U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM

4,675 posts, read 8,120,404 times

Advertisements

Pale, pale green. I have it in my den with chocolate brown carpeting.

Keeping with the candy theme, my neighbor said it reminds her of Andes Mints!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,268,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi group,

I need some help selecting a paint color for my master bed and bath in my contemporary home. My bedding is chocolate brown and my end tables have a definite red hue to them. The tile I've selected for the master bath has brown/rust/red/silver tones (Oxido from Cifre | Arc Stone and Tile). My floors are red oak with a stain TBD, but probably a lighter shade.

I could probably go safe and choose a beige-ish/taupe-ish color for the walls, and I also considered a red clay-like color, but there's not enough contrast between the wall paint and the bedding. Any suggestions on a good wall color? Since the bedding and tile is pretty dark, I'm imagining a lighter color is best.

Thanks in advance.
If you choose a neutral color that is somewhat light you can use any color bedding and accessories you want to add color to your room.
A new bed in a bag is much less expensive that painting your entire room again in 6 months when you get tired of brown linens.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,494,372 times
Chiming in here because I had to paint out black, neon purple, deep green, and now dark brown walls.

It has taken me close to three coats of premium tinted primer and two more of the color to wipe out these dark colors.

Please! Unless there is a very good reason to use dark colors, go with neutrals. Put up some dark-colored paintings or dark pattern fabric in frames, but leave those walls light. The next person who has to paint will thank you.

Of course, if someone has to sleep during the day in a south-facing room, there is validity to using a dark color, as well as good quality light blocking drapes, but short of a situation like that, please consider staying with the neutrals.

And I agree with a light blue. A light tan would also work.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,031,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How about charcoal grey, a steel blue grey or teal?

All of those colors go well with chocolate browns.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I viewed the tile...it appears to have some small amount of grey in it as well.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM

25,490 posts, read 16,422,448 times
Wow, lots of warm brown tones with also the warmth of red. I like pale blue with brown, but like the previous poster, I'm over it. It isn't a trendy look, and I feel it would be dated. I recommend a cooler color though, with all that brown. I think orange walls is probably too warm, for sure.

You could try some cooler greens, remembering that you get really pretty grayed greens now. I'm not talking Kelly or emerald green. The more yellow in the green, the warmer it will feel, so try for a bluer version.

I have a lot of red brown and red in my family room, and I painted the walls a gray/taupe, but I've accented with aqua and blue greens. The color I chose is Hot Springs Stones

hot spring stones AC-31 Paint - Benjamin Moore hot spring stones Paint Color Details

I chose this because it seemed to look really nice with some red leather furniture I have. And it also looks good with the dark brown furniture that is also in the room. There is a red cast, or undertone to this grayish taupe. To my eye though, it is cooler than red or brown. At any rate, it works well for me. Perhaps it would work well for you? So here are two possibilities for you to explore.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 AM

21,993 posts, read 13,067,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wow, lots of warm brown tones with also the warmth of red. I like pale blue with brown, but like the previous poster, I'm over it. It isn't a trendy look, and I feel it would be dated. I recommend a cooler color though, with all that brown. I think orange walls is probably too warm, for sure.

You could try some cooler greens, remembering that you get really pretty grayed greens now. I'm not talking Kelly or emerald green. The more yellow in the green, the warmer it will feel, so try for a bluer version.

I have a lot of red brown and red in my family room, and I painted the walls a gray/taupe, but I've accented with aqua and blue greens. The color I chose is Hot Springs Stones

hot spring stones AC-31 Paint - Benjamin Moore hot spring stones Paint Color Details

I chose this because it seemed to look really nice with some red leather furniture I have. And it also looks good with the dark brown furniture that is also in the room. There is a red cast, or undertone to this grayish taupe. To my eye though, it is cooler than red or brown. At any rate, it works well for me. Perhaps it would work well for you? So here are two possibilities for you to explore.
That is my main color in my home - it's an open floor plan and I have that for the l-shaped living room and dining room, plus the stairway and the hall. I love it and it looks great. 7 years after I painted, practically every day, I look at it and think how great it looks!

I have green leather furniture and a fair amount of wood in medium dark colors and it looks great with those.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM

25,490 posts, read 16,422,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That is my main color in my home - it's an open floor plan and I have that for the l-shaped living room and dining room, plus the stairway and the hall. I love it and it looks great. 7 years after I painted, practically every day, I look at it and think how great it looks!

I have green leather furniture and a fair amount of wood in medium dark colors and it looks great with those.
What do you know? Its a good color, isn't it? Neutral but not totally boring.

I also have green leather, along with the red in the room. Sounds strange, but it looks fine.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,432,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How about charcoal grey, a steel blue grey or teal?

All of those colors go well with chocolate browns.
I was actually considering teal, but worried about being too dark.

Perhaps something like this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/389623/M...bedroom-newark

Last edited by NC_Paddler; 08-18-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Some good options, thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Mediterranean SW 7617 - Blue Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Deep Sea Dive SW 7618 - Blue Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating