Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 PM

67,637 posts, read 60,168,407 times

Advertisements

Wow, that is looking great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,480,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Right now we are changing over all of the brass knobs in the house. They were put in when the house was built in 99. we aren't replacing them ,we are using Rustoleum and changing them from brass to a color called chestnut. It's much better than buying 15-20 new knobs, especially since the ones we have are good quality.
When we did some updating in preparation for selling I used Krylon satin nickel I found at WalMart. Sanded with a light sandpaper and primed first.

Did ceiling fans, ceiling lights, bathroom light bars, etc. Really came out looking good.

Have you considered a coat or two of polyurethane since they are doorknobs and will be handled a lot?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,679,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When we did some updating in preparation for selling I used Krylon satin nickel I found at WalMart. Sanded with a light sandpaper and primed first.

Did ceiling fans, ceiling lights, bathroom light bars, etc. Really came out looking good.

Have you considered a coat or two of polyurethane since they are doorknobs and will be handled a lot?
Yes, we are doing that. The downstairs ones are done and we will do upstairs next week.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:15 AM

928 posts, read 3,429,439 times
Apparently I will be working on the yard!

My neighbors advised me to just rake my leaves onto my flower beds or leave them because they decompose nicely over the winter (Chicago winter) and will be good for the soil. Well that works great for their maple leaves. My oak leaves...not so much! Its a big mess.

I also need to "start" the design process for this house. Which begins with clearing off my drafting table, which has become the resting place for everything in my house that doesn't have a home yet. Then I need to measure the entire house and do the floor plan.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM

I used to mulch the leaves every fall by starting at the outside edge of my yard and mowing them so they were blown towards the center of the yard. By the time I reached the middle of the yard I had a nice fine leaf mulch that I could spread over the garden or leave in the yard.

Worked wonderfully. Ash and Kentucky coffee bean trees in back. Amur maple and crab apple in front.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:37 PM

67,637 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Just got my house ready for Easter dinner - I love having it filled with the people I love the most. I feel so blessed.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,927,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just got my house ready for Easter dinner - I love having it filled with the people I love the most. I feel so blessed.
Kathryn, that looks like a great setup! Happy Easter

Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM

Been putting together the work area in the garage. It's where a golf cart usually goes, but we don't have one so I get a smallish area for a work bench.

I've not taken any pictures yet, but the desktop is Candy Apple Red, the pegboard above it is Slate Gray and the rest of the garage will be a lighter gray. Still trying to decide what color the desk and drawer fronts should be. The desk was left by the previous owners and we didn't want it in the house because of the smell (smokers), and it seems to be airing out some in the garage. Painting it is helping as well.

When the areas is finished I'll post some pictures.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:51 AM

49,955 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I've got two layers, so I'm sure it will be labor intensive. If you have a magic secret, I'm all ears.
If you have a vinyl coating, make sure you use a perforator, and give the water enough time to soak in. I used to squirt and scrape, and I wasn't giving the water enough time to work.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,927,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I used to mulch the leaves every fall by starting at the outside edge of my yard and mowing them so they were blown towards the center of the yard. By the time I reached the middle of the yard I had a nice fine leaf mulch that I could spread over the garden or leave in the yard.

Worked wonderfully. Ash and Kentucky coffee bean trees in back. Amur maple and crab apple in front.
You could always rake them into a pile and then mow over it with your mower. Be sure to have your mower bag attached. This way all the ground up leaves will be in the bag and you can just carry the bag over to the flower bed. Free mulch compliments of mother nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating