Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wow!
Thanks!

My agenda for today is to paint another 3/4ths of a door. I can paint 3 doors at a time, but each door has 2 sides and needs 2 coats of paint per side, so that's 4 coats of paint. It's taking forever... I have 7 doors to go. Then we didn't buy enough casing so I have to get more of it and paint it. Then the window trim. Some day I hope to be done at which point I hope I never have to paint trim ever again.

While at work today I'm working on staining the stair treads with one of the guys. We're attempting to match the floor using a process of bleaching, staining and cerusing. It's another thing that's taking forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Thanks!

My agenda for today is to paint another 3/4ths of a door. I can paint 3 doors at a time, but each door has 2 sides and needs 2 coats of paint per side, so that's 4 coats of paint. It's taking forever... I have 7 doors to go. Then we didn't buy enough casing so I have to get more of it and paint it. Then the window trim. Some day I hope to be done at which point I hope I never have to paint trim ever again.

While at work today I'm working on staining the stair treads with one of the guys. We're attempting to match the floor using a process of bleaching, staining and cerusing. It's another thing that's taking forever.
Just keep going. It looks amazing so far. Kudos for carrying out a vision.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
nikitakolata

You are doing a great job. You will be an expert painter by the time you are finished

My DH and I are building right now. This season's goal is to finish off one end of the house to use like a studio apartment. We are up to hanging drywall and finishing it. Like painting it is a long drawn out process.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:54 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Every year, for 8 years, we watched the mulch in front of the house wash away. I guess we’re slow learners because we just decided to put gutters on the front of the house in hopes of solving the problem.

Although the sandy soil drains very quickly, a good gully washer is very hard on the bushes under the edge of the roof, too.

Hubby just started them today, but it will take a few days to finish. Thankfully, it’s a one story house.

Extra added bonus, dh got to tie the gutters to the top of the car! Why do men love the thrill and suspense of whether or not their cargo will fall off onto the highway?

Old 03-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Every year, for 8 years, we watched the mulch in front of the house wash away. I guess we’re slow learners because we just decided to put gutters on the front of the house in hopes of solving the problem.

Although the sandy soil drains very quickly, a good gully washer is very hard on the bushes under the edge of the roof, too.

Hubby just started them today, but it will take a few days to finish. Thankfully, it’s a one story house.

Extra added bonus, dh got to tie the gutters to the top of the car! Why do men love the thrill and suspense of whether or not their cargo will fall off onto the highway?
New build here. Gutters were not even mentioned. First couple of rainfalls we got gutters installed.

And BWAHAHAHAHA! On the last sentence!!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Tiling two showers is imminent, and I’m cleaning the garage to get it ready to paint. Hard to say which project is more fun.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:

OMG...I cannot tell you the things Mike and I have hauled. He makes me a wreck sometimes. I used to call us Sanford and Son when we loaded up the trailer in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Tiling two showers is imminent, and I’m cleaning the garage to get it ready to paint. Hard to say which project is more fun.
Do you like tiling? I'd rather clean and paint.

Yay I just grouted our bathtub walls yesterday Painting this morning.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
This weekend, I decided to cut holes in the wall leading upstairs, my wife was freaking out, told her I was creating better ventilation Installed a window in our stairwell, still have to paint or stain and have a couple of other ideas in my head as to what to do with it.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
This weekend, I decided to cut holes in the wall leading upstairs, my wife was freaking out, told her I was creating better ventilation Installed a window in our stairwell, still have to paint or stain and have a couple of other ideas in my head as to what to do with it.

That’s pretty cool!!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:29 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Gearing up to take on a big one. Going to refiiish approximately 2,700 sf of red oak from dark red to natural. Photo of dark floor is our actual floor. Photo of light floor is inspiration. Taking 10 days off during last week of the month to tackle it, and will be renting a drum sander, edge sander, orbital sander. Going to seal the wood with Bona Natual Matte and finish with Bona water based traffic also in a matte finish. No stain. Had job quoted out at $11,000. Plan on spending maybe $3,000 instead via sweat equity approach. Can rent all the equipment via tool rental company for roughly $700 for a few weeks, leaving $2,300 for multiple sanding pieces of differentiating grit, wood fill, and many many gallons of Bona supplies. The floors are 17 years old, sand in place via the original developer, and soooo ready to be refiiished. Going light this time! We have red oak, and the inspiration photo is also red oak. Can't wait to see the end result. Have been wanting to do this since we bought this house in late 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-44f84334-177c-460f-ab6c-df363dca04c2.jpeg   What are you working on now?-b0471575-a2fa-40ae-88a8-53eb67b56054.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating