U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 01:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,003,119 times

Advertisements

My desk is ancient and decrepit. It still works (well, one drawer is crooked); but the paint and actual wood (or veneer, not sure) is falling off. I've had it for decades.

I want to replace it, and I'm thinking this weekend, when there's a tax holiday not too far from me, is a good time to do it. I plan to sell my condo within the next year, and wouldn't want Ye Ancient Dilapidated Deske to be around anyway when I put the place on the market.

I've never bought a desk before (this was inherited). I have to get a narrow desk, because the place where I have it in my bedroom is narrow, and the desk needs to hold a lot, so it can't be wider (well, deeper actually) than 18" (current desk is 45w x17.5d x 29.5h), which has limited my options.

The desk I have my eye on seems expensive, but looks like it's nice quality. Is birch wood considered good, or stable, or something to last? The price is $889; for that price I would like something that will last (and hold a small TV and a computer and telephone.

Circle Furniture - Rossport Desk | Kids Desks Cambridge | Circle Furniture

I plan to get it in white.

Do you think that the price is fair, or it's too highly priced, or doesn't seem to be a desk that will last a long time? I have Googled and Googled and not found too many other narrow desks with drawers, except for one that had a drawer for the keyboard, which I don't want.

Or should I wait until I sell the condo and move into a new and smaller condo before getting a new desk? I plan to make sure the walls of whatever place I buy are eventually painted white, and would probably keep the bed I have, and the dresser (which are both dark wood, so I think that getting a white desk for white walls would be better than dark or even natural wood); though I'm not sure that I'd keep the desk in my bedroom or put it elsewhere.

Last edited by Regina14; 08-13-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,185,898 times
NO way to tell the quality of the piece from the website.
Dovetailed drawers on rails?
Mortise & tenon?
Solid wood? Birch veneer?

I never buy furniture that I do not see in person. I am fussy about quality.... plus I only buy American made.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks for answering, Pitt Chick. I do plan to look at the piece before I make the final decision, they have one in the store.

I called and checked - most of the desk is "real wood", definitely birch, not veneer. The sides are plywood, "to help them stretch".

I don't know what mortise & tenon are...

Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 PM

25,466 posts, read 16,415,619 times
Mortise and tenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can look things up. You have a computer.

If the sides are plywood, then they are perhaps veneered to the extent that the outer layer of the plywood is birch?

I suggest visiting a high end furniture consignment store and looking at old desks to get the feel of quality furniture. Also visit retail furniture stores, look at desks and ask a million questions, especially if the salesperson appears knowledgeable about his or her lines.

In other words, do research before buying.

Your chosen desk is at least a cut above the stuff at Target, but how much above is hard to say by looking at a pic. But take a look at it yourself, to see if the drawers are nicely made and how well they work. And look at other desks at a variety of other location. Learn how to spot quality. It is a life skill.

And its fun to look!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 AM

39,184 posts, read 48,160,480 times
This does not look like a $900 desk to me. I would keep looking.
Have you looked on Overstock.com? there are hundreds of desks for much less, with free shipping.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM

48 posts, read 71,945 times
Quote:

Or should I wait until I sell the condo and move into a new and smaller condo before getting a new desk?
If you plan on moving to a smaller place, I would recommend waiting. When my husband and I downsized from 2100 sq. ft. to 1600 sq. ft., we didn't realize we would have to replace most of furniture. We also had major unplanned repairs from things our useless inspector "missed", which ate my new kitchen appliances and counter budget. I'm still angry about replacing windows and doing major siding repairs, for a flashing problem that an inspector should have been able to recognize.

Would it be possible to sand down your desk and give it a new paint job?

I found an old, but sturdy 42" desk for $13 at a thrift shop with great drawer space for my entryway. The desk just needed a good cleaning and new paint job. I sanded it down, painted it with Dark Walnut spray paint, changed the brass knobs for nickel, and it looks almost as nice as the PB Printer's Small Desk Set, MSRP $649. With the new knobs and paint, the total cost was around $40 and a few hours of work spread over two days.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,493,051 times
I bought my last desk at one of the office supply stores (Staples or Office Max). They have many small desks that are easy to move around and much less than $900.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Thanks to all who have commented. I've decided to wait on buying a new desk, at least for the moment; and possibly until I move to a smaller apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating