Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 12:25 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times

Advertisements

Toilet paper holders are amazing Love the skeleton. But the Bear is also pretty cute.

A dear friend of mine passed away almost two years ago. The family, which is large, has been picking through her things to try to clear the house. I asked for one thing, an old set of TV trays that are so pretty in the soft greens with big crazy roses on them, only if no one else wanted them. So they called me to come get them and anything else I would like. This little shelf cabinet I also brought home was her pride and Joy from her high school years when she had to move away to go to high school. She was 95 when she passed away. I think she said her uncle made it for her. No one wanted it so I was blessed to be able to have it.

It was painted an ugly streaked brown and I remember her always saying she did not like the color. And me and my white furniture of course painted it white. It is not wood that was meant to be left bare. It is all scrap wood. I had to do some repairs on it and there is some bits and pieces scuffed off the legs. It is the perfect piece to set beside my fridge. It is three shelves but I am not a fan of totally open shelving. I cover everything with curtains. This was made from an old crib coverlet. I have the other half on another cabinet in my bedroom. The top little cabinet holds a few of my friends treasured little things and more of my own and it was not part of this shelf I just thought they would marry nicely together. It was badly painted black before I sanded and painted on it.

Very hard to photo. I had to take picture standing in my laundry room. The stove is directly across from this.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-6-4-17-louises-cabinet.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 03:53 PM

Today it is to be the living room carpet cleaned. I was also going to do the front porch but it is already 90 degrees out there and I just slipped and fell on the kitchen floor so enough is enough. Tomorrow is another day. I still have to put everything back after the rug dries.

I just finished shampooing and then rinsing this 8 by 10 rug. It is old but a good one. Kind of odd colors yet it fits in with my colors so all is good there. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago and spent $50.00 and 8 hours cleaning it after I got it home. I think it is wool. The lady I bought it from said she paid $1000 for it new. No tag on it so I have no idea of brand but it is very dense. So happy to have it cleaned. I did not get to clean it last year with hubby sick.

I was out of the usual carpet cleaner I use to used an Oxy-clean spot remover in the tank water and I think it did brighten up the colors some.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-6-4-17-living-room-rug.jpg  

Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Got an email from our contractor. The work in the downstairs bathroom will FINALLY begin on Monday! YAY!!!!! I have only been waiting for 3 years now.

But, pieces to the puzzle we still need is the now are the new bathtub faucet and then the toilet paper holder & hand towel holder (don't know if I want a bar or a ring-we have a ring now). My new sink faucet has been sitting in my dinning room for the past few weeks now. lol. Haven't even seen the tile yet because the contractor picked it up. It really shouldn't take too long to do. My guestimate is probably about a week.

Don't worry, there will be pics/video. I have already taken the before pics. lol.

Cat
DARN! Why didn't I know about the skeleton tp holder before?
But seriously, I hate round towel rings. I think you should get a straight one. Nothing worse than one lonely damp hand towel at a party. At least with a rod, you can fit several at once.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Today it is to be the living room carpet cleaned. I was also going to do the front porch but it is already 90 degrees out there and I just slipped and fell on the kitchen floor so enough is enough. Tomorrow is another day. I still have to put everything back after the rug dries.

I just finished shampooing and then rinsing this 8 by 10 rug. It is old but a good one. Kind of odd colors yet it fits in with my colors so all is good there. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago and spent $50.00 and 8 hours cleaning it after I got it home. I think it is wool. The lady I bought it from said she paid $1000 for it new. No tag on it so I have no idea of brand but it is very dense. So happy to have it cleaned. I did not get to clean it last year with hubby sick.

I was out of the usual carpet cleaner I use to used an Oxy-clean spot remover in the tank water and I think it did brighten up the colors some.
Ok, you have shamed me into it. My bedroom carpet has a soiled path. I bought a new shampooer a few months ago and it's still in the box. Maybe today is the day.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, you have shamed me into it. My bedroom carpet has a soiled path. I bought a new shampooer a few months ago and it's still in the box. Maybe today is the day.
My shampooer is almost 20 years old. A hoover steam and Vac. Only I am clueless where the steam comes in there is nothing heating as I am working on the carpet. I think you are just supposed to put hot water in it and use your imagination. LOL

Today I hope to do the front porch rug and call it good. I have vinyl in the rest of the house and I do not shampoo the rug in the dinning room since I actually painted it and do not want to wash the paint off. Was a cheep rug with pretty pattern ugly colors. Bring on the craft paint.

Gentlearts hoping your cleaner works well and no problems putting it together. Seems there is always some assembly.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
My shampooer is almost 20 years old. A hoover steam and Vac. Only I am clueless where the steam comes in there is nothing heating as I am working on the carpet. I think you are just supposed to put hot water in it and use your imagination. LOL

Today I hope to do the front porch rug and call it good. I have vinyl in the rest of the house and I do not shampoo the rug in the dinning room since I actually painted it and do not want to wash the paint off. Was a cheep rug with pretty pattern ugly colors. Bring on the craft paint.

Gentlearts hoping your cleaner works well and no problems putting it together. Seems there is always some assembly.
All done! My previous shampooer, a Bissell, used to break every time I used it. This is a Hoover, and it just uses warm water....no heating in it. So far so good, I don't think I broke it!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:
DARN! Why didn't I know about the skeleton tp holder before?
But seriously, I hate round towel rings. I think you should get a straight one. Nothing worse than one lonely damp hand towel at a party. At least with a rod, you can fit several at once.

Good point but they don't have a bar that matches the tp holder we are going for. And we have a ring now-so we are just going to replace it. I am in search of a table to go on the other side of the sink so I can put more towels on it-once I find the right table.

Cat

Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:

Quote:
All done! My previous shampooer, a Bissell, used to break every time I used it. This is a Hoover, and it just uses warm water....no heating in it. So far so good, I don't think I broke it!

My shampooer is at the grocery store. I usually rent it about once a year which reminds me that it is about that time to do it.

Cat

Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Good point but they don't have a bar that matches the tp holder we are going for. And we have a ring now-so we are just going to replace it. I am in search of a table to go on the other side of the sink so I can put more towels on it-once I find the right table.

Cat
Cat, my friend, who is super organized (I mean her whole pantry contents are contained in jars with calligraphy labels) has a sweet system. She has a basket of rolled up wash clothes (white, of course) in her powder room, and as you dry your hands, you drop the used one into another basket. Of course she always has the first one in the second basket for those of us who are too stupid to comprehend the system.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:51 PM

[quote=Gentlearts; All done! My previous shampooer, a Bissell, used to break every time I used it. This is a Hoover, and it just uses warm water....no heating in it. So far so good, I don't think I broke it![/QUOTE]
So glad you got it done. Always feels and looks good knowing the carpet is clean. I am not sorry we got rid of the W to W. Not such a huge project for me as it used to be.

Quote:
My shampooer is at the grocery store. I usually rent it about once a year which reminds me that it is about that time to do it.
Cat
I would love to be able to do that but my only rental place is 45 miles away. IF they still do rentals on them. I have not paid attention since I bought mine. And with all these animals I find the need for a quick clean once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating