U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,815,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Grasscloth is usually easy to remove with wallpaper remover and water mixture.

It can also be painted successfully.

But, for the same reason it's easy to remove, you should not use a water thinned primer (latex) for the first coat - the water might loosen the grasscloth.

Use an oil based primer for the first coat and you should be OK.
I used latex paint on mine and it was just fine. IDK what the original homeowner used to put that stuff on the walls, but it wasn't going ANYWHERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM

546 posts, read 1,555,342 times
So I took a closer look at the wallpaper...you can't really see any seams and I am realizing they must have put the wallpaper on before they completed the bookshelves and crown molding...so it is underneath a bunch of the trim and woodwork. This means the texture of the walls is probably not going to look the same as the rest of the house because I am thinking they probably did the wallpaper and wood in this room instead of texturing. Hmmm.....think I am going to complete a test area with some paint and check out the results.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,721,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The den in our 1973 ranch has painted-over grasscloth, and it DOES look cool the way you thought it would. The texture really gives the neutral color some interest. It brightens the room ... one whole wall in that room is a stone fireplace, and below the chair rail was paneling. You can imagine how painting all the walls highlighted the stone and lightened the space.
Are you still living there, I would LOVE to see a picture of the wallpaper painted. I have some that is a tan/cream color that I would like to whitewash.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Are you still living there, I would LOVE to see a picture of the wallpaper painted. I have some that is a tan/cream color that I would like to whitewash.
I will try to post some before and after pics. For some reason I can't ever figure out how to put pictures here. But yes...if you are able to post pictures of what yours looks like painted that would be awesome. I would love to see how it turned out.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM

Winter01 I would love to see your pictures. I made a thread about how to upload the small photos here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/about...l#post36096665

If you give it a try and have any problems let me know.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,114,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I will try to post some before and after pics. For some reason I can't ever figure out how to put pictures here.........
I also explained how to post pictures here: //www.city-data.com/forum/29436835-post66.html

Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info on how to post pictures. As soon as my kids go back to school next week I plan to start this project and I will try to upload the pics. Yay for a new project!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,368,062 times
My mother had the same brown grass cloth paper on the walls of her library. It was very old, in a historic, Victorian home, but was in excellent condition with nice tight seams. She painted over it with a beautiful, deep, oxblood burgundy and it came out beautiful; the texture looks very nice.

I would imagine that you will need quite a bit of primer if you are going over it with a light color.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 PM

My grass cloth is light tan on a white background now so I want to just dry brush white it a bit. Very excited to see how it turns out for others.

Bmachina can you get a picture of your MIL's wall?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:16 PM

374 posts, read 420,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I have been pondering how to redo my study for over a year now. It is the only room of the house that has not been updated and is right off the front entry. We have some beautiful dark wood bookshelves and also some real wood on the walls and around the window. It is not the ugly paneling type--it actually looks well done. The problem is the room is just too dark. On one of the full walls and the wall with the window/built in window seat there is some 1970s looking straw colored grass cloth wall paper. I was going to have it stripped but one of my friends suggested painting over it with a light/ neutral color and the texture would look cool with the paint. My fear is it will look crappy and the wall paper will be even more difficult to get rid of. Any opinions or experience with this?
Grass wall paper is horrible to work with, paint over or make look updated. Trust me. I had a custom mountain home that had the stuff wall to wall up to the soaring ceiling, in one room. I tried everything. Pulled it all off and repainted. Only problem was the original owners cheaped out with drywall as the flaws wouldn't show. We didn't know that till we pulled it off. Had to redo somethings. Totally worth it in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating