Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cleaning after remodel - still. Looks like it's going to take a few days. Things are covered with construction "dust" and it's everywhere.
Dusting is so much fun. I remember when we bought this apartment, they must have redone the floors and just left the dust everywhere. Took forever to wipe it out from every little crevice and then still you'd find a spot you somehow missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Weird question. Do you have a home phone? And if you do is it cordless? If you have a cordless phone's power plugged into an outlet near the micro, you might get signal interruptions if the micro is on. That happened to my next door neighbor & a friend of mine. My neighbor got rid of her home phone so it's no longer an issue.

Good luck. I remember my days of having appliances scattered around my house, then trying to coordinate the installs of the floor, appliances, cabinets & countertops & sink/faucet. what a joke.
No, we don't. Someone had previously wired a phone into the kitchen (when the actual phone line is based literally two feet from there on the outside wall???) and into the bedroom. We ripped the cord out since they were kind enough to just paint over it five hundred times.

Quote:
Plug every lamp you own into the outlets in question. Turn them on.

Turn off a breaker (note which one) and have someone list which lamps turn off.

Mass outlet mapping.
I know. We talked about doing that so many times (since we moved in!) and we still haven't. We will probably be doing it VERY soon out of necessity.

Now:
-Floors are done and look better than expected. Here's to hoping the groutable vinyl works out okay.

-Stove and microwave and new DW are here---nothing is set-up yet. New DW is in hallway, stove is in the middle of the kitchen and microwave is in the LR. Old DW is in the LR and we are hoping the ONLY PERSON who responded to our "hey take our free DW that even still works well!" ad actually comes and picks it up TODAY.

-Ordered the cabinets and countertop yesterday. Got home and thought to self that the previous cabinets had a spacer/cover from top to the ceiling and now wondering if I need to get the same. Oh well. I can always add that later. Cabinets might be here today though so where they are going??? Your guess is as good as mine!

-Started working on the walls and they are rough. Started looking into paintable wallpaper (which I had never even thought about but it might be a good option to cover my floor-to-ceiling mirrors in the LR or even using the easy peel ones) and was surprised that many of them had good reviews. Thinking about it for the kitchen, TBH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Someone had previously wired a phone into the kitchen (when the actual phone line is based literally two feet from there on the outside wall???) and into the bedroom. We ripped the cord out since they were kind enough to just paint over it five hundred times.
Same here. They had glued 1/2" diameter plastic pipe along the baseboards and up and over the doorway trim then put phone wire through it. They drilled through the family room outside wall, ran bare phone wired around the outside of the house, then did the same in the master bedroom wall. What a mess. He fancied himself a DIYer or an amateur electrician. What he really was was an idiot. Some of the electrical wiring he did should have burned the house down. I still can't figure out why that didn't happen.

The worst, though, is that a city inspector looked at all this and passed the house. Payola anyone?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Same here. They had glued 1/2" diameter plastic pipe along the baseboards and up and over the doorway trim then put phone wire through it. They drilled through the family room outside wall, ran bare phone wired around the outside of the house, then did the same in the master bedroom wall. What a mess. He fancied himself a DIYer or an amateur electrician. What he really was was an idiot. Some of the electrical wiring he did should have burned the house down. I still can't figure out why that didn't happen.

The worst, though, is that a city inspector looked at all this and passed the house. Payola anyone?
Yeah mine was actually brought through the kitchen, then back down the wall, then through the baseboard in the hallway, then back into the bedroom closet and viola!

Anyway, everyone on this forum always complains when people throw away stuff. Only one person responded to my ad for the FREE dishwasher that still works and he was a no show. So we had to bring it back up from the basement and bring it back into the apartment where four hundred boxes of cabinets are. Thanks guy.

I bought some wallpaper liner as an experiment. I want to see how it works on smoothing out walls. People gave it pretty good reviews so I am willing to try it.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Yeah mine was actually brought through the kitchen, then back down the wall, then through the baseboard in the hallway, then back into the bedroom closet and viola!

Anyway, everyone on this forum always complains when people throw away stuff. Only one person responded to my ad for the FREE dishwasher that still works and he was a no show. So we had to bring it back up from the basement and bring it back into the apartment where four hundred boxes of cabinets are. Thanks guy.

I bought some wallpaper liner as an experiment. I want to see how it works on smoothing out walls. People gave it pretty good reviews so I am willing to try it.

We have had the same problem several times recently. We ended up giving away a PERFECT fridge because we couldn't sell it for just a coupla hundred dollars - and it was only two years old and had an icemaker and was practically new. (We already had a new fridge and a "spare" fridge when we moved into this house, and the former owners had left this new fridge in the kitchen.) Even then, we had to give it to the Salvation Army.

Then when we renovated our kitchen, we had a two year old electric glass top stove and we tried to sell it for a few weeks at a rock bottom price - no takers. Then we tried advertising it for free - no takers. Then a tornado hit a nearby town and destroyed a whole neighborhood and we went to the charitable organizations there and told them we had a basically new stove to give away - no takers. Finally someone told us of a young couple who needed a stove (tornado victims) - I think this lead was from Facebook. Anyway, we FINALLY were able to give it away to them - after six months of trying to find someone somewhere who needed it.

Apparently we live in the land of excess. Who needs a used appliance when they can buy a brand new one? And I guess nearly everyone can buy a brand new one.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have had the same problem several times recently. We ended up giving away a PERFECT fridge because we couldn't sell it for just a coupla hundred dollars - and it was only two years old and had an icemaker and was practically new. (We already had a new fridge and a "spare" fridge when we moved into this house, and the former owners had left this new fridge in the kitchen.) Even then, we had to give it to the Salvation Army.

Then when we renovated our kitchen, we had a two year old electric glass top stove and we tried to sell it for a few weeks at a rock bottom price - no takers. Then we tried advertising it for free - no takers. Then a tornado hit a nearby town and destroyed a whole neighborhood and we went to the charitable organizations there and told them we had a basically new stove to give away - no takers. Finally someone told us of a young couple who needed a stove (tornado victims) - I think this lead was from Facebook. Anyway, we FINALLY were able to give it away to them - after six months of trying to find someone somewhere who needed it.

Apparently we live in the land of excess. Who needs a used appliance when they can buy a brand new one? And I guess nearly everyone can buy a brand new one.
I know how you feel. We have a lot of apartment/condo/coop dwellers around here, which makes it hard, and the houses in my neighborhood are often pricey, so they aren't looking for a cheap-o DW. Still I thought a landlord or anyone who just wants an easy replacement would take it. (There are a millions of people where I live so surely one could drive to get it, no?)

Even when we wanted to get rid of cheap shelving units, we had a bunch of people interested. But one guy wanted pictures, to meet at specific times, dragging everything on and on, etc. Look, take what you can get or don't take it at all---I'm not rearranging my entire schedule so you can get a $20 shelving unit for free.

The stores around here that take donations are also a bit difficult to work with. They only want specific things and will only pick-up at certain times. Sometimes they don't want your stuff and the one place I could drop-off (if they take it) is no where near here. We have a lot of guys who roam the streets for metal, so probably the next "bulk garbage" night I'll put a sign on the DW that says, "FREE - STILL WORKS - FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY TAKE IT AWAY!"

Honestly I would keep it and just buy a cover panel if a 24" DW would fit in my kitchen. But it doesn't anymore so yeah.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
I know how you feel. We have a lot of apartment/condo/coop dwellers around here, which makes it hard, and the houses in my neighborhood are often pricey, so they aren't looking for a cheap-o DW. Still I thought a landlord or anyone who just wants an easy replacement would take it. (There are a millions of people where I live so surely one could drive to get it, no?)

Even when we wanted to get rid of cheap shelving units, we had a bunch of people interested. But one guy wanted pictures, to meet at specific times, dragging everything on and on, etc. Look, take what you can get or don't take it at all---I'm not rearranging my entire schedule so you can get a $20 shelving unit for free.

The stores around here that take donations are also a bit difficult to work with. They only want specific things and will only pick-up at certain times. Sometimes they don't want your stuff and the one place I could drop-off (if they take it) is no where near here. We have a lot of guys who roam the streets for metal, so probably the next "bulk garbage" night I'll put a sign on the DW that says, "FREE - STILL WORKS - FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY TAKE IT AWAY!"

Honestly I would keep it and just buy a cover panel if a 24" DW would fit in my kitchen. But it doesn't anymore so yeah.
Reminds me of a garage sale I went to a few months back. This family was selling a few year old electric glass top range/oven. Yes it had a few scratches on it but according to the owner, it worked flawlessly and they were selling it for 50 bucks. While at the garage sale, there was a younger couple looking at it and they ended up passing on it because, according to them, it was too beat up for what they wanted. The funny part was that the scratches were on the side and in normal kitchens, they would have been hidden anyways. I think it is coming down to a generation where they want everything absolutely perfect and for next to nothing.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
All I can add is, we were selling a dining set on Craigs List and it languished for a few months before someone bought it. Sometimes it just take awhile for the right person to see it.
Also, sometimes its easier to donate things and write them off on your taxes.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Here's my latest project. I know it's technically outside but we can see it from our living room - LOL.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's my latest project. I know it's technically outside but we can see it from our living room - LOL.
Haha, very cute.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I can add is, we were selling a dining set on Craigs List and it languished for a few months before someone bought it. Sometimes it just take awhile for the right person to see it.
Also, sometimes its easier to donate things and write them off on your taxes.
I would be willing to do that if I had space. (And heck, I am just giving it away for free!) But right now I have a microwave in the LR, a dishwasher and a refrigerator in the office area, a stove in the middle of the kitchen and another DW in the hall. Plus all of the boxes of cabinets in the LR. I have my entire kitchen in my LR right now as well as my inflatable kayak under the dining table, which is also in the LR since I have more of a LR/DR. LOL. I have practically been on top of the management company trying to get a storage unit in my basement without any luck.

I'd have to donate I don't know how much for it to help me at all on my taxes. Husband and I both work (and have no children) so nothing really helps us. Our mortgage is so small that there is no tax deduction from that either. We just owe, owe, owe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating