Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 PM
g99 g99 started this thread

8 posts, read 11,879 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from one condo to another and have to sell my sofa and bed frame...both don't fit. Just to give an idea, I'm a "somewhat" young bachelor so I want something young, fresh, manly and elegant and classy at the same time. I might rent it out furnished in the near future so I want the place to look impeccable but I also want to keep my costs a little down

I posted a few pictures. It's a 2 bedroom condo - 750 sq ft.

When you walk in, the second bedroom is on the right. I'll be using it as a den. I have a black computer desk already with silver legs, nice desk which I'll be using.

As you walk in, the kitchen is on the left with the island right in front and then a rectangular open concept living/diving room.

I want to get a swivel bracket perhaps and mounts it on the wall, in the corner right in front of the balcony door on the right side. The left door is the sliding door. I have 3 bar stools already which will be sitting at the island.

Now, I need to figure out the living room bc it doesn't have huge width and a lot more length. As you see it on of the pictures which is facing the hallway and entrance door, you will see the frosted window..those are sliding doors which can open up bedroom 2. I own a glass bar table with 3 bar chairs. I want to either put that right in front of those doors OR sell it and put the sofa pretty much against those doors. I wouldn't mind a sectional basically going across and down the wall...so an L against the frosted doors shape. Do you guys recommend the kitchen table and chairs against the frosted door and the sofa basically next to it? If so, I'll have to get a small sectional so there's walk through space from the bar stools and the sofa in the lane of the open concept hallway. I can ditch the table and chairs and just put the sofa which will give me lots of room to walk around. With the bar table and chairs I'm pushing the sofa more to the center of the open concept room in front of the stools, therefore I'll have to shrink the size of my sectional to give walking space in between. I can always eat at the island. The bar table and chairs are more for the nice design and have less empty space in that living/dining room.

Another question I have...the floors are dark dark brown. The kitchen is dark brown and white. For the bed frame and sofa (which I have to buy), I was thinking about a nice creme colored sofa and a creme/brown queen bed frame. Have a nice brown carpet with the sofa maybe, not sure what to match the sofa with in terms of rugs and carpets. I also have nothing for the walls, no picture frames, canvases or art work, does anyone have any recommendations? I like the stainless steel ones, tacky? The unit is new so all white walls, do you all recommend a color for all of the rooms? I was thinking about painting prior to moving in.

I know I'm asking a lot and appreciate the help in advance Any other points or suggestions on basically anything, would love to hear it!

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Moving in to a new condo - help designing-90-park-lawn-1210.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2895068_2.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2895068_3.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2895068_4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Very nice space! Best advice --

-- GO SLOW!

I suspect that this space is considerably more "streamlined" that what may have dealt before and when decorating a space like that it really pays to go very slowly so you literally get used to living with the "minimalism" in the public space.

Kitchen is obviously a big highlight and stools sound like they work well.

Computer desk probably will work if it is sleek, but is that going in main space? I would think bedroom / den.

Not sure about "bar" and if want table too things could very very cluttered and ruin the clean line,

I would very likely NOT mount a TV to the wall, if you look at the fancy decorator magazines / web sites you more often see very "sleek" style stands / shelves / pillar mounts instead of pivoting mounting.

Similarly the kinds of furniture that would emphasize the clean line very likely do not include a "sectional" but instead things along the style of the architect Le Corbusier -- taut leather, nothing "floppy", maybe with chrome legs. Very clean, most folks would call it very masculine...

It would be nuts to put anything "solid" in front of the balcony doors -- keep the flow to them and the VIEW as wide open as possible, maybe just a chair or two...

Living Room. Contemporary Living Space with Exquisite Design Ideas: White Modern Living Room Design With Tufted Sofa Sets On Grey Rugs With Black Sleek And Wooden Table With Lamps ~ amecdes

Living Room. Contemporary Living Space with Exquisite Design Ideas: Black White Living Room Design With Stunning Wall Units With Lamp And Rugs Also Lounge Also Floating Stairs ~ amecdes

Living Room. Contemporary Living Space with Exquisite Design Ideas: Delectable Modern Living Room With White Sofa Sets And Short Table On Rugs With Floating Wall Units ~ amecdes

Living Room. Contemporary Living Space with Exquisite Design Ideas: Natural White Modern Living Room With Stunning Sofa And Table On Grey Rugs With Black Credenza On Wheels Also Wall Units ~ amecdes

Last edited by chet everett; 06-19-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
-- GO SLOW!

I suspect that this space is considerably more "streamlined" that what may have dealt before and when decorating a space like that it really pays to go very slowly so you literally get used to living with the "minimalism" in the public space.
THIS!.

My place is very similar architecturally to yours - and my kitchen looks an awful lot like yours, too.

Any chance you could post a floor plan? Even if you just sketch it out rather than a professional/official copy of the floor plan, that would help.

My recommendation is to go for minimalism - when you're in such a small, modern, sleek space, anything else looks very cluttered.

Think monochromatic color schemes with pops of color. White is always good in these kind of spaces. I'd think very carefully about brown, it tends to look more traditional. I'm not sold on the idea of a brown rug, I think if you were planning a cream colored sofa, you might want to stick with a lighter rug.

I've used grey with pops of orange and hot pink (depending on the room). My dining set is stainless steel, glass, and white leather. Which flows nicely into the living room, with a grey sofa and white leather/stainless steel chairs. Sleek glass entertainment center. I have 2 very small area rugs, mainly to anchor the room into 2 separate spaces.

I'll echo chet everett's advice to not mount the flatscreen to the wall.

Here's a few bits of inspiration:

Here

And here

And here

And one more.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I like it.

Would it possible to open up that slider and use the 2nd bedroom, the one that you are planning to use as a "den" as the TV room? That would give you the much needed wall space to hang the TV and it would open up the space making it feel larger. You could use the space next to the kitchen as a dining area that doubles as an office.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 PM

I really appreciate the help and responses everyone, thanks!

I took the advice about the tv...I did find one of those media centers with the two shlves and the LCD bracket for the tv. I think that would look nice. My tv is 52" so it will still block the right side of the balcony door but the sliding door is on the left going right so as long as I have walkthrough access to the left door, I'm good.

This layout is really tight b/c it's narrow...I have to buy precise on all my measurements for everything.

I could technically open up the second bedroom but I do like the option to have the glass doors closed, half way closed. I work from home so I like to have a quiet enclosed room for my office. I don't think my office desk, printer, computers and filing cabinets will look good in the main living room with the dining set next to it.

I found a couple other units in the building for sale, same layout...I'm not a fan with what they did. What do you all think?

I wish I had a smaller tv, I hate to sell this too and downsize the tv. I already have to sell my sofa, bedset and dining room set! I have bar stools in brown, so if I get the creme color furniture, I think I have to sell those too! lol.

Image 3 is something i had in mind, sofa there and tv maybe on the wall tilted and angled towards the sofa. I can keep my dining table near the sliding door like the pic, or eliminate it completely and push the tv closer to the sliding doors.

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2904622_4.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2904622_5.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2928913_2.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2928913_3.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2928913_4.jpg  

Moving in to a new condo - help designing-w2928913_6.jpg  

Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I think that something like the third photo will work.

A lot of your decisions hinge on how you will use the space. If you plan to have people over for meals frequently then keeping a dining table may be a priority. If it's mostly just going to be you then maybe the bar will suffice. If you use your TV socially (have people over to watch sports or movies together) then it probably makes sense to keep the current one in the LR. If you primarily watch it alone and keep it off when you have guests over then maybe it would be better to hang the large TV in your bedroom and just buy a small one for the LR to hang on a swivel on the wall.

I like others suggestions to take it slow. It may take getting into the space and trying out different furniture arrangements before you figure out what makes the most sense.

It's a nice space, a little challenging due to the layout. Please update us! I'd love to see how it turns out.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 AM

I currently have my bar table and 3 bar chairs. I use it maybe once every few months. If I had an island, I probably wouldn;t even use it. I personally eat at my desk while on the computer. I have guests, but not many at a time. I don't have kids. I personally don't need the table and chairs...if anything, it would just be for looks to make the place look nicer. Here's a little something though...I plan on renting it out furnished in the near future. So maybe having the table and chairs wouldn't be a bad idea. It doesn't take up too much space. See attached, that's my table and chairs.

The third pic is nice but I hate the fact that the tv isn't facing the sofa. I don't even watch tv though, just when I have a guest over. I need to perhaps move in to it and really think it over. I'm definitely going to post the aftermath once I'm done.

As for the TV, I currently have 1 46" LCD which was in my master and a 52" LED tv which was in my living room. Both big tvs lol. The master in this new place doesn't have a wall to mount the tv so I need to buy a slim queen bed set so I can possibly fit a piece of funiture at the end of the bed to mount the tv to.

fun fun
Attached Thumbnails
Moving in to a new condo - help designing-20140615_210353.jpg   Moving in to a new condo - help designing-20140615_210329.jpg  

Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
If you rarely even watch TV, put the 46" in the living room, sell the 52" and buy a smaller tv for the bedroom, or just go without one altogether in the bedroom.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM

I'm going to look at furniture, take additional measurements and figure this out when I move instead of rushing in to getting it prior to moving in. I should be in Jun 30. My 52" will look better, it's a new slim LED. My 46" is a little old school, thick LCD from 7 yrs ago. I'll post my progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating