Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness my daughters do love china because my grandmother inherited HER mom's, and then my mom had hers, and then my grandmother had hers and then I had mine, and then my husband inherited his mother's, and one day I said, 'STOP THE MADNESS!" and gave both my girls a set (or two) and now I have only my grandmother's, and my husband's mom's, and then my every day dishes which are cool as heck anyway because they are Polish pottery. I do use it all and my daughters love and use theirs too.

But I get that some people just don't care about it.

I don't really care one way or another what happens to stuff after I die, but with six granddaughters I have a feeling that someone in the family will want the really old stuff. It really is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,502 times
KathrynAragon, will you adopt me as a granddaughter?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
KathrynAragon, will you adopt me as a granddaughter?
Haha! I already have six granddaughters! Thank goodness. SOMEONE will take some of this stuff one day!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Speaking of heirlooms, we FINALLY bought a dining room table and chairs which should be an heirloom one day. Maybe someone will like it. Solid elm, Amish furniture. Wow, the table is so heavy it's unbelievable.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-dining-room-furniture-new-2018-2.jpg   What are you working on now?-dining-room-furniture-new-2018-3.jpg  

Old 08-04-2018, 09:42 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Very nice. I'm still dragging around the set we bought when we married - it's made about 40 or so moves in all these years.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:09 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speaking of heirlooms, we FINALLY bought a dining room table and chairs which should be an heirloom one day. Maybe someone will like it. Solid elm, Amish furniture. Wow, the table is so heavy it's unbelievable.
I really like your new table and chairs. But I want that marquetry sideboard! It is gorgeous and would fit right in with my other marquetry pieces. I'm drooling here!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love Amish furniture. My daughter has my old table. It needs refinishing due to going through 2 generations of kids. . But it is still solid. The chairs didn't fair that well but will be easy enough to get some that will work with the table.

Beautiful set, Kathryn.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I really like your new table and chairs. But I want that marquetry sideboard! It is gorgeous and would fit right in with my other marquetry pieces. I'm drooling here!
We walked into an antique store a few years ago and she was literally putting the mark down tag (to half price) on the piece as we walked up to it. We snagged it on the spot. The top is the most gorgeous marble you ever saw, and all that marquetry work is inlaid wood and mother of pearl. It really is a gorgeous piece. It's French from about 1870 or 1880. It is an absolute bear to move though!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Very nice. I'm still dragging around the set we bought when we married - it's made about 40 or so moves in all these years.
Thank you!

We found our previous table at a flea market in Belgium - for $75! It is from about 1920 and is solid oak with a parquet top and two leaves that pull out, but even though we've glued and clamped it over and over again, it's just rickety and to top it off, it sits sort of low and then has a lip under the top, so your knees always feel cramped. It is beautiful and nostalgic (had it for about 30 years) but it just wasn't functional. Hopefully this set will last well into the 21st century and beyond. I hope I die before it does in other words! Then I won't care what happens to it but hopefully someone in the family will because Amish furniture tends to live a very long life!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I love Amish furniture. My daughter has my old table. It needs refinishing due to going through 2 generations of kids. . But it is still solid. The chairs didn't fair that well but will be easy enough to get some that will work with the table.

Beautiful set, Kathryn.
I hate to hear that about the chairs, but chairs take a licking!

We only bought four chairs, but may end up buying the two arm chairs for the end. Dang it, chairs are expensive. I have four adorable maple chairs from the 1930s - if we have a crowd over and pull out the leaves, I may just stick those in the mix and who would really care?

Thanks by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating