Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

My only quibble with this post is that you lumped all of it into "HGTV". I also don't like HGTV either. It's fake and most of the designers are mid-level quality at best (a few good ones). However, there are still several things that you listed that I do love. They have NOTHING to do with "HGTV" specifically and everything to do with personal taste.

In other words, on a venn diagram of home design, on one side you have HGTV-driven design and the other side you have architecture, design and personal taste (in reality you would have many circles covering different styles of design but still..) and in the middle there WILL be some overlap, so to lump everything that HGTV likes into one pool and then be anti-that is almost as silly as being someone who salivates watching HGTV.

Give me a well-built, energy efficient, and compact house (maybe 2000ish ft2 for me) to start. But I am a very aesthetically driven person and architecture and design are something I really enjoy so I always spend a little extra on things I like (think full overlay doors).

But don't take this the wrong way. I am VERY glad that you did your OWN thing! That's the key here. Don't be Anti-HGTV (because next think you know, next year everything you love may be big on HGTV), be anti-trying to be something you're not. This means don't feel bad if you, by coincidence, happen to like things that HGTV pushes! If you want granite and HGTV loves granite don't feel guilty. But if HGTV wants white cabinets and you want black, get black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I did notice the other day on "house hunters", the woman said: "yes, I am a big fan of quartz counters"....................OMG, dont tell me now it is going to be Quartz, and not granite.................
The trendiest stuff will always change. I have liked quartz for years and granite has been really popular. Quartz has started to become more trendy and is definitely popping up a lot on something like HGTV, but the key here is that I still like quartz myself and plan to install it soon, so who cares if HGTV starts pushing it.

If it becomes the new defacto I just better not hear anyone say my house is "HGTV" because I have liked quartz before HGTV was ever pushing it. Eventually almost everything everyone likes will be "HGTV" at some point. So as I said in my previous post, the point shouldn't be to be anti-HGTV. Just be yourself. If it matches HGTV's current tastes, oh well! If not, oh well!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
love the first post and I agree with most of it. I too decorate my apartment they way I want it, NOT what some moron on HGTV tells me I am supposed to have.

I have black onyx bead board kitchen cabinets with black appliances and an exposed brick wall, looks pretty to me, and if I ever deceide to sell I am not interested in what I think a potential buyer might want 10 years down the line, I don't care, there is a buyer for everyone.

I love the part when the builder says to you, "where will you hang the TV". (not everyone has a hung TV)

Ugh, to me, a hung TV on the wall is about the most ugliest design trend ever to happen. It is uncomfortable to watch, and looks plain ugly. I love my TV inside my cabinet which the doors close when we are not watching it and it becomes a piece of furniture in the room, not a ugly focal point. One day, all will say, what were we thinking of?????, and they will, just a matter of time.

I did notice the other day on "house hunters", the woman said: "yes, I am a big fan of quartz counters"....................OMG, dont tell me now it is going to be Quartz, and not granite.................

I still have my big huge console t.v. that I bought back in the '80s. (Remember those?0 No way that it going to get hung on any wall. lol. What I like about that is you can put your DVD player, your satellite/cable box and other stuff, not to mention pictures/nicknacks on top. You can't do that with a flat screen.

Cat

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Many eons from now an advanced civilization will dig up all this granite and wonder if we prayed to the granite Gods or something.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:55 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
I'm with you, almost every "upgrade" they show my reaction is EWWW ... YUCK.

Where did they get this TV over the Fireplace crap?

Another thing why some of these people want gigantic Bedrooms?

Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM

As far as TVs over the fireplace I hate it. But I love TVs hung on the wall at the right height. I don't know how a wall-hung TV at the right height is any harder to view than a TV sitting on a media console or in a cabinet at the same height. TVs hung on the wall at an appropriate viewing height will not be going away any time soon.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I love what you did and I think you did the right thing by putting art over the fireplace rather than a tv. It's so much more pleasant to look at.

About twenty years ago I rejected buying a house because the kitchen had hardwood floors. Even back then I thought it was a stupid idea. Kitchen floors, of all places, need to be washable and durable. What if the dishwasher overflows or what if you spill something? What about all the bits of juicy tomatoes and other veggies that fall on the floor? Totally impractical to try to keep a hardwood floor clean and in good condition when it's in the kitchen.

Otherwise, I love hardwood floors and hate carpeting. Good for you for making your house practical and livable and not being a slave to Big Business who wants us to do this and buy that. Think for yourself!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I still have my big huge console t.v. that I bought back in the '80s. (Remember those?0 No way that it going to get hung on any wall. lol. What I like about that is you can put your DVD player, your satellite/cable box and other stuff, not to mention pictures/nicknacks on top. You can't do that with a flat screen.

Cat

yes, exactly!!

I have the TV, Hi-fi (LOL), DVD player, cable box, Cd's, etc, all BEHIND closed doors that looks like a nice piece of furniture when the doors are closed. It works for my Living Room.

and I like the look of a piece of furniture, because not every time I'm in the LR the TV is being watched, so who really wants to look at it, and it isn't the center of our home life either......

Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I'm with you, almost every "upgrade" they show my reaction is EWWW ... YUCK.

Where did they get this TV over the Fireplace crap?

Another thing why some of these people want gigantic Bedrooms?
that I will never figure out. Just how large does the master have to be, and why does it have to have a view.? Besides sleeping what else does one need to be in there for?

Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Great post! Summarized our taste in 'reality' as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating