Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^, i kinda like that stencil thing, yes, that was sort of the color I was thinking, but like you stated the buff color will look nice as well, then with the white trim, for sure.
Im sure lighting has everything to do with it, and sometimes the pictures we show dont do it justice for way it truly looks.

yes I see the wall below your hallway window does carry to the right so it wasnt one straight wall down, maybe that woould look too much a rustish color, so yes, I think your headed in the right direction on what have planned.

I am also loving the wood trim along the sides of the stairs, they did a very good job, then the top of the bannister the same, I like that look.

cant wait to see what you deceide, im sure it will look nice.!!
Lordy I hope so - they don't come cheap that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
I'm in the process of cleaning my shop, putting tools away, organizing stuff. It's a very long process that could take me years to accomplish. Job security for sure!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
^ I wish I had a shop.....

Old 11-03-2018, 02:54 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Since we have moved into this house about 4 years ago, we have tried to sell our other one. The problem is, the real estate market in this area is not great. We first put it on the market 4 years ago (Sep. 2015). Because the house was empty and we were away, the oil company didn't deliver-even though we had auto-delivery. The pipes bursts and we didn't realize it for a while-but we caught it before the pipes thawed.

After having it on the market about a year (and coming down on the price a few times), we decided to rent it out. The first day they moved in, one of the pipes separated and it was basically raining inside. It was caused when the pipes froze. It was the stuff that was holding the pipes together was basically gone. Enter the insurance company. (Sep. 2016.)

Unfortunately, we rented it out to the "tenants from hell." They stopped paying rent in Dec. 2016 and it wasn't until March 2017 that we actually got a court date. We had a writ of possession but she hired a lawyer and made some bogus accusation and the writ of possession was rescinded the same day and we were not giving a new court date. Yeah, we hired the wrong lawyer-but that is another issue. She HAD to move out for family issues but her daughter & her boyfriend stayed. We decided to turn off the water (that we were paying for-the town wouldn't let us switch the bill into their name and of course they didn't pay for their water use-we were). One Friday at 5:00, a local cop came to our door and said that we couldn't turn off the their water (they complained). He looked at his watch and said, "Well, it is 5 on Friday and you can't do anything about it until Monday," he said with a smile. Yeah, the cops wanted them out, too. (The house is right up against the cop shop). By the time the water was turned back on, they left the house and our lawyer told us to take possession. We did-changed the locks! But we had all their crap to deal with-and I do mean CRAP!! There is a shed and the shed was FULL of garbage. We hired a dumpster to clean out the shed because the neighbors complained about the flies and the smell.

We TRIED to negotiate with them about coming to get their crap. That never panned out. The kicker was the boyfriend thought they were going to move back in. We hired a liquidator to come clean out the house. (Sep. 2017) We were lucky that they basically did it for the stuff. No $$$ exchanged hands which we thought was a good deal. If we had to pay someone to deal with their crap, oh man. I'm talking about urine-soaked mattresses, and other nasty stuff. They even found a lot of drug paraphernalia. Oh, a few months ago, we read the daughter's obit in the paper. We don't know for sure but we assume she died of an overdose.

Once the house was cleaned out, then we had to clean-up-repair holes in the wall, paint, etc. Hubby turned off the water, winterized it and just let it sit over winter. He didn't want to deal with another tenant after the last one cost us so much between lost rent, water bills, lawyers, the dumpster, repairs, etc.

So, spring 2018, it went back on the market. After a few months, we lowered the price and lowered the price again. Two weeks ago, Hubby went over there to close the window that had been opened for the last year to air it out from the urine smell. When he got there, he discovered that the upstairs kitchen sink had been leaking-we don't know for how long because the house has been empty for over a year. It was a mess. Enter the insurance company-AGAIN. ServPro was there last week drying everything up but informed us there is mold and the everything is torn up. The downstairs kitchen needs to be put back together-walls, ceiling, & the cabinets need to be put back in. The upstairs kitchen floor needs to be replaced. (I don't have pics.) Our contractor went over there today and will get on it. So that is what we are working on, now. Meanwhile, the house is STILL on the market. If it didn't sell BEFORE all of this, I don't know how it will sell now. I thought about taking it off the market but our realtor said it was ok. Meanwhile, it costs us about $1000 a month with the loan we took out on it to do this house, insurance (which we HAVE needed twice already), now the insurance deductible, taxes, keeping it heated, etc.

For those of you who are still reading this-thanks.

Anybody want to buy a house? We will give you a GREAT deal on it.

Cat

Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Since we have moved into this house about 4 years ago, we have tried to sell our other one. The problem is, the real estate market in this area is not great. We first put it on the market 4 years ago (Sep. 2015). Because the house was empty and we were away, the oil company didn't deliver-even though we had auto-delivery. The pipes bursts and we didn't realize it for a while-but we caught it before the pipes thawed.

After having it on the market about a year (and coming down on the price a few times), we decided to rent it out. The first day they moved in, one of the pipes separated and it was basically raining inside. It was caused when the pipes froze. It was the stuff that was holding the pipes together was basically gone. Enter the insurance company. (Sep. 2016.)

Unfortunately, we rented it out to the "tenants from hell." They stopped paying rent in Dec. 2016 and it wasn't until March 2017 that we actually got a court date. We had a writ of possession but she hired a lawyer and made some bogus accusation and the writ of possession was rescinded the same day and we were not giving a new court date. Yeah, we hired the wrong lawyer-but that is another issue. She HAD to move out for family issues but her daughter & her boyfriend stayed. We decided to turn off the water (that we were paying for-the town wouldn't let us switch the bill into their name and of course they didn't pay for their water use-we were). One Friday at 5:00, a local cop came to our door and said that we couldn't turn off the their water (they complained). He looked at his watch and said, "Well, it is 5 on Friday and you can't do anything about it until Monday," he said with a smile. Yeah, the cops wanted them out, too. (The house is right up against the cop shop). By the time the water was turned back on, they left the house and our lawyer told us to take possession. We did-changed the locks! But we had all their crap to deal with-and I do mean CRAP!! There is a shed and the shed was FULL of garbage. We hired a dumpster to clean out the shed because the neighbors complained about the flies and the smell.

We TRIED to negotiate with them about coming to get their crap. That never panned out. The kicker was the boyfriend thought they were going to move back in. We hired a liquidator to come clean out the house. (Sep. 2017) We were lucky that they basically did it for the stuff. No $$$ exchanged hands which we thought was a good deal. If we had to pay someone to deal with their crap, oh man. I'm talking about urine-soaked mattresses, and other nasty stuff. They even found a lot of drug paraphernalia. Oh, a few months ago, we read the daughter's obit in the paper. We don't know for sure but we assume she died of an overdose.

Once the house was cleaned out, then we had to clean-up-repair holes in the wall, paint, etc. Hubby turned off the water, winterized it and just let it sit over winter. He didn't want to deal with another tenant after the last one cost us so much between lost rent, water bills, lawyers, the dumpster, repairs, etc.

So, spring 2018, it went back on the market. After a few months, we lowered the price and lowered the price again. Two weeks ago, Hubby went over there to close the window that had been opened for the last year to air it out from the urine smell. When he got there, he discovered that the upstairs kitchen sink had been leaking-we don't know for how long because the house has been empty for over a year. It was a mess. Enter the insurance company-AGAIN. ServPro was there last week drying everything up but informed us there is mold and the everything is torn up. The downstairs kitchen needs to be put back together-walls, ceiling, & the cabinets need to be put back in. The upstairs kitchen floor needs to be replaced. (I don't have pics.) Our contractor went over there today and will get on it. So that is what we are working on, now. Meanwhile, the house is STILL on the market. If it didn't sell BEFORE all of this, I don't know how it will sell now. I thought about taking it off the market but our realtor said it was ok. Meanwhile, it costs us about $1000 a month with the loan we took out on it to do this house, insurance (which we HAVE needed twice already), now the insurance deductible, taxes, keeping it heated, etc.

Cat
Throw in the boat? So sorry about this.

Cat, how far away are the houses? It sounds like you or hubby should be checking in on it A LOT more often. At this point maybe you could put it up for auction?

My son has a rental house and it is well worth the fee to use a rental agency. They carefully screen tenants, begin eviction proceedings if necessary (not necessary if you screen carefully), conduct periodic inspections and handle any maintenance issues.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-04-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 12:43 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Throw in the boat? So sorry about this.

Cat, how far away are the houses? It sounds like you or hubby should be checking in on it A LOT more often. At this point maybe you could put it up for auction?

My son has a rental house and it is well worth the fee to use a rental agency. They carefully screen tenants, begin eviction proceedings if necessary (not necessary if you screen carefully), conduct periodic inspections and handle any maintenance issues.
The houses are only a block from each other. I usually leave it up to Hubby to check on it-but, well...sometimes he needs a push.

I have thought about putting it up for auction. The problem is, we still owe on it (the loan) and already we have dropped our listing price below what we owe. If we auction it off, we may get WAY less than that.

We THOUGHT we did everything right when we rented it out to those people-but it was obvious that we didn't. I wouldn't mind trying to rent it out again because it is not selling but Hubby is set against it since the last tenants cost us so much.

Cat

Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
We are in the process of decorating kids rooms. This weekends project was the youngest boys room. Car/race themed. This took all weekend but so worth it
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-20181103_144121.jpg   What are you working on now?-20181104_111915.jpg   What are you working on now?-20181104_172713.jpg  

Old 11-04-2018, 06:06 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We are in the process of decorating kids rooms. This weekends project was the youngest boys room. Car/race themed. This took all weekend but so worth it
That’s adorable.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
This sounds like a nightmare. So sorry about your bad luck.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Update to the boy room. We just started the diamond plate border. It's a pain also but it look cool as all get out.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-20181105_185805.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating