Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,587 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just bought my first home and am looking to do a little work on the living/dining/kitchen area to start.

As you can see it's a little dated with the wood paneling and boring matching cabinets, etc., so I'd love to make it a little more modern feel with the color scheme, maybe grays/browns/whites. I will have new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen.

I'm also looking into re-surfacing the fireplace and getting an insert. Instead of the brick, maybe a type of flagstone?

The color of hardwood I really like is in the second pic (if it's possible to restain to something close to that?) and I was thinking maybe gray-tone walls with new white trim for the wall without wood paneling.

My mom thinks I should just paint over the wood paneling, but to me that seems like it'd only look worse.

Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought a place - any advice with this? (pics)-panorama-downstairs.jpg   Just bought a place - any advice with this? (pics)-medismaplecherryspice.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Leave the floors for later, as you may come to love them. I would paint the paneling as this is a cheap and easy fix. You can rip it out later if you hate it.

Painted cabinets are all the rage right now. You can pick a medium gray for those and a light gray for the paneling. I made the mistake of getting light cabinets and I am always scrubbing them.

Here is a great look for a modern take on paneling.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...9dc3a8ddef.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...ba888316bc.jpg

Here is a lady who painted her white cabinets gray. I so want to do this, and if have only lived with them a few years. Keep scrolling and you can see the white and the gray cabinets.
http://www.susieharrisblog.com/2010/...racefully.html

The fireplace might not look so bad once the rest is painted. Red and gray is a classic combination. Then you just put in a new insert.

Here is a makeover from better homes and gardens that looks fantastic.
http://www.bhg.com/decorating/firepl...places/#page=2

Last edited by Meyerland; 07-01-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdforest View Post
Hello! Just bought my first home and am looking to do a little work on the living/dining/kitchen area to start.

As you can see it's a little dated with the wood paneling and boring matching cabinets, etc., so I'd love to make it a little more modern feel with the color scheme, maybe grays/browns/whites. I will have new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen.

I'm also looking into re-surfacing the fireplace and getting an insert. Instead of the brick, maybe a type of flagstone?

The color of hardwood I really like is in the second pic (if it's possible to restain to something close to that?) and I was thinking maybe gray-tone walls with new white trim for the wall without wood paneling.

My mom thinks I should just paint over the wood paneling, but to me that seems like it'd only look worse.

Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback!
OOh, cool floorplan! There's a lot to like about your new place!

I love the hardwood floors. If your current ones are in decent condition, I'd hold off on refinishing them for now, but that's just me. They look warm and inviting.

Have you considered painting your kitchen cabinets and replacing the hardware? You could go with a gray-green moss green sort of color, or a rich cream, or a taupe. That would really update the look without breaking the bank.

I like your idea about resurfacing the fireplace with flagstone - I'd definitely do that!

Painting wood paneling CAN look really good, because painted paneling isn't just flat, boring sheetrock - it has a texture. What do you have to lose? If you don't like it, you can just tear it out and install sheetrock walls, maybe with a stucco look. I do think that the paneling is too dark and dated a look.

Please keep us posted with pictures as you start and finish projects!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I really like your new place. Have you checked out any pictures of what painted over wood paneling looks like? I'm actually a fan but it totally depends on your taste.

Should You Replace or Paint Paneling? :: Hometalk
Before & After: Sarah’s Real World Makeover | Design*Sponge
House Renovation: Week 12, Paint That Paneling, People! - Southern Hospitality

Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,587 times
Wow, thank you all for the great responses and checking out my place. I was a little hesitant with the painting over the paneling idea but the pictures posted and all your words actually changed my mind.

Some really good ideas in those pics Meyerland. This definitely gives me some ideas moving forward. Keep you all posted on the progress!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
the knotty pine panelling is lovely, it would look great sanded and colourwashed.

I agree on the kitchen, paint it and give it some new handles and you'll be amazed how much better it looks.

If you aren't into the floor you can always sand and refinish that too, lots of work but at least you have real wood and not laminate.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Leave the real knotty pine paneling alone and paint those clashing kitchen cabinets.

http://thedecorologist.com/designing...-wood-paneling

http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2012/01/...wood-paneling/

The floors are glorious!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
I love the wood paneling but that is definitely a LOT of wood. I'd definitely rip it out rather than painting it but I'd consider leaving it on either side of the fireplace as an accent. The rest I'd just take out and drywall.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Knotty Pine Paneling Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor
These photos show knotty pine but in a modern way. If you wanted to keep it as is(I think it's nice) you could add substantial white trim around the window and doors. Brightening up the kitchen with either new cabinets or painting the existing cabinets would make a huge difference.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I like it. You don't say what style of house you have, but I do not hate the knotty pine. It looks like the real deal. What is bad is that the floors, paneling and kitchen cupboards are all the same tone. Especially bothersome to me is the color of the island.

I, too, would paint the kitchen cupboards and the island and get new hardware. I would get rid of the awful fireplace screen.

I would take out the shelf to the right of the fireplace, and decide how to make the fireplace wall a focal point, either by staining that wall a darker tone or painting it. If you want to do the flagstone or other stone over the brick, that would be great. Choose a shade of stain for that wall that you pull from the new stone.

Those things being done, I would get a nice big richly colored area rug, some fabric on the window, and paint the white walls a coordinating color. Then stand back and see if anything else really was needed. In my mind, its already looking warm, inviting and finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating