Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,106 times

Advertisements

We've waited forever to get our elevator installed. We finally have a date for final completion, 8/18. We live in Philadelphia. It's now the 10th. Problem? We just found out that the find door the builder supposedly left us for the basement elevator opening is not on site. Anywhere. No chance to get another from him.

All other doors in house are 8' high. At this point we don't care if it matches anything else. The basement is unfinished. I will take anything - even a slab - i have someone who could build me a jamb. Any suggestions for sourcing?? vintage, old, surplus sites, anything!?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I don't know about timing; but you could try Nick's-

Knotty Alder Doors - Alder Interior Doors

Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
We have a great nonprofit called Construction Junction that recycles building materials. You could find an old door and refinish it.

Via google, I fond the following for Philadelphia:

Doors & Windows | Philadelphia Salvage Company

Store

Here's a list of 9 of them in Philly: How

Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Try a Habitat For Humanity Restore. They may have something.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Have you tried an home improvement store? 8' is not that common for residential, but they might have at least one in stock and then you can order another one.

You can also try Probuild. ProBuild Store Locations | ProBuild They should have more stock than a typical home improvement place and they sell to builders, but will usually do a one off for a homeowner. Surely they will have a 3'0x8'0 door laying around.

Next stop would be any commercial door company. That is a definitely a common size for a commercial door and they absolutely will have some laying around, I would bet my life on it, but you may have to take a solid core door.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 13,106 times
Thank you all so much for your responses. If I don't get the door, at least I have some great Philadelphia locations to explore. Home Depot and similar stores do not have what i need. We have found some potential luck with a commercial supplier to the trade that might come through for us. Lastly, someone mentioned a "temp door," that the elevator company might accept - we're looking into that. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating