Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are starting to think about replacing an old wingback that we’ve had since the 1990s. It looks fine if you don’t look too closely, but the seat is definitely too thin for comfort.

Found a retailer that carries the same line of furniture as our sofa and other leather chair, and I’m looking at styles and colors.

One thing is for sure, there aren’t that many wingbacks being made these days.
If you like it, why not just get it reupholstered? They can repad the seat at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
We are starting to think about replacing an old wingback that we’ve had since the 1990s. It looks fine if you don’t look too closely, but the seat is definitely too thin for comfort.

Found a retailer that carries the same line of furniture as our sofa and other leather chair, and I’m looking at styles and colors.

One thing is for sure, there aren’t that many wingbacks being made these days.
Yes, get it re-upholstered! Any good upholstery shop will improve the seat when they do that and if you ask for a new seat cushion they should be able to do that, no problem.

I just re-configured my living room again yesterday. I moved the furniture by myself (not easy since there's a piano) and changed out the light fixture. I also took down all our small 5" x 7" wedding prints and replaced them with fewer prints that are much larger. Oh, and I put up some curtains.

I really need to re-upholster our grasshopper chairs though. I've never liked them in this current house and now they really don't work with the colors in my living room. I think I might have some ottomans made for them so they will balance the room a little better. We're also going to replace our $20 Craig's List coffee table when we find one we like for the room.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_20180816_102234.jpg  

Old 08-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Very nice. I love to look at other people's rooms and see what they did with them.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
If you like it, why not just get it reupholstered? They can repad the seat at the same time.
Mainly because I can’t get DH on board. We don’t know of any upholsterers, and the chair is leather to boot. But I actually would not mind doing that. The shape is good for where we have it. The chair is of good quality. Maybe I could find a local upholsterer. The legs need to be reglues as well.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post

Got bored with the bedroom and decided to rearrange and get some new furniture this summer. Probably should have waited because of obligations at work that came up. Coordinating the deliveries and painters was a bit stressful with travels. Finally done. Also changing out pillowcases for fun...because it's summer in Seattle.
I really like your bedside tables and lamps. They could blend with nearly any style and they're just plain pretty.

Do you mean you changed pillowcases on the bed or pillow covers on the throw pillows? BTW, have you ever looked at Etsy for throw pillows? Endless choices.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yes, get it re-upholstered! Any good upholstery shop will improve the seat when they do that and if you ask for a new seat cushion they should be able to do that, no problem.

I just re-configured my living room again yesterday. I moved the furniture by myself (not easy since there's a piano) and changed out the light fixture. I also took down all our small 5" x 7" wedding prints and replaced them with fewer prints that are much larger. Oh, and I put up some curtains.

I really need to re-upholster our grasshopper chairs though. I've never liked them in this current house and now they really don't work with the colors in my living room. I think I might have some ottomans made for them so they will balance the room a little better. We're also going to replace our $20 Craig's List coffee table when we find one we like for the room.
What a beautiful room!

One suggestion - I think I'd try that coffee table (or another one) centered in front of the sofa instead of in front of the piano. If you keep it small, I think you would have room for the ottomans, which sound like a great idea if they are small. I love the shape of those chairs.

All that crown moulding in the room is beautiful!!!!!!! And I love that serene color of the walls.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Mainly because I can’t get DH on board. We don’t know of any upholsterers, and the chair is leather to boot. But I actually would not mind doing that. The shape is good for where we have it. The chair is of good quality. Maybe I could find a local upholsterer. The legs need to be reglues as well.
If the leather is still good, a good upholsterer can just bolster the seat and reglue the legs. PICTURES.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 AM

My mom, who has dementia, fell and broke her upper arm and is in the hospital. Lots of decisions to make over the next few days. But I was in the middle of putting together a table runner from vintage, hand crocheted doilies when the memory care center called to tell me they'd called an ambulance to come get her. So this was all over my living room floor (bigger project than it first appears to be).

So I finished it last night - partly to relieve stress and do something positive and partly because I was tired of it being spread out on my floor and my dogs walking across it (I'm going to leave that part out when I use it on the table). So here it is and I love it.

My ancestors made some of these doilies. Also, some of them came from some Belgian friends. When they got married, the wife had inherited some beautiful lace doilies and runners that her grandmother and great grandmother had made. They weren't her style but she didn't want to throw them away, so she sent them to us, and WOW that was touching to me. So I sent her this picture to show her that they are put to good use.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-vintage-doilies-table-runner.jpg  

Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 AM

OK give. How did you put them together?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What a beautiful room!

One suggestion - I think I'd try that coffee table (or another one) centered in front of the sofa instead of in front of the piano. If you keep it small, I think you would have room for the ottomans, which sound like a great idea if they are small. I love the shape of those chairs.

All that crown moulding in the room is beautiful!!!!!!! And I love that serene color of the walls.
Yeah, we are going to get a different coffee table for sure. The one we have is a little too wide to be turned the other way. I also got it on Craig's List for $20 over 10 years ago, it's seen better days. I probably can't re-upholster the chairs until the winter and I'll have the ottomans made at the same time. I do personal stuff when business is slower... The summer is crazy.

So, note to anyone wanting to get furniture reupholstered, if you do it after New Year's and before St. Patrick's Day you can probably negotiate a better price. That's when we are always slowest, at least.

So, my living room is on pause until we have time at work and I find some fabric for the chairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating