Thank you! It's all in the brush. Come on over and paint with me. I'll show you how to do it!

Old 06-01-2017, 05:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I have a soft spot in my heart for African violets. We inherited a bunch from my mother because she grew them. She pretty much had a forest of them and they were HUGE. So, her plants were divided up. We got 4 of hers. One by one, they started dying. I just know that my mother was looking down on me in disappointment. We only had 1 of the 4 left. We have since figured out what we have done wrong.

For those of you who don't know about African violets:

We have known that you are supposed to water them from the bottom. What we didn't know, is that sometimes they get too big for their pots and we SHOULD have transplanted them. Also, we have been getting new plants. We just take a leaf and put it in water until it creates shoots. Then we put it in dirt. We managed to get a couple of plants from leaves so far. So, I think now my mother is looking down smiling.

Cat

All this is true!

They really do have to be transplanted from time to time. I don't water mine from the bottom but the key is not to water them on the leaves or flowers - water under the leaves. And they do need to be watered frequently but allowed to get ALMOST dry in between - they have to be in a well filtered pot.

For me, the kitchen windowsill is perfect because it's easy for me to remember to water them.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I also love house plants and have lots of them. One is such a monster I want to take it out but not sure I can lift it this year. I am considering getting some sore of cart to move it on. For get the name but it has gorgeous large flowers in it that only bloom starting about 10PM and smell heavenly and if you miss it blooming it is gone by early morning. I keep cutting it back and have two more growing on pots and they must be happy with their new placement because both of them are getting really large too. My plants keep growing and I keep trimming them then planting the trimmings and soon I will be living in a jungle. but that is fine I also love them.
Wow, what a bloom!!!!! I love it.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Thank you! It's all in the brush. Come on over and paint with me. I'll show you how to do it!
Funny thing is I could easily do what you did in paint with glass mosaic but to paint it. Well believe me I have tried.

I ended up having to bring my night stand cabinet inside because thunder is frightening my dog and I did not want to leave him in the house alone. So now I have this cabinet on tarp in the middle of my kitchen. Photo was with it still in the garage. If I tried to do it anywhere else he would try to climb in my lap, all 50 pounds of him, and that would never work. LOL He will not walk across the kitchen floor but he was getting awfully close. Poor guy.

I think I can paint some straight lines in the details of this cabinet. And perfectly straight is not important. But then I would not want to hide it away all the time in the guest room. And I actually love the shelf I have in there beside my bed right now. It holds everything I need and then some. LOL And I would not knock the phone off of it because it has a back above top shelf to hold it.

The cabinet is now sporting a coat of white primer. There is a drawer that goes in slot in the bottom and a door in front of the shelves. Door is still out in garage with clamps on it drying from some repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-6-1-17-cabinet.jpg  

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I worked on my cactus collection over the past weekend. I have a log planter on my bathroom window ledge, that I nicknamed "The magic Log", because anything ever planted in it for some odd reason grows and then has to be re potted, thank God I have an office to bring them. The tall group of cactus to the right was only 2 little guys, and this is what happened over time....and that's why the others had to come out.

So I went to Lowe's and bought some flower pots and transplanted them from "the magic log", and then had clippings from a cactus in my office that I replanted into the magic log, which sprouts a stalk with tiny orange flowers on it, I had no idea the cactus did that. (those are the three to the left)

I now have 3 cactus plants in my living room windows and one odd one, that I don't know what it is, but it also gets orange flowers, then gets too big I cut and re root and start the whole process over.

I have a very sunny apartment on the 4th floor, so all my plants do well.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-magic-log.jpg   What are you working on now?-cactus-1.jpg   What are you working on now?-cactus-2.jpg  

Last edited by nightcrawler; 06-01-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating