Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

I'm really sorry you have had such bad luck. I really can't see how you could have done any more to avoid it, unless you had a crystal ball. All you can do is stick to your guns about paying until they make it right.

It is probably best, once you calm down, to talk to them as if you have confidence that they want you to be happy, even if you have lost confidence. You get more flies with honey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
We never left the house and stood over the workers until we were confident they were competent. Over 2 months stuck in the house all day. We were fortunate that most of them were pretty good and the contractor would fix whatever was wrong.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:39 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
I'm home but I work nights so a lot of my time is spent half-awake on the couch. I do not like people wasting my time when I could be sleeping, rather than sleeping for a few hours at most and heading to work.

I think my dad is coming to help install the stove today, so being able to cook again will be nice. Of course, they put all of the appliances in to make sure they fit around the cabinetry and did this during the time they said they couldn't come (and showed up anyway) and then I didn't even get to vacuum any of the dust.

Not only that but I think after I posted this, I went to try to start putting some things back on the shelves and found they put two damaged shelves up. That was something I forgot to look at (b/c I went to bed right after they left the last time they were here) but are you guys that dense?

More flies with honey, yes, but that is also why my current profession does not involve dealing with people directly.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Most contractors are of the devil.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Well, we installed the stove (and by we I mean my husband and my father) and OMG how nice it is to have a stove with a light inside, racks and working burners! I did just realize that the way they put the cabinets/fillers, though, that the over-the-range microwave will not be directly over the stove. It's mostly over the stove but it's slightly off---can I ignore that? Ha.

We also installed a light in the hallway. Basically like this: Shop allen + roth Bristow 13-in W Bronze Ceiling Flush Mount at Lowes.com

I haven't pulled the trigger on that other light for the kitchen yet though because even though I had a coupon (not for free shipping), the shipping was almost $27 and I had to pay return shipping if I didn't care for it. Ouch.

Right now I am trying to put stuff back into the kitchen! And not incessantly looking for kitchen storage and organizational items.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
Progress! Did you get rid of all your old appliances yet? Sorry if you've already posted that.

Is you kayak lonely now? LOL

Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Well, we installed the stove (and by we I mean my husband and my father) and OMG how nice it is to have a stove with a light inside, racks and working burners! I did just realize that the way they put the cabinets/fillers, though, that the over-the-range microwave will not be directly over the stove. It's mostly over the stove but it's slightly off---can I ignore that? Ha.

We also installed a light in the hallway. Basically like this: Shop allen + roth Bristow 13-in W Bronze Ceiling Flush Mount at Lowes.com

I haven't pulled the trigger on that other light for the kitchen yet though because even though I had a coupon (not for free shipping), the shipping was almost $27 and I had to pay return shipping if I didn't care for it. Ouch.

Right now I am trying to put stuff back into the kitchen! And not incessantly looking for kitchen storage and organizational items.
Long shot. I did a Google image search one one of the pictures you linked to and got this result. Anything trip your trigger?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ih=598&dpr=1.2

I suppose you don't live anywhere near one of Ballards stores.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I painted my front door last fall. This fall, I intend to paint the inside of my front door. Right now it is white, with white trimmed sidelights on either side. I only intend to paint the door itself. But it is tricky. I have to paint it a contrast color, but don't want to go too dark. And I intend to fake with brush strokes wood grain very subtly by brushing paint across the top and sides and bottom, and then brushing down each side, as if the door was made actual wood. (It is made of fiberglass.)

I am looking at various blues right now. It will be fun to choose a color related to what is already here, but not like any other color in the house. I do want more color variety in my home.

The walls of the hall where the door is are painted this color: moonshine 2140-60 Paint - Benjamin Moore moonshine Paint Color Details

In my light the color registers a very light gray blue.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Benjamin Moore is carried by Home Depot. Home Depot has this app. You might try using it. Reviews are mixed.

Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...coloryourworld

Apple

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proj...002417141?mt=8

Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Long shot. I did a Google image search one one of the pictures you linked to and got this result. Anything trip your trigger?

I suppose you don't live anywhere near one of Ballards stores.
No, they are no where near me.

I pretty much used google image search for any light I was somewhat interested in but that one was Ballard and the only picture to show up was a pinterest picture linked back to Ballard. Ha. I also want something that's wide enough to cover the ceiling where the current one is so most of those don't work for me. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Progress! Did you get rid of all your old appliances yet? Sorry if you've already posted that.

Is you kayak lonely now? LOL
Yep! They are all gone. We ended up putting out the DW---maybe someone picked it up, maybe someone didn't.

Yes, the kayak is lonely. (We had a name for it but I can't remember!) Supposedly there are no storage units available in my building and when my husband called the management company they played stupid and they supposedly don't even have a list of anything. (Last time he called they had no idea if there were units and told us to ask the super.) How does anyone keep track of anything? If they don't know, how do they know people are paying? It's like all we've experienced is one incompetent person after another. I want to be incompetent at my job and still remain employed!

Stuff is slowly being emptied out of the LR and put back in place. Helps us go through and get rid of some stuff as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating