Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 12:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is the stuff you will laugh about in a month. Right now just one more frustration to deal with daily. Take a deep breath and remember in a month you will have had a ton more to write about that this will seems really funny. We have all been there. ����
That's true.

MOVING IS THE WORST THING EVER. It really makes you hate your stuff.

I own two houses and right now they are both gawdawful places to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's true.

MOVING IS THE WORST THING EVER. It really makes you hate your stuff.

I own two houses and right now they are both gawdawful places to be.

When we moved, there were some dishes that I couldn't find. When I went back to the old house, I looked in the dishwasher. Sure enough, there they were. So, my advice to you-LOOK IN THE DISHWASHER. It can't hurt. If it is empty, you are good to go, but if it is not, you will be glad that you looked.

Cat

Old 09-17-2019, 03:30 PM

Ha! That's great advice!

I have found some dishes I didn't know I had - above the refrigerator. You know, in those cabinets you never open - well, I never open them. I was like "why the heck do I have these????"

You know what I can't find - I can't find the base for a TV we have mounted. Anywhere. Interesting. I mean, we will probably mount it again but still...I know I didn't throw it away so where the heck is it?

Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Ha! That's great advice!

I have found some dishes I didn't know I had - above the refrigerator. You know, in those cabinets you never open - well, I never open them. I was like "why the heck do I have these????"

You know what I can't find - I can't find the base for a TV we have mounted. Anywhere. Interesting. I mean, we will probably mount it again but still...I know I didn't throw it away so where the heck is it?

We have been living in this house for 5 years now and there are STILL some things that I have yet to find. I know they are somewhere. Of course working on the yard sale, I am going through boxes that have been out in the garage and I am finding some things-and today I found some dishes that I didn't realize were out there.

With each yard sale, the garage gets emptier and emptier. My guestimation is about 3 more sales (including the one this weekend) and hopefully we will have all the crap...er...stuff gone. When we first moved in, you couldn't walk in there but now, you can. Yeah, we had A LOT. Most people would have sold most of it before they moved but we are in a better spot for sales now.

Cat

Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
LOL you're right - it would totally suck to die before I get to enjoy my new house, so I'll try to hang on. Honestly, I am so tired right now though! AND MOVERS COME WEDNESDAY. Wednesday and Thursday - and we're supposed to get storms and rain those two days. Oh well - at least it won't be hot and they can pull right up to the garage in both homes and unload so there's that.

I will be in a much better frame of mind a week from today. Today I got frustrated and ticked off by poor customer service at every turn. I mean it, every single interaction I had today was destined to irritate the absolute snot out of me.

You know what just ONE thing that happened to me was? Well, I'll tell you - long story short (regarding more poor customer service but I'm too tired to write it all out) I took my vehicle in today for an oil change because doggone it, I KNEW it needed one even though no sensors ever came on to tell me even though they had assured me two months ago "You can't forget to do the oil change - the car is programmed to tell you over and over again that it's time." Well, errrr, no it's not. Someone didn't set that up last time. I KNEW I had gone over - and yes, I had - and so I took it into the dealership, where I have already paid in advance for three oil changes, and they said, "Well, you're right and we're sorry" (Like I don't have enough to do already) and then they said, "But we can change the oil right now, and detail it and everything." Well, with a detail, I expected to wait about two hours or so - maybe even 2.5 hours. At three hours, after watching all these other customers come and go, I got up and said, "Hey. WHERE IS MY CAR?" "Oh wow, you're still here?" was the response I got, after I had been sitting right in front of them in the waiting area for three hours. "Yes. Where is my car?" "Well, let's see - Oh, it's being washed right now - we should have it any minute and we'll bring it around to the front." 30 MINUTES, 45 MINUTES - I'm standing up, walking around, pacing back and forth - and by now, since I didn't have lunch and it's 4 PM, I AM STARVING. Plus, you know - I have a lot to do anyway, and four hours in a waiting room isn't factored into my plans.

So I went back up to the desk and said, "HEY. WHERE THE HECK IS MY CAR??????" Get this. THEY COULDN'T FIND IT. Now, in their defense, their computer system was down because they were moving from one building to the next. But COME ON. FINALLY they found it - FOUR HOURS AFTER I GOT THERE. AND IT WASN'T WASHED YET AND IT'S PRETTY DIRTY BECAUSE I'VE BEEN USING IT TO MOVE BOXES BACK AND FORTH FOR TWO WEEKS. I WAS SO TICKED OFF.

So I don't know why I'm so tired - I didn't do anything other than sit on my butt for four hours today. Oh, in between runs to and from houses with loads of stuff.

But enough about me - let's talk about your winter colors which I absolutely love by the way. Be sure to post pictures because your kitchen stuff sounds really, really cute! I love that particular color combination and like you I really enjoy layering colors and textures - I think it adds so much character and charm!

omg, they couldnt find your car? omg, like they are kidding. ??

ill post in oct when i do the fall change thing, its still hot here now.....ugh..

Old 09-17-2019, 06:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Central PA so weather is not the best but we are using it the heck out of it. I'm sure even at 32-40F we will use it. Estridor with the fire pit on ... Yes it's another living space. We often fall asleep on our couches or hammock, with the fire going.
You did a great job! It looks wonderful. I think having a firepit is such a cool feature. May you use it many years with much enjoyment.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
omg, they couldnt find your car? omg, like they are kidding. ??

ill post in oct when i do the fall change thing, its still hot here now.....ugh..
Oh man I know the feeling - it's still hot here too. AND I AM READY FOR FALL TO GET HERE!!!!!

Here's what I've been doing - decorating and putting things in order in the new house. So far - but still waiting on a TV console and a cocktail ottoman in the living room, but I LOVE our new sofas!!!! SUPER COMFORTABLE!
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-breakfast-nook-9-19.jpg   What are you working on now?-living-room-incomplete-9-19.jpg   What are you working on now?-view-into-kitchen-9-19.jpg   What are you working on now?-foyer-2-9-19.jpg  

Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Well, for the past two weeks, while my husband has been out of town working, I've been corralling contractors and getting flooring laid in our new house, getting some walls and ceilings painted, light fixtures hung, etc.

I've also moved over just about everything that is not actual furniture. UGH. UGH UGH UGH. I have driven back and forth and loaded and unloaded so much stuff it's unbelievable. And I still haven't done the attic or the storage building or the garage. But the HOUSE IS BASICALLY DONE other than furniture, which is being moved by professional movers Wednesday and Thursday.

And actually I don't have to rush to do those other areas because we haven't sold the old house yet - I just want it to look nice when we put it on the market in October. SO WE'RE ON TRACK and I am about to freaking die.

Great news is that I've lost 12 pounds and I've been eating like a pig so I must be burning some major calories!
I had my house in TN a year before I retired in Georgia. It was 3 hours from door to door, old house to new house. I can't count the number of weekends I loaded up my Prius and hauled stuff from GA to TN....bearing in mind that I had to take my 2 dogs on each trip, so their crates took up a lot of space. The payoff was when I walked through the old house with the pro movers and the estimator would ask....is there a leaf for that table? Already in TN. Do you have breakables that need special handling? Already in TN. What about china? Already in TN. It was such a relief to have already hand-moved heirloom/breakable items and not have to worry about them getting damaged in the big move. Having a lot of the misc stuff in TN by the time I put the GA house on the market made for a much less cluttered presentation.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Oh man I know the feeling - it's still hot here too. AND I AM READY FOR FALL TO GET HERE!!!!!

Here's what I've been doing - decorating and putting things in order in the new house. So far - but still waiting on a TV console and a cocktail ottoman in the living room, but I LOVE our new sofas!!!! SUPER COMFORTABLE!
It looks like a great house, enjoy!

Also, re: Fall: If it makes you feel any better it is 86• here in Massachusetts yesterday, today and tomorrow. Summer's last gasp. Looking forward to those Fall temps again.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:24 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I had my house in TN a year before I retired in Georgia. It was 3 hours from door to door, old house to new house. I can't count the number of weekends I loaded up my Prius and hauled stuff from GA to TN....bearing in mind that I had to take my 2 dogs on each trip, so their crates took up a lot of space. The payoff was when I walked through the old house with the pro movers and the estimator would ask....is there a leaf for that table? Already in TN. Do you have breakables that need special handling? Already in TN. What about china? Already in TN. It was such a relief to have already hand-moved heirloom/breakable items and not have to worry about them getting damaged in the big move. Having a lot of the misc stuff in TN by the time I put the GA house on the market made for a much less cluttered presentation.

I moved about two hours away, from NH to MA and I had expected this to be my life for awhile. The problem was, this was all happening during the Winter and it took me a while to sort out the plowing and everything. I was also coming back & forth for work, so there was a lot going on.

So, I didn't really end up doing things they way I had anticipated after all. It all happened so fast, I sold my NH place and only had about 36 hours on each weekend to pack myself up over the course of a month. Ugh, it was a crazy, crazy time, But it all got done in the end. I'm not quite sure how, but it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating