Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 PM

439 posts, read 959,376 times

Advertisements

Hello..

My hubby and I just purchased a large home and are in the process of buying furniture to out fit it.
Like others we are hitting all the regular retail stores that advertise all the time.

In show rooms everything looks so wonderful, sales folks are so nice until I go home and look up their reputations and then my dream of a certain grouping goes up in smoke.

I feel most of the issues I am encountering are related to crap coming from China. One reviewer stated that most of the furniture comes over from China in big shipping containers and is relabeled with USA company names so there is no quality inspection. Even what I consider a major name store that a particular female star advertises for has a laundry list of complaints for shoddy furniture.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with furniture lately..sofa, loveseat, chair and tables etc that had lasted more than a year? I am getting very concerned.

Worst case is I guess I could look for used ...or retro which is very expensive however I can't afford to make a poor choice and be out over 3 grand.

I just moved to Tucson Arizona...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Here in PA I have many choices, of good furniture made in the USA.
I refuse to buy Chinese crap...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Furnished my entire 1896 Victorian at antique stores.1/4 the price solid wood and no chineese chemicals. stuff will last another 100 yrs.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
How to find and buy furniture made in the USA

Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP check out estate sales where you can find older quality furniture at bargain prices.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The good furniture shops used to be in Highpoint, NC.

North Carolina Furniture Directory featuring famous name brand furniture at discount prices direct from the manufacturers outlets and discount furniture stores including High Point NC furniture outlets

They carried all the good brands and you could save money by going into a high end furniture store, picking out what you wanted, and ordering it directly from one of the stores in Highpoint.

I don't even know if those brands are made anymore and, IF they are still made, are they any good?

I would never buy junky low quality furniture. Furniture should be comfortable, durable, beautiful and last a long time. I am just about ready to suggest buying antique or second hand to be able to get real wood and quality workmanship.

I purchased a beautiful upholstered chair recently second hand and I don't think they even make good chairs like this anymore unless you pay around $3000.00. I paid under $20.00. We are loaded with antique shops and second hand stores around here. I don't know about Arizona. Maybe you can find something decent on Craig's List too. I would not settle for cheap junk, especially when it comes to furniture.

If you are new at buying furniture, you should educate yourself (if you need to) about how to determine quality and then go on the prowl. I would never look down on second hand, antique, estate sales, and (horrors) even thrift stores. It's amazing what is donated when someone passes away so if you know what you are doing, yes, you can sometimes find excellent furniture even in a thrift store. You must know what quality is when you see it--that's the trick.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Here you go
Modern Furniture - Room & Board
most of the furniture is made in the USA

Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM

439 posts, read 959,376 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. I have previously found a beautiful solid walnut bedroom set at a used furniture store so that is where I go next.

Craig's list does have stuff also however when I look at the pictures and see where the stuff came from I can see why they are selling it

I just need to be patient...I believe there are many unique stores here in Tucson that need for me to discover.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM

186 posts, read 427,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hello..

My hubby and I just purchased a large home and are in the process of buying furniture to out fit it.
Like others we are hitting all the regular retail stores that advertise all the time.

In show rooms everything looks so wonderful, sales folks are so nice until I go home and look up their reputations and then my dream of a certain grouping goes up in smoke.

I feel most of the issues I am encountering are related to crap coming from China. One reviewer stated that most of the furniture comes over from China in big shipping containers and is relabeled with USA company names so there is no quality inspection. Even what I consider a major name store that a particular female star advertises for has a laundry list of complaints for shoddy furniture.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with furniture lately..sofa, loveseat, chair and tables etc that had lasted more than a year? I am getting very concerned.

Worst case is I guess I could look for used ...or retro which is very expensive however I can't afford to make a poor choice and be out over 3 grand.

I just moved to Tucson Arizona...
I would stay away from these big commission based furniture stores (Raymour, Mealeys, etc). If you have a flexible budget and want to spend $$ on high quality, made in the USA furniture, I highly recommend Room and Board.

I have purchased several items from them and all of their furniture is hand made in the US using quality construction and materials. Their customer service is superb and will replace or exchange any damaged items or items that simply don't work in your home as well as you thought. Most of their stuff is semi-custom so you can choose your wood, etc.

It's pricey but to me, reasonable, and not as pricey as replacing something half the cost every year or so...

Crate and Barrel has very nice seating options and the quality is pretty good, though I think most of their stuff is made in China.

Also, don't fixate on buying matching sets. Do your research and think about one or two major necessities and build from there. This will allow you to spend more money on higher quality items that you will love for a lifetime.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
There are definitely still Made in the USA, high-quality products out there. My wife and I have purchased several quality pieces this way because we refuse to buy crap furniture for our main pieces. Most of the cheap stuff looks terrible in addition to being poor quality.

There are actually quite a few options out there still. We worked with Younger Furniture out of NC to get a custom sofa and they did an excellent job and the quality is top-notch. We have also bought multiple pieces from Room & Board and have been very pleased with their quality as well. It's not cheap, but worth the price to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating