Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:33 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times

Advertisements

Which currently has a dark tan color vertical blind. The bedroom has another large window with a matching vertical blinds, but not to the floor. The windows are adjacent at a 45 degree angle (two sides of one corner).

Those vertical blinds are hopelessly out of style and need to be a lighter color.

Though being able to close them at night is necessary (for visitors and resale), we don't. In fact, we dont close them at all - day or night. We certainly dont want blackout curtains - As long as WE live here, I doubt we would ever fully close them.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 10:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
For the slider we bought the honeycomb cellular shades, that open from the bottom up and also from the top down. That allows for light from the top while still providing privacy.

Instead of one really wide one, we split it and have two 1/2 length sets so one can be opened to go in and out while the other stays closed. We are selling this summer but are not worried about window coverings, people almost always change those when they buy. In fact we have changed all of ours twice since moving here.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:30 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For the slider we bought the honeycomb cellular shades, that open from the bottom up and also from the top down. That allows for light from the top while still providing privacy.

Instead of one really wide one, we split it and have two 1/2 length sets so one can be opened to go in and out while the other stays closed. We are selling this summer but are not worried about window coverings, people almost always change those when they buy. In fact we have changed all of ours twice since moving here.

That's actually a good idea. That way I could use lighter colors. THANKS!

Old 04-23-2024, 04:32 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Which currently has a dark tan color vertical blind. The bedroom has another large window with a matching vertical blinds, but not to the floor. The windows are adjacent at a 45 degree angle (two sides of one corner).

Those vertical blinds are hopelessly out of style and need to be a lighter color.

Though being able to close them at night is necessary (for visitors and resale), we don't. In fact, we dont close them at all - day or night. We certainly dont want blackout curtains - As long as WE live here, I doubt we would ever fully close them.

Any ideas?

I know a lot of people hate 'em (and I'm not a huge fan), but I don't think I've ever seen anything that looks better on a slider than a vertical blind in good repair.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Master bedroom slider: I have the pleated cellular shades, two across, in white. I pull those down at night for privacy. Over those I have a curtain rod with three sets of white linen-ish grommet curtains. They let light in without being too sheer.

Old Today, 04:36 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Any ideas?
Sure. Using sliders at all is what's out of date.

Imagine a front entry style- single door with two fixed lites either side ... or
Imagine a hinged pair of doors. They all get easily washed sheer panels.

Old Today, 05:49 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,553,824 times
We use really nice, silk curtains over our family room slider. With curtains you can get any color; solid, stripes, or patterns, and any thickness from blackout to sheer.

Old Today, 06:22 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
We had the same thing with a kitchen sliding glass door. The vertical blinds were dated but functional, and you could open them as the heat from the sun moved. We ended up doing something similar to this, although they were installed by the company--not this one--and cost considerably more than these do:

https://www.blindsgalore.com/product...room-darkening

Old Today, 06:47 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
We've had sliding doors on just about every house for the last forty years so I've had a lot of different options including sliding shutters which might be an option for you but I didn't care for them. They have a very heavy look to them and accumulate a lot of dust. My favorite is to have a double rod installed across the doors with sheer panels on the rod closest to the doors and solid drapes on the outer rod to close when we wanted privacy. You can only do this if the sliders are not too wide.

For very wide sliders, I put up one rod (installed professionally to make sure it can handle the weight) and hang sheer panels in the middle. On both sides I hang opaque drapes that are kept to each side when I want light to come through but when I want privacy I slide them to the middle to meet the panels that are pushed close together.

Old Today, 06:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Rolling louvred shutter doors work well also and have a nice appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating