U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM

102 posts, read 82,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I've sat on extremely comfortable "streamlined" sofas with good back support (important for me as I have back problems) and horribly uncomfortable old fashioned over stuffed sofas. Looks can be deceptive and you don't really know unless you try a bunch out to find one that suits you. Also, not all sofas designed for apartment living are "modern" styled. There's a wide range of styles now as there is a greater demand for less bulky furniture.

As for the tv and sofa distance, I can't tell but your tv looks to be about 40", which would make the optimal viewing distance from your seat to the tv about right at 2m or so. I know you mentioned it being less space to walk through there, but how often are you going to be walking back and forth in that space since it's not a through way?
I think thats the best wall for the TV to be honest, the thing is getting the right seating...

Another option im liking is this one but i thing the option you said with a low streamline sofa is probably best... the TV is 37" and i measured and its 3.30m from the sofa so i guess its just that im not used to having it so close.. I would like to get a bigger one and mount it on the wall in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have a similar sized living room so I get what you are saying about the TV feeling too close when arranged in certain ways. Maybe you could put the couch on 3,30m wall facing the dining room. Put the TV on the 3m wall and maybe have a chair near the door. You may not be facing the TV directly to watch but you can still see it from that angle.
I tried putting it at an angle and was a bit strange.. like having the TV infront of the window.. it doesnt look that bad... it just isn´t very practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,149,608 times
That looks like a decent setup you have now until you decide to buy new furnishing. It gives you a clear walk through to the couches and a line of sight to the tv if you put a desk and chair in that back area.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That looks like a decent setup you have now until you decide to buy new furnishing. It gives you a clear walk through to the couches and a line of sight to the tv if you put a desk and chair in that back area.
What do you think would be best when i get new furnishing? An L sofa cutting across the room and going down by the window like that other photo but less intrusive?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTunes View Post
What do you think would be best when i get new furnishing? An L sofa cutting across the room and going down by the window like that other photo but less intrusive?
Personally, I would go for a straight sofa facing the tv, and 2 occasional/arm/club/slipper/whatever style you prefer chairs side by side (with a small side table between them if there's room) in the bay window so you still get the L seating arrangement, but having the 2 separate chairs actually provides more seating in a more comfortable arrangement for guests, and flexibility to use the chairs in different configurations or even separate rooms when you move again.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Personally, I would go for a straight sofa facing the tv, and 2 occasional/arm/club/slipper/whatever style you prefer chairs side by side (with a small side table between them if there's room) in the bay window so you still get the L seating arrangement, but having the 2 separate chairs actually provides more seating in a more comfortable arrangement for guests, and flexibility to use the chairs in different configurations or even separate rooms when you move again.
But then you can't open the windows :/

Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
But then you can't open the windows :/
Buy lower backed chairs (a lot of club chairs typically have lower backs) that don't impede the windows. They're not chairs you will sit in consistently and for long periods of time, so as long as they're comfortable for guests, or when you want to sit there to read a newspaper for an hour or something it's good. You will spend most of your personal lounging time on the sofa.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM

Best compromise I think

Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 PM

8,532 posts, read 11,434,192 times
You could do something like this for the top area opposite the patio doors to maximize your space. Ikea has these type tables.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hing...w=1246&bih=655

Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 AM

Where the door slides?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:32 AM

8,532 posts, read 11,434,192 times
Quote:
Where the door slides?
That would depend upon how you want to use the space and only you would know that. Another option you might consider is https://www.google.com/search?q=tabl...vBDFEQ_AUIBygC.

If you hover over the image you can get additional info and then shop for the best price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating