Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 02:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times

Advertisements

Posted to the blog today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM

560 posts, read 595,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That fence is beautiful. But. There's always a but.

Do you live in a windy region of the country? I had a slat fence at our previous house and came home from work a number of times to find sections laying on the ground. Iowa has wicked winds during storms. The posts would snap off at the base. That solid wall of wood is going to catch a lot of wind with no relief.

Not wanting to discourage you from building that because it is a gorgeous fence. Just want to pass on something I didn't realize when I had ours put in.

And, yes I was talking about that band of yellow.
Thanks.

Thats something I really didnt think of... I have no idea how to do it but if in my hometown in Europe this type of thing is done and its usually called the wind capital then it can be done. Although techniques there are more towards masonry and a lot of concrete and real brick like this kind:

Im thinking of doing some kind of foundation of concrete blocks or just use steel posts like these ones:

and if its problematic increase the gap between each wood post like above. I think it would lower the wind resistance a bit.

I live in central PA not sure of the wind patters around here since i have only been living here 5 months or so.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM

In Iowa we sink holes 4 feet deep to get below the frost line, usually 10-12" in diameter. You need to do that because if the the foundation is too shallow it will "heave" with freeze/thaw and literally lift out of the ground. I like to pour a few inches of concrete in then set the post on that to separate it from the soil. then fill the remainder of the hole with concrete. Dome the top of the concrete so water runs off it. That keeps moisture away from the post. Whether wood or steel you don't want water standing next to it. You either get rot or rusting, neither of which is good.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,694,833 times
Lusitano, I believe your frost line is three feet.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:20 PM

Then they should go 4 feet. You need to be below it to prevent heaving.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:33 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,543,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
...Would you consider trying this on your stove top? It says it will brown a little over time around your burners. But maybe, it will last long enough until your buy a new stove.

Is the fifth picture, aunt Suzie's fruitcake that you found when you cleaned out your cupboards? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Ahahah thanks. It's just a sanding paper that served as a focus point for the camera! Lot of sanding to make that thing smooth!...

What's that product you linked? Yes we want stainless steel! We tried with spray paint on the old range hood just to try it out and it looked bad. We would love to have the range SS too but too much price for just a whim of wanting it SS when this one works impeccably. Have you actually tried the product? Does it work?...

I think what took the most time in this kitchen is actually something that is not seen! The inside of the cabinets! I didnt just paint them white. I wanted a smooth almost factory finish! It was a PITA to sand over and over in those places and inbetween each coat of primer and paint. The awkward positions and very tight spots made it very difficult. I think it was worth it though since everything is so smooth that it just looks it came straight out of a factory.

On the main shelves i did coat it with polyurethane for added strength and more smoothness
I just searched for stainless steel range top paint and found that product. No, I haven't used it. But I read that you just shouldn't try spray paint. This is supposed to be a special kind for kitchen ranges. Here are some reviews on Amazon, and here are some from Home Depot.

I totally understand what a PITA it is to paint the inside of installed cabinets. I did that every evening after work for a few days right after I closed on my house purchase. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was a squatter by my lovely, paint covered ugly clothes. LOL I didn't make all the efforts you did though.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:11 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We looked at granite and quartz today and we are exhausted. Three places at opposite ends of town with a stop at Sherwin Williams for the remodel touch up paint.

I'll get pictures in the blog either later tonight or tomorrow.

After going to all three locations we went back and looked at the Iguaza again and it's still our favorite, although there was one I really liked a lot. Mrs. Tek not so much so it's probably not getting the two thumbs up.

I'm finding I really like quarztite and some dolomite, but it's either really expensive or too soft. Darn.
Be careful with that quartzite. We bought a beautiful slab of it for our island...only to have it etch with acidic elements (pickle jar left on it for a few hours, a glass of wine) - and it also scratches easily. Apparently it is NOT quartzite at all, so you can imagine the fit we pitched. Long story short, we're getting it replaced at no charge - and we're going with teak this time. Our counter tops are soapstone LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. But we were shocked by our "quartzite" experience.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,464,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Cool thread!

I have been working on my kitchen for the past few weeks.

We live in a single family house ranch style and the kitchen was very outdated in my opinion. It has the country style and we are more modern style.

For afirst time diy i am damn proud of this project!
Looks great, you should be very proud! Just taking down that piece of scalloped trim in front of the windows worked wonders in going from country to a more modern style. I hate those things. I'll bet there were big smiles on two faces when that thing bit the dust .

Old 05-02-2015, 01:03 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,680,024 times
We are about to use Rustoleum to change the color of our kitchen cabinet. The current color is not bead, it's just that the finish is wearing off in some places. yes. I hate those things on the wall, but my hubby likes them..We are going with Toasted Almond. I don't want to go too dark as our bottom floor can be a little dark

This is the color we are aiming for

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 05-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: I think the first picture might not have been allowed

Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,694,833 times
Wow, nice kitchen! Envious!

Having some pretty good action on ebay so will def have some things leaving the house!

Put up my vintage Osterizer blender on ebay. Hardly use it, not worth moving. $1 at a garage sale. Off it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating