U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,366,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Bmachina can you get a picture of your MIL's wall?
Sorry, but I moved out of state, so it's a 9 hour drive to take a picture now, lol.

She used white trim against the deep, oxblood walls and it came out pretty striking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,999,886 times
I have seen lots of painted wallpaper (never grass cloth though), and none of it has even looked passable to me. My mother bought a house with painted wallpaper, and you could clearly see the bubbles and sems. I've had professional painters try to talk me into letting them skim coat wallpaper and then paint over it. I wouldn't even do that.

I say take it down, have a painter come in and spray on some texture, and then you can paint.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,719,617 times
I would never paint over wallpaper ordinarily either, having seen horrible jobs of it. But it sounds like grasscloth works for some and doesn't for others. Might be the quality of the paper or the amount of paint on it. Still interesting.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I have been pondering how to redo my study for over a year now. It is the only room of the house that has not been updated and is right off the front entry. We have some beautiful dark wood bookshelves and also some real wood on the walls and around the window. It is not the ugly paneling type--it actually looks well done. The problem is the room is just too dark. On one of the full walls and the wall with the window/built in window seat there is some 1970s looking straw colored grass cloth wall paper. I was going to have it stripped but one of my friends suggested painting over it with a light/ neutral color and the texture would look cool with the paint. My fear is it will look crappy and the wall paper will be even more difficult to get rid of. Any opinions or experience with this?
Hey Winter01,

I cannot say I have actually experienced a similar situation, as I have never considered attempting to paint over wallpaper. As a previous user suggested, under most circumstances it is a pretty terrible idea, and I really hope you don't actually go through with it.

I think your best best would be to strip it, as irritating as it sounds. As for your room feeling 'too dark', I think that the best course of action would be to put up wallpaper featuring a stark black against white design. For example, a neat idea would be to purchase wallpaper that gradients from a black bottom to a white top, giving the room a renewed sense of height and vibrancy.

As for removing your old wallpaper, I hope that doesn't pose as too much trouble for you. When you're done with that and are ready to freshen up your room and life, be sure to check out [url=http://www.blackandwhitewallpaperlist.com/]Black and White Wallpaper List - Your list for top Black and White Wallpaper[/url] They have a bunch of ideas which have inspired myself and many others as they pursued wallpaper solutions.

Best regards,

persined

Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 AM

50,100 posts, read 39,800,875 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1415627678

Wow - I just wanted to see how this works - cool! I attached a picture! GO ME! (I've been using photobucket but I haven't liked the smallness of the photos.)

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM

25,348 posts, read 16,307,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I painted grass cloth in my old den & it looked great. But it took a TON of paint! Like 3 times as much as it would've taken on drywall. Never had a problem with it pulling away or anything.
I like your answer! Why not try?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,940,312 times
I'm currently redoing a bedroom that has dark green grasscloth, or at least that's what I think it is. I'm sure someone once spent a fortune having it installed, but I think it makes the room look too dark. Anyway, I decided to try to paint over it. To make a long story short, it looks great in a lighter color. However, I'd suggest using primer first. Primer would be cheaper for the first coat and the grass cloth seems to drink paint. Figure on at least two coats if you're painting over a darker grasscloth.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM

422 posts, read 118,035 times
OP, I recently retired after over 50 years as a decorating contractor. Do yourself a favor. Remove the wallcovering, meticulously wash off all paste, repair as needed, prime with a 100% acrylic primer, then top coat with a quality material in whatever color and finish you like. It's a lot of work, but in the end you'll be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating