Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Landscapers came yesterday to add some larger plants and put in the pavers at the back door. Went to the nursery today for some smaller plants to fill in some spaces. Planting them tomorrow and then some finessing on the lighting. Still need a couple of stepping stones to the pathway.
We need pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,062 times
Finishing up the "Autistic Pride" painting [no, I am not an artist, but really getting into finger painting with acrylics] to go above fireplace we just completed with some professional assistance. On the wall .opposite the fireplace I am hanging some mirrors after I put some designs on them with Gallery Glass but I have to keep stopping when my hands start shaking.

Last month I purchased a gorgeous cobalt kaleidioscope-not the kids version- and I am trying to learn how to make these. There are a number of tutorials but I can't find some of the items I would need.

We only have 4 concrete steps left to redo. We have already rebuilt over 40, and a little patio next to them. If the weather stays good we might FINALLY have them finished the end of next week.

Still going wild making the floating teacups. Probably not in style but I love them.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Our first big project in the new house will be.... a secret door!

At first I made this face when my husband suggested it:

But the idea has grown on me. We are walling off a section of a room over our garage to make a storage room. Since rooms like this often have more creative/fun decor anyway, he wants to build one wall with a bookcase facing the rest of the room. Next to it will be the secret door, designed to blend in with the rest of the bookcase. It opens with you pull out a book.

So, basically something like you'd see in a movie. Or an episode of "Scooby Doo" LOL.

Has anyone ever built one of these and if so do you have any wisdom to share?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

But the idea has grown on me. We are walling off a section of a room over our garage to make a storage room. Since rooms like this often have more creative/fun decor anyway, he wants to build one wall with a bookcase facing the rest of the room. Next to it will be the secret door, designed to blend in with the rest of the bookcase. It opens with you pull out a book.

So, basically something like you'd see in a movie. Or an episode of "Scooby Doo" LOL.

My daughter would totally throw me over and come live with y'all just for that!! She's all the time finding various secret doors and trying to get me to make one. Soooo cool and you HAVE to show pictures after you're done!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:

i love the idea, love it !!!

also an episode of matlock, the sister went thru the secret door inside the closet. love it.

sounds like a kids dream come true, hid n seek at your house

Old 10-10-2017, 04:01 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:

Hubby & I are so disappointed that our house didn't come with secret passages or a secret room.

Cat

Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,986,300 times
Quote:

I personally haven't done this, but there was some HGTV show I watched where they built something similar to this. For the door, they actually rigged it to a pop-lock to a buttonand when the button was pressed, the pop-lock would engage and push open the door. To close the door, it was magnetic so when you pushed it shut, it would reset the pop-lock and the magnets would hold the door shut. I'm sure there are youtube videos out there showing how this can be done.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,259 times
Quote:

I totally LOVE this idea. If I had a place in my house to do that, I would do it in a heartbeat. Please post pictures and maybe a video of what you end up doing.

Such fun!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:47 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I totally LOVE this idea. If I had a place in my house to do that, I would do it in a heartbeat. Please post pictures and maybe a video of what you end up doing.

Such fun!
Thanks! We're still focusing more on some basic "moving in" projects. I think we'll start on the storage room and secret door over the winter. I will definitely post photos if I can figure out how. (Tried to post photos of my deck for another thread and never did figure it out, LOL).

Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,259 times
Quote:
Thanks! We're still focusing more on some basic "moving in" projects. I think we'll start on the storage room and secret door over the winter. I will definitely post photos if I can figure out how. (Tried to post photos of my deck for another thread and never did figure it out, LOL).
I hope you do learn how to post pictures because I'd really love to see what you do. If you can't figure out how to do it, let me know and I can probably help you.

Have fun with your projects!

I've lived in my current house for 8 years and am just now starting to decorate and make it "my own" place style wise. Various reasons for the delay - illness being one of them. Now I can't wait to get started! We have popcorn ceilings, which I hate! I didn't know anything about them prior to buying this house, or I would have had them all removed prior to moving in with all of our stuff.

Anyway, I hired someone to remove them and they are coming on Monday to start. We're going to do one room at a time to hopefully decrease some of the mess. First on the list is the guest room. I'm also going to have it all painted and change just about everything. I'm also going to paint the inside of the closet, because I just love having a unique closet. I decided on a pale pink shade for the bedroom walls (still debating between 2 different shades) and a darker shade in the same color family for the inside of the closet.

These are the two choices for the bedroom walls. I know it's hard to tell what they really look like on a computer monitor.

Monticello Rose: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...se?color=HC-63

Queen Anne Pink: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...nk?color=HC-60

For the inside of the closet:

Somerville Red: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...ed?color=HC-62

They are sort of a tan kind of pink. I got some samples and am going to paint sections of the wall tomorrow so that I can see how they look on the actual wall and under different lighting situations.

I'd love to have feedback and/or suggestions from anyone about what I'm planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating