Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM

5,840 posts, read 5,249,565 times

Advertisements

Beautiful house. I happen to like the brown, too.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM

17,446 posts, read 65,798,103 times
The "actual" or original door would be a T&G door and stained not painted. So, NO to the funky colors.

After closer inspection of the photo there is a storm door in front of the actual door- thats what's "painted" the dark brown. The actual door may infact be stained- hard to tell blowing up the photo.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The "actual" or original door would be a T&G door and stained not painted. So, NO to the funky colors.

After closer inspection of the photo there is a storm door in front of the actual door- thats what's "painted" the dark brown. The actual door may infact be stained- hard to tell blowing up the photo.
I fought my conscience for 4 years before I finally had to paint my wood stained door. I like it so much better. My house is more of an "architectural mutt" than a classic style, though.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
I like the brown trim. Paint the trim around the screened porch "windows" brown too.

I'd figure out a color to paint the siding on the porch that blends in with the brick color.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan357 View Post
Hey everyone, I just bought a new home and was looking for a way to brighten it up. I will be trimming the hedges etc, but was wondering if anyone can recommend anything else. I was thinking maybe picking another color for the trim and door other than the dark brown there currently, attached are pics, please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing any ideas.
They only thing I would do is remove the two taller trees flanking the door and the smaller ones alongside the landing and replace them with two fuller trees of the same variety at the front of the steps with smaller hedges behind them running up to the house. I'd also get rid of the "penis" bush. Or is it a middle finger?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,497,369 times
I agree. Keep the dark brown but do something with that white window. Can you paint it brown? If that's too much brown, you could also paint the front porch a medium gray that would tie in with the roof and provide a contrast. If it's possible, I'd consider stripping that front door and staining it too.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
I agree with the others, the white windows have got to go, they must be brown. The rest looks fine just the way it is. Maybe the front door could be a color if you like, I too think hunter green or something along those lines would look good.

But other than that, it looks really nice to me.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Hire 2 people for a total of $400.
1. Landscape architect to give advice.
2. Color expert to give advice.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire 2 people for a total of $400.
1. Landscape architect to give advice.
2. Color expert to give advice.
Or OP, you could just paint the front door a color you like and if you don't like it, paint over it. Paint is cheap and fun! I think you know you have definitely got to get rid of that white window though.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,239 times
Thanks for the great advice guys. I actually painted the front door a bright red. Now, I'm wondering if I should paint the the exterior storm door the same color, or have it replaced with an all glass door that will directly show the front door? The windows are new and modern vinyl, can i paint right over that? Also, I was thinking of taking down all the glass and screens on the front porch and making it "open" and then repaint the whole thing brown and put some over hanging flower pots under each of removed window of the open porch. Already cut down the two pine trees in front of the house and started tackling the big bush to the left and the pine tree being it that was obscuring an original lead glass window, will post pics soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating