Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM

122 posts, read 306,443 times

Advertisements

I finally finished building a home where I put in what I wanted, not what HGTV has been telling me what I wanted. And I'm sorry, I just feel the need to shout from a mountain top (or at the very least, post on an internet forum). It is refreshing to buck a trend and do what makes you happy.

I had the builder move the fireplace to a corner. "But we designed this so you can see the fire while watching TV. Where will you hang your TV?", the builder asked. Well, I hung my TV at an acceptable height off the ground, measured with a laser pointer from the height of my eyes while sitting down on my furniture. This resulted in the center of the TV being 40" off the ground. Too bad, HGTV, I'm not going to crank my neck to watch TV because somebody decided that a TV should hang over the fireplace as art.

Speaking of which, I put a very large painting over my fireplace. I like that it makes that corner the focal point of the room, and NOT the TV.

I got rid of all my silly throw pillows. Some people are throw pillow types. Me, I just look at them as clutter that I need to move every time I wish to use my furniture (which is daily), and then a chore to put back.

In the kitchen, I did not put a hardwood floor. I've had to replace a warped floor after a dishwasher malfunctioned while I was out of town. Never again. I don't care that HGTV tells everyone that we need hardwood throughout. So my hardwood goes through the breakfast nook and transitions to tile where the cabinets begin. Oh, and the tiles I put in place? I went with 12x12. I just don't see the gigantic 24x24 or 12x24 tiles you see on all the design shows holding up to the test of time.

I don't like white cabinets. I went with a medium tone on maple. They look like wood. I am not ashamed. I don't care that all the design shows are pushing white, or if you must, go with the dark espresso color. I also went with a partial overlay. I really prefer the full overlay, but it didn't make sense for me financially. I'm tired of the HGTV agenda that pushes a design aesthetic that costs substantially more while providing no additional function. If you can afford the look, go for it. But I really take issue with how non-functional design is often pushed as a "must have", even at lower end/starter homes. If you are going to break the bank, why not break the bank for something that improves your lifestyle, like a bigger deck, or a fancy range.

*small voice* I did do a glass tile backsplash. I know they aren't popular around here, but I actually really like them! I'm sure I'll like this one still in 20 years when they have gone the way of coppertone appliances.

I didn't buy a counter depth fridge. The upcharge plus the loss of space did not make sense to me. I'm sure one of those dorky brothers or the insufferable Flip or Flop couple from California would make a comment about how the fridge sticking out 3" disrupts my "flow".

I didn't put in a frameless door in my master shower. Like the overlay cabinets, there is no added function to the price tag. Maybe it is something I will tackle as a DIY project down the road.

I took out the his and her sinks. I like having a long counter top for me to put a lot of stuff. My bathroom is not a museum. I like having all my hygiene and beauty products in arm's length. Can't do that if there is an unused sink there instead.

My deck is not an "outdoor living space". It has a grill, and a small patio set that I've been hauling around for 15 years. No over the top water features, built in cooking surfaces, or furniture more ornate than what is in my home. Yet, somehow, I've managed to have people over and "entertain" and had a good time out there.

I'm sure if I were to sell my home tomorrow, I'd get RE agents and buyers complaining about these things. But I'm not, and I for one am tired of being dictated to what is on trend or good taste by HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
LOL! Your house sounds a lot like ours, and those of our friends and neighbors.

Most older people don't buy into the HGTV thing.... seems to be for the young newbies of homeownership, who have yet to know what THEY want.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Good for you!! I can't agree with everything (love my throw pillows!) but that's the point. Everyone should do what makes them happy, not try to guess what some imaginary buyer in the future might prefer. Look at women's fashion. There was a time when only short skirt were in style or only long skirts and then pants were long or wide or whatever. Today, you see a wide variety and there's room for everyone's style. I think homes should be the same way.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
I hate hardwood in the kitchen. Looks great though.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,914 times
"the insufferable Flip or Flop couple from California" LOL

OMG i thought it was just me....that couple has no personality whatsoever. I cannot stand that show. They are just so blah. I am not crazy about the Fixer Upper people, either.

Anyway, I have always wondered why people put hardwood floors in a kitchen. It seems kind of silly to me. There is a reason why "kitchen tile" was invented.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Fashions come and go in home design. Function, durability and flexibility is more important.

In new construction, who says I don't want a large living room, who says I don't use a dining room, who says I want a cathedral ceiling, who says I want yards of ugly yellow granite ? Trends and fads.

Give me a solidly built energy efficient house that's low maintenance inside and out and has good square footage- please

Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
It is YOUR house and you should do whatever you want.

I confess that I do like watching HGTV but there are times when I find myself yelling at the t.v. "NOOOOOOO!!! Don't do that!"

Cat

Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
The whole HGTV thing is a trend. Make your house how you want!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
love the first post and I agree with most of it. I too decorate my apartment they way I want it, NOT what some moron on HGTV tells me I am supposed to have.

I have black onyx bead board kitchen cabinets with black appliances and an exposed brick wall, looks pretty to me, and if I ever deceide to sell I am not interested in what I think a potential buyer might want 10 years down the line, I don't care, there is a buyer for everyone.

I love the part when the builder says to you, "where will you hang the TV". (not everyone has a hung TV)

Ugh, to me, a hung TV on the wall is about the most ugliest design trend ever to happen. It is uncomfortable to watch, and looks plain ugly. I love my TV inside my cabinet which the doors close when we are not watching it and it becomes a piece of furniture in the room, not a ugly focal point. One day, all will say, what were we thinking of?????, and they will, just a matter of time.

I did notice the other day on "house hunters", the woman said: "yes, I am a big fan of quartz counters"....................OMG, dont tell me now it is going to be Quartz, and not granite.................

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I did notice the other day on "house hunters", the woman said: "yes, I am a big fan of quartz counters"....................OMG, dont tell me now it is going to be Quartz, and not granite.................
Its just a counter ya know? Laminate is just as good for setting food on but these newbie fancy pants HGTVrs dont think that way,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating